Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fontanelle report
I debated if I should put this in the Wyoming threads but there doesn't seem to be much action in that forum and I know there are a few on this site that wander across state line to Fontanelle.

So, we wander over the border, picked up my wife's parents and later her brother ( with his family) and headed to Fontanelle last Saturday. Ice was completely off and boats were launching. We actually started hunting petrified blue wood, and then fossils ( fish mostly) with the grandkids. Had a great time doing that. 

My brother in law got there way before us and fished the early AM on the southeast shoreline. He picked up about 5. Mix of browns and bows. Mostly on crankbait style lures. Then he meet us at the blue forest to hunt the petrified wood.

In the afternoon we went back and fished coves along the east side. Picked a few up on spinner and rapalas. Then the wind picked up so we went hunting more fossils. Wind staid high so we only fished a short time in the evening but picked up a few more. I am sure if we would have went fishing in the AM before the wind we would have got a bunch more but the kids sure had fun chasing fossil.

Buckwheat was with us but fighting a raging bladder infection and the pills they had him on made him very sensitive to the sun so you don't see much of him in the video.

Video link

https://youtu.be/puYlq-BKvDg?si=QAWAEsSD3F7K29hi

[Image: 20240420-133457.jpg]

[Image: 20240420-155320.jpg]

[Image: 20240420-174253.jpg]

[Image: 20240420-130315.jpg]

[Image: 20240420-161918.jpg]

[Image: 20240420-162400.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Very nice adventure, the fish fossils are cool
Fontanelle has a big population of large kokanees. Did you see boat out in the middle trolling?
(04-26-2024, 02:26 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Fontanelle has a big population of large kokanees.  Did you see boat out in the middle trolling?

A few of them
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Another great adventure  Cool Those tumbleweeds in the Blue Forest are also know to some locals in Rock Springs area as Wyoming Christmas Tree.  Big Grin
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-26-2024, 12:35 PM)Bduck Wrote: Another great adventure  Cool Those tumbleweeds in the Blue Forest are also know to some locals in Rock Springs area as Wyoming Christmas Tree.  Big Grin

My wife, a wyoming native, would also call them her favorite flower, or at least the one that she could always grow
I thought the pic of the bow was a brown at first; that's a brown bow1
Also, the pic of the fossilized fish is rad. That makes for a successful trip in my book!
Man you're really getting out there this year, I'm a little jealous.... Fun video again, thanks for sharing it... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Great report! I've been there a couple times in the last month flyfishing the Green River, below the dam. The fish in the river are very active and awesome action for big browns, nice bows, and tons of 16" whitefish. My next trip back is to fish the lake, though.

Mike
(04-26-2024, 01:27 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Man you're really getting out there this year, I'm a little jealous.... Fun video again, thanks for sharing it... Jeff

We are having fun this spring.

(04-28-2024, 01:26 AM)gmwahl Wrote: Great report!  I've been there a couple times in the last month flyfishing the Green River, below the dam.  The fish in the river are very active and awesome action for big browns, nice bows, and tons of 16" whitefish. My next trip back is to fish the lake, though.

Mike

We talked to a few people fishing the Green while we were there. They also reported a good river bite