Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 02/19
After the positive reports on Rockport and the slow reports on Pineview, I decided to give Rockport another chance.  The last time I went to Rockport, the edges were soft, needed a long plank to get on and off and the ice was sketchy.  Reading MWSCOTT's last report pretty much finalized to me the RP was done for the ice season.  Then Jmorefish's report was encouraging so decided to try it, after all, I now have a float suit after reading about Freakyfisherman's experience going through the ice the same day I was at RP and had no issues.  Got a later that usual start, started fishing at 9 a.m.  Lots of people on the ice, the most I have seen all season!  Edges were solid, no issues getting on.  Ice was about 10" with the bottom 2.5" solid ice, the rest looked like refrozen slush/snow.  It felt solid, I had no concerns walking on the ice.  Started in 32 FOW, had to dig several holes to locate the fish, finally stopped in 44 FOW and was there for the duration.  This time I set a size limit so I wouldn't bring back too many fish.  Kept 8"+ size.  Kept 23 fish, returned 25 fish, things started to slow down around 11 when I left.   I was happy to get on the ice, feel safe, and catch my beloved, tasty perch!  Thank you so much for those of you who were willing to post the ice and fishing conditions!!!
You know it is a wierd year when the best ice at RP is end Feb. Glad you got into them. Lots of local out there today also on Echo. Ya know I don't think we have had a Lost Creek report all year.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(02-19-2024, 09:00 PM)icerman Wrote: After the positive reports on Rockport and the slow reports on Pineview, I decided to give Rockport another chance.  The last time I went to Rockport, the edges were soft, needed a long plank to get on and off and the ice was sketchy.  Reading MWSCOTT's last report pretty much finalized to me the RP was done for the ice season.  Then Jmorefish's report was encouraging so decided to try it, after all, I now have a float suit after reading about Freakyfisherman's experience going through the ice the same day I was at RP and had no issues.  Got a later that usual start, started fishing at 9 a.m.  Lots of people on the ice, the most I have seen all season!  Edges were solid, no issues getting on.  Ice was about 10" with the bottom 2.5" solid ice, the rest looked like refrozen slush/snow.  It felt solid, I had no concerns walking on the ice.  Started in 32 FOW, had to dig several holes to locate the fish, finally stopped in 44 FOW and was there for the duration.  This time I set a size limit so I wouldn't bring back too many fish.  Kept 8"+ size.  Kept 23 fish, returned 25 fish, things started to slow down around 11 when I left.   I was happy to get on the ice, feel safe, and catch my beloved, tasty perch!  Thank you so much for those of you who were willing to post the ice and fishing conditions!!!

Thanks for the report, glad you were able to get on and off the ice with no problems, sounds like you did good getting 48 perch in just two hours. Did you notice anyone around you catching fish?
(02-19-2024, 10:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 09:00 PM)icerman Wrote: After the positive reports on Rockport and the slow reports on Pineview, I decided to give Rockport another chance.  The last time I went to Rockport, the edges were soft, needed a long plank to get on and off and the ice was sketchy.  Reading MWSCOTT's last report pretty much finalized to me the RP was done for the ice season.  Then Jmorefish's report was encouraging so decided to try it, after all, I now have a float suit after reading about Freakyfisherman's experience going through the ice the same day I was at RP and had no issues.  Got a later that usual start, started fishing at 9 a.m.  Lots of people on the ice, the most I have seen all season!  Edges were solid, no issues getting on.  Ice was about 10" with the bottom 2.5" solid ice, the rest looked like refrozen slush/snow.  It felt solid, I had no concerns walking on the ice.  Started in 32 FOW, had to dig several holes to locate the fish, finally stopped in 44 FOW and was there for the duration.  This time I set a size limit so I wouldn't bring back too many fish.  Kept 8"+ size.  Kept 23 fish, returned 25 fish, things started to slow down around 11 when I left.   I was happy to get on the ice, feel safe, and catch my beloved, tasty perch!  Thank you so much for those of you who were willing to post the ice and fishing conditions!!!

Thanks for the report, glad you were able to get on and off the ice with no problems, sounds like you did good getting 48 perch in just two hours. Did you notice anyone around you catching fish?

Honestly, I wasn't looking around, I was too busy watching the tip of my rod!
(02-20-2024, 01:10 AM)icerman Wrote:
(02-19-2024, 10:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Honestly, I wasn't looking around, I was too busy watching the tip of my rod!
I can imagine, especially catching that many, it must have been non stop action.

Nice going..and getting on the perch!..With that many people out on the ice that I saw Sat. and probably Sunday, and for you today, I'm kinda surprised that no one else is reporting here on RP....but I was also surprised you found 10" ice??..and I was in 4.5" on Sat..did you observe air temp. when you arrived?
It was like 18 degrees when I got there Monday.
Just FYI be very careful up there at Rockport. Ice conditions vary dramatically by location on the lake.
I’m
Assuming that report was “damn” end of the lake. We Fished off the west side more on the south end on Sunday the 18th, the ice was about 5.5 inches maybe, half clear half grey. It was cold and pretty sound. Fishing was good 6 of us kept just shy of 6 limits we found them shallow enough we could cull, they were decent sized fish we kept. BUT, seeing warmer temps and the ice conditions. We decided it would be the last time we fished that end of the lake. Maybe any of the lake . When temps are very cold that grey ice can be pretty solid, when warmer it loses a very significant amount of strength. Be very careful with these recent warmer temps and or even rain. Conditions can deteriorate very quickly from safe to not. Please use good judgement check don’t assume . No fish is worth a disaster or death.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life