Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on Willard Bay North
The Post about Willard Depth map got me to thinking.  I used to bank tangle off the North Dike, then they closed the gate to the small parking lot by the North dike entrance.  

I started fishing the South West dike, accessing out of the South Marina campground, and fishing all along the dike from the water inlet to further South.

Seeing the depth map, it looks like I have been been fishing the shallower part of Willard.

I checked a google map of Willard and see that they now have the pond and access parking by the North Marina.  

Questions twofold.  Is the pond opened for fishing?  Can you park and walk out on the North dike from what looks like parking for the pond?
I used to launch my float tube from the beaches around the campground...during high water times.  But it has been low water for a few years and it has been awhile since I checked conditions.  And I know they have changed the rosd system inside the campground...and also the state park facilities.  But if you can drive to the far NW corner of the campground...and park somewhere outside of a designated camp area.,.there is no charge for plain parking.  And you can make a short easy hike up onto the dike.  Might be worth checking out.
[Image: NE-CORNER-2.jpg]

Thanks for the info. I have looked at the google map years before the North Marina improvements, and yes, I thought it looked like I could park (day use) where you are talking about and walk out. Just never tried it, and continued to fish the South end.

Now I think it will be worth a recon trip to see what the situation is for access to the North dike. Thanks again.
(03-01-2024, 07:57 PM)Crimson Wrote: Thanks for the info.  I have looked at the google map years before the North Marina improvements, and yes, I thought it looked like I could park (day use) where you are talking about and walk out.  Just never tried it, and continued to fish the South end.

Now I think it will be worth a recon trip to see what the situation is for access to the North dike.  Thanks again.

Just be sure to park outside of a designated camp spot.  Or the overzealous campground manager will try to charge you for camping fees.  Otherwise, if you can find a spot near the far corner it is only a short hike across level ground to reach the dike.  Used to be a couple of domestic breed bunnies that hung out there grazing on the greenery.

More pics to help.
[Image: NE-CORNER-2.jpg]  [Image: LAUNCH-SITE.jpg] [Image: NE-CORNER-ACCESS.jpg]

Yes, I'll be careful where I park. Nice Pics. The Wiper looks like he could have towed you around for a bit! Also, I have a float tube and the growth looks inviting, if the water level gets up into them. I'm sure they will with what looks like another good water year.
OK, who is that YOUNG dude in that picture holding a nice wiper ??? Is that our beloved Tube Dude in his younger years?? Can't be, to good looking!!!
I must be living under a rock. I googled the pond at Willard Bay and it states that it opened August of 2022. No mention of fishing and mostly talked about beaches and paddle boards.
(03-01-2024, 11:22 PM)Therapist Wrote: OK, who is that YOUNG dude in that picture holding a nice wiper ???  Is that our beloved Tube Dude in his younger years??  Can't be, to good looking!!!

I'll have you know that the darker hair was only a temporary thing...lasting only a few decades.  Otherwise, I have the same white hair I had in my first fishing pictures.
[Image: FIRST-FISHING-PICTURE.png] [Image: TUBEDUDE-S-TRIO.jpg]

(03-01-2024, 11:27 PM)Crimson Wrote: I must be living under a rock.  I googled the pond at Willard Bay and it states that it opened August of 2022.  No mention of fishing and mostly talked about beaches and paddle boards.

Haven't had a "grand opening" for fishing yet.  DWR has been making small plants of small fish...of several species...to try to get a base population.  Once things stabilize there will likely be a more aggressive planting and harvest plan...with more publicity.  Will probably be all the same species in the main lake...plus maybe some trout in the winter like the community ponds.

Right now it is something to take the pressure off the beaches at Eagle Beach and Pelican Beach.  Not so's ya would notice it.  Always more recreationalists than available fun spots.