Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Cold Water Trip 2/24/2024
We got to the lake about 7:30. Air temp upper twenties and water in the harbor 41. We fished until 2 P.M and found one willing catfish and one willing white bass that knew how to hold on. For the cat it was just a weird ride and then it returned home but for the whitie, it was total commitment!

[Image: 11-4-feet-and-41-degrees-in-harbor.jpg]

Both fish hit a small piece of chub minnow behind a #8 clown pattern SnG moving about 0.5 mph. We had 3 or 4 other other hits that appeared to be WB but they didn’t know how to hold on.

Coolest water we found was 39 and warmest was 42. Winds were calm to about 7 MPH
We fished off the new delta from 3.5 to 8 FOW, no takers.

[Image: Bald-Eagle-and-Balloon.jpg]

Moved over to the area off the old bubble up and fished 3.5 to 5 FOW and got the one cat in just under 5 feet and a little north of the pipe.

[Image: Jon-s-first-kitty-of-2024.jpg]

After we found the pipe, we followed it out crisscrossing and lost it in 8.5 FOW. Just after we left it, Jon got a white bass 12.5 inches long. We invited it in for bait.

[Image: The-Pipe-in-9-2-FOW.jpg]

[Image: White-bass.jpg]

As we left heading for deeper water I had a hit on a piece of thawed WB and then another that was on for a few seconds on a worm. Both seemed to be WB.

Next we left and went a mile farther from shore and fished in 11 FOW for 20 minutes, nothing.
Then father north to another “Hole” about the same depth, zippo.
Last we went halfway back to the harbor in 10 FOW and gave it 20 minutes. Nada.

When we returned to the harbor, there was a bank tangler on every rock! We didn’t see them catching any fish, I think they were just enjoying a slightly warmer day.

We expected slow fishing with the fish widely scattered and we got it. It will improve as the water warms, but I have to think there must be some concentrations somewhere (we didn't go) or we would have caught a few more cats. 

At least the first UL trip of the year wasn't a skunk (for Jon anyway) Smile
Thanks for the report. The whities and the catfish will be out to play soon.
(02-28-2024, 05:50 PM)BoatBallast Wrote: Thanks for the report.  The whities and the catfish will be out to play soon.

Thanks BB! You are right, it will get better for both soon. I think they could both be caught now in the right spot, we just didn't find much. It is a really big lake!
Thanks for the report Jim, nice to get a first trip under way for the year... Congrats on avoiding the early skunk... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!