Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Anchovies
Is there any place in northern Utah that sells anchovies for bait
(03-03-2024, 03:39 AM)2knots Wrote: Is there any place in northern Utah that sells anchovies for bait

I believe Cabela’s in Farmington had some. I could be mistaken.
(03-03-2024, 03:39 AM)2knots Wrote: Is there any place in northern Utah that sells anchovies for bait

I believe I have seen them in the freezer at Sportsman in Riverdale I can run by there tomorrow and check. What are your plans for the Anchovies?
(03-03-2024, 04:20 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I believe I have seen them in the freezer at Sportsman in Riverdale I can run by there tomorrow and check. What are your plans for the Anchovies?

Practice on rigging them for trolling for salmon. They may get some time in Willard for the wipers, have had luck with them before
Powell catfish dote on them, too.
They are $5.99 for a one pound bag at Sportsman in Riverdale.
[Image: IMG-2039.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2040.jpg]
(03-03-2024, 05:22 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: They are $5.99 for a one pound bag at Sportsman in Riverdale.
[Image: IMG-2039.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2040.jpg]
Awesome, thanks
Anchovies make good bait for a variety of species.  Anybody who has fished Powell knows that the stripers like them.  But they are also readily snarfed by catfish.  And anchovies are the mainstay of the salt water sport fishing industry in California.  Over my fishing career I have also caught or witnessed a variety of freshwater species like largemouth bass, northern pike, lake trout (macks) walleyes, wipers and even rainbow trout succumbing to the seductive aroma of anchovies.

Some of the larger fish will eat a whole chovy.  But often a chunk or a mere small strip of chovy flesh will elicit a chomp.  Smaller pieces can be fished plain on a hook...or used to sweeten a jig.  My biggest surprise was catching some nice rainbows from Lake Cachuma in California on small chunks of anchovy being soaked for channel cats.  And I witnessed a decent walleye taken from Willard on chovy being fished for wipers...or cats.

Just don't try to serve me a pizza adorned with those smelly little fish.  I ain't got enough fish ancestry DNA to make them appealing on a pizza.
(03-03-2024, 08:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Anchovies make good bait for a variety of species.  Anybody who has fished Powell knows that the stripers like them.  But they are also readily snarfed by catfish.  And anchovies are the mainstay of the salt water sport fishing industry in California.  Over my fishing career I have also caught or witnessed a variety of freshwater species like largemouth bass, northern pike, lake trout (macks) walleyes, wipers and even rainbow trout succumbing to the seductive aroma of anchovies.

Some of the larger fish will eat a whole chovy.  But often a chunk or a mere small strip of chovy flesh will elicit a chomp.  Smaller pieces can be fished plain on a hook...or used to sweeten a jig.  My biggest surprise was catching some nice rainbows from Lake Cachuma in California on small chunks of anchovy being soaked for channel cats.  And I witnessed a decent walleye taken from Willard on chovy being fished for wipers...or cats.

Just don't try to serve me a pizza adorned with those smelly little fish.  I ain't got enough fish ancestry DNA to make them appealing on a pizza.

Sturgeon can be added to that list.
(03-03-2024, 08:19 PM)Kent Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 08:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Anchovies make good bait for a variety of species.  Anybody who has fished Powell knows that the stripers like them.  But they are also readily snarfed by catfish.  And anchovies are the mainstay of the salt water sport fishing industry in California.  Over my fishing career I have also caught or witnessed a variety of freshwater species like largemouth bass, northern pike, lake trout (macks) walleyes, wipers and even rainbow trout succumbing to the seductive aroma of anchovies.

Sturgeon can be added to that list.
But of course.  Sturgeon are like big catfish.  They eat anything that does not eat them first.   And they do like anchovies.

12 lashes with a big nightcrawler...but hold the pickled herring.
I'd even try pickled herring as bait - except that I'd eat most of it while waiting for a bite.
(03-05-2024, 11:49 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'd even try pickled herring as bait - except that I'd eat most of it while waiting for a bite.
That would be the case on my boat as well Rocky.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-05-2024, 11:49 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'd even try pickled herring as bait - except that I'd eat most of it while waiting for a bite.

I'm guessing you have not been fishing for Sturgeon on the Snake with Kent.  One of the bait combos sometimes employed by "dino hunters" is adding some bottled herring to their crawler ball baits.

I too like pickled herring...but hold the crawlers.
two you here ate Pickled herring I have 5 bottles in my frig and have never tasted it and can't cant get any one on my boat to eat it once they see I use it for fish bait,   I know that most of the fish in the snake river love it.  

I think all the sportsman stores have Anchovies
(03-05-2024, 04:48 PM)liketrolling Wrote: I think all the sportsman stores have Anchovies

Not the one up here in Cache Valley
I have eaten pickled herring a couple times. If I had to eat it I could, but definitely not my favorite food to eat.