Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youtube
We don't watch much TV but we do watch a handful of YouTube channels ( not just fishing but all sorts of differnt stuff)

A couple of our favorites were recommended by friends and by BFT members. 

So, I just thought I would ask here for recommendations to check out that you enjoy.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I watch a few aviation and MRE ones, but my #1 recommendation is "Tasting History" with Max Miller. Just terrific.
(03-08-2024, 04:51 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I watch a few aviation and MRE ones, but my #1 recommendation is "Tasting History" with Max Miller. Just terrific.

Just took a look at his WW11 video spotlighting s?*@ on a shingle. Buckwheat and Cookie love cooking shows. Ya we are gona love this recommendation. Thanks Rocky
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
If you go back to his earliest shows, you'll be deeply impressed by his skill at pronouncing foreign languages. He uses mentors to achieve this, and when he rolls off names and phrases in exotic Tongues, it's amazing. That's in addition to his historic research.
(03-09-2024, 04:41 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(03-08-2024, 04:51 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I watch a few aviation and MRE ones, but my #1 recommendation is "Tasting History" with Max Miller. Just terrific.

Just took a look at his WW11 video spotlighting s?*@ on a shingle. Buckwheat and Cookie love cooking shows. Ya we are gona love this recommendation. Thanks Rocky

My dad did a 20yr Navy career going thru WWII, Korea, and with a touch of the Vietnam era. He was great in making meals and when it came down to breakfast SOS was a favorite at times.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I always liked it. When I was a jet instructor, early week had an 0500 report time. I'd go to the base mess hall for breakfast and get eggs and SoS. At the time, they used ground beef instead of chipped, so the result was more like sausage gravy than the high-salt chipped beef. That maybe made it a tiny bit less deadly.

I have made it at home using store chipped beef. A serving has about two days' worth of sodium, but dang it's tasty...

[Image: 123-CTd7-Gxo.jpg]
(03-09-2024, 05:12 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I always liked it. When I was a jet instructor, early week had an 0500 report time. I'd go to the base mess hall for breakfast and get eggs and SoS. At the time, they used ground beef instead of chipped, so the result was more like sausage gravy than the high-salt chipped beef. That maybe made it a tiny bit less deadly.

I have made it at home using store chipped beef. A serving has about two days' worth of sodium, but dang it's tasty...

If memory, and taste buds, serve me right Mom use to make it with Tuna fish. I dont remember exactly how she made it so maybe not quite the same. I think she called it cream tuna on toast, though.
Now that we've drifted into tuna, I'd like to report that I have recently discovered canned wahoo, which is a white and flaky fish that's even milder than canned tuna. They have literally pallets of it at the base commissary, but you may be able to find it in civilian stores, too. Buy some.
I have enjoyed watching a lure maker that goes by "Marling Baits".

https://www.youtube.com/@marlingbaits
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(03-09-2024, 11:26 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Now that we've drifted into tuna, I'd like to report that I have recently discovered canned wahoo, which is a white and flaky fish that's even milder than canned tuna. They have literally pallets of it at the base commissary, but you may be able to find it in civilian stores, too. Buy some.

I will watch for it. 

My wife is hooked on this channel. She made me watch his whole "Food on the Titanic" series and the "Boston Molasses Tidal Wave". Now I am hunting for the ingredients to steam some Boston Brown bread.

(03-10-2024, 07:11 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I have enjoyed watching a lure maker that goes by "Marling Baits".

https://www.youtube.com/@marlingbaits

Going to eat lunch and watch him make a shark lure
(03-09-2024, 05:12 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I always liked it. When I was a jet instructor, early week had an 0500 report time. I'd go to the base mess hall for breakfast and get eggs and SoS. At the time, they used ground beef instead of chipped, so the result was more like sausage gravy than the high-salt chipped beef. That maybe made it a tiny bit less deadly.

Mother ALWAYS used chipped beef.  LOVED it!   Big Grin

The only u-tube I watch are the DIY videos that show me how to use some equipment or process.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-09-2024, 08:47 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

If memory, and taste buds, serve me right Mom use to make it with Tuna fish. I dont remember exactly how she made it so maybe not quite the same. I think she called it cream tuna on toast, though.

Growing up we started with chipped beef.  Then switched to tuna.  Now I use chicken.
I start with 4 cups milk, 4 Tablespoons butter, 4 Tablespoons corn starch.  Bring it almost to a boil to thicken.  Then add the chicken, either a couple cans or leftover shredded breast.  A can of cream of mushroom or celery soup.  And usually a can of mushroom pieces.
The first meal is over toast, the leftovers get added to macaroni or egg noodles the next night.

As for Youtube channels Fishin N Stuff (somewhat of redneck fishing tips and hacks)
Bruce the alligator man Mitchell, lots of southern cooking outdoors.  He started on Swamp People.
Smokin' & Grillin with AB
Then just a bunch of auto repair and off-roading channels
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
That Fishin N Stuff guy is hilarious.
My favorite are Townsends and Sons. They do 18th century stuff. Mostly cooking, but a lot of cultural stuff too.
I also adore B. Dylan Hollis... he does 1900 vintage "weird" recipes, with a bit of adult humor.

Growing up, my dad make "Shit on a shingle", as ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, a can of milk, salt and pepper. Probably onion salt and garlic salt, as he liked to put that in practically everything! On toast for lunch, on rice or noodles for dinner.
(03-27-2024, 02:19 AM)VividDawn9 Wrote: My favorite are Townsends and Sons. They do 18th century stuff. Mostly cooking, but a lot of cultural stuff too.
I also adore B. Dylan Hollis... he does 1900 vintage "weird" recipes, with a bit of adult humor.

Growing up, my dad make "Shit on a shingle", as ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, a can of milk, salt and pepper. Probably onion salt and garlic salt, as he liked to put that in practically everything!  On toast for lunch, on rice or noodles for dinner.

I will check them out. Tonight we found a Russian channel of a family way up north that shows the traditional living and cooking of that area. Absolutely beautiful country they live in and fascinating yet very simple lifestyle