Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview, 2/17….thud
I hadn’t fished PV since the first week of February, so decided to go and give it a try yesterday.  My only two trips this year were to the Narrows across from the Caretaker’s place, and both of those trips were duds, so I decided to give Windsurfer a try yesterday.  If you don’t want to read further, there is no happy ending , so be warned.

Got out on the ice at 5:30 in 60 FOW.  Spoke to a few groups and none were having any luck whatsoever.  One guy had been there since 10:30am and had not caught any fish with his group.  No perch, no crappie, no trout…nada.  I should have taken that as a sign of things to come, but I had faith that despite the current intel and past poor performances, it would be different.  Drilled a hole and immediately saw fish suspended between 30-45 feet down.  Set up the tent, got poles in water by 5:45….and nothing until 9pm when I picked up.  Fish would look but no takers - not a single bite.  Tried several combos - white Halie with yellow rat finke above, perch buckshot with chartreuse tear drop above, white with green and black kastmaster with glo rat finke, regular jig head…tipped with yellow and white nibbles, waxie, mealworm, and gulp minnow…nothing worked.  Lots of fish swimming through and quite a bit of movement from the bottom to about 8-10 feet from as well.  As Tube Dude said, maybe they’re full after chowing on other stuff all day.  Next time, it will be a morning outing to test the theory.

Ice is good.  Solid edges, 4” clear with another 5+” of cloudy on top.
Craig and I are looking to get up there for an evening this week. How is the walk from Windsurfer for a couple of older guys?

jack of all tackle, master of none
There is a trail that leads down most of the way (goes from the center of the parking lot down and to the left). There is one bump about 4’ where you might need to remove a few things from your sled so they don’t spill out. With two guys, wouldn’t be a problem (I did it by myself). Other than that, it’s not a difficult, or long, walk whatsoever.

Hope you guys do better than me. In 3 trips up there this year (twice at the caretaker’s shed and last night at Windsurfer), I’ve caught 3 total crappie during the evening “bite”. It’s been 180 degrees from last year’s results.
Thanks for the current Ice condition report on Pineview, MWSCOTT.    Sorry your catching was terrible.  I will be heading up there in the morning to give it a whirl!