Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fished Currant Creek 2/29
Hunting for some tigers today we went to Currant Cr. No tigers were harmed. We did take home a limit of black rainbows and one orange colored rainbow. The skin kind of matched the flesh of a bow? Maybe a cross between an albino and a bow?

We noticed an area where there were lots of holes drilled and thought 1. It must be a good spot and lots of people fished there. 2. Fishing in that spot wasn't so good so they drilled lots of holes trying to find the fish. For us it was a number 2. 40 ft of water and a couple of bites at about 22-25ft.  We moved out toward the middle of the lake and fished in 80 ft caught fish at 20-25 ft. They didn't come in schools. It was more like spring ice fishing speed of catching (slower catching). Still a great outing. White sparkle tube jig with dirt worms or wax worms.

Edges are solid. 4 inches of snow on top of 6 inches of  lightly frozen slush with over a foot of ice. By afternoon the weather was so nice you could break through the soft crust into the slush. Staying on the sled tracks was ok for walking. No problems traveling with the snowmobiles. We had the place all to ourselves. Quiet like ice fishing is supposed to be. Wink

The road in was in about as good of condition as the road into the berry. It was nice to have 4x4 on a couple of the hills on the way out that had softened up.

One off topic rant. The parking lot just off hwy 40 at the road leading to Soldier Cr. dam is still occupied by the clean up crew. I thought it was only going to take 2 weeks. There is no where to park if you want to get to the dam on the road or lake. Angry First world problems I know....
Thanks for the report, nice to see some ice still semi good... One day I may have to try that pond, but somehow the Berry would have probably drawn me away after traveling that far... Thanks for the report... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Great detailed report, we sure don't get many from Currant creek. I 'm surprised the road is passable this time of the year or did you drive snow mobiles part of the way in? I could be wrong but I believe albino trout are rainbows. Any size to the bows you caught?
(03-01-2024, 02:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great detailed report, we sure don't get many from Currant creek. I 'm surprised the road is passable this time of the year or did you drive snow mobiles part of the way in? I could be wrong but I believe albino trout are rainbows. Any size to the bows you caught?

They plow the road all the way to the dam with plenty of room to turn the truck and trailer around. The last 1/3 to 1/2 is still snow packed. The bows were 14 inches and fat. Good smoker size. It was interesting the albino was skinnier than the rest.