Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
breaking off the fly
i have been thinking about how i lost a expensive deer hair popper while float tubbing. it was a while back but i still remeber it pretty well. here is what happened: i was back trolling about 15 yards of line, mabye a little more. i was popping the fly every few seconds. after about 4 or 5 pops, the big bass came up and took it in one big leap all the way out of the water. i set the hok the only way i couls and that was to lift the rod paralell to th water with a slight angle to it. i get ready for the fight but the fish is not on and my fly had broken off right after or at the knot. any body know why this happened and how i can prevent this in the future? thank you
[signature]
First of all, it is important to know what kind of knot you usually use. There are some knots that can slip on certain types of line.

Second of all, Have you put new leaders on your flyline such as a new tippet, and leader? Some people have their equipment sitting for periods of time during the off seasons and forget to partially respool or even replace their tippets and leaders. I will even go as far as removing a couple of feet of my fly line to compensate for some of the stretching that naturally occurs after hooking on to a big one.

Thirdly, it is important to store your equipment properly inbetween fishing trips. Improper storage can lead to small knicks on the line or even the guides which can result into turning a 4lb leader into a 2 oz strength.

I hope this may guide you in some way. Please feel free to elaborate on some of the answers.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]In addition to the observations offered by T-2, I will add that when you are casting a heavier streamer or bass bug you put lots of stress on the leader. That is especially true right ahead of the knot, as the fly or popper snaps backward and forward on the false casts.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Most fly fishermen have experienced popping off flies while false casting. Many times this is a result of poor timing on the forward cast. If you apply power to the forward stroke, before the backcast has fully straightened out, you will "crack the whip". It only takes a few of these and the leader fails.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I suspect that tossing the larger deer hair bug put your timing off just enough that it messed up your timing. If you were trying to fish the hair bug on the same rod and line you use for lighter flies...and the same leaders...you are more likely to have problems like this.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
i had just put a new bass leader on, and new 4x big trout tippet, and i wasnt even casting it, i just backtrolld the line out. could it have been the amount of fly line that i had out, or could it also be a bad hook set? thanks for the help
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]If it happened to me, the first things I would suspect would be a bad knot, a nick in the leader, or poor quality leader material. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]As you also guessed, having a lot of fly line out can put additional drag on the fish. If the fish makes a sudden lunge...or jumps...that could be just enough to have the leader fail.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]It's always frustrating to lose a fly or lure in a fish. You hate to lose the fish. And flies and lures are expensive. The only good thing about it is that it makes you think carefully about what you might have done wrong and to concentrate more in the future. But, unless you bring in the CSI team to investigate the crime (stolen fly), you will probably just have to guess at what the problem was.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
i figured it out!!!!i did not lick the knot before i tightened it. that and the stress of long line and an explosive hit by a big LMB. thanks for they help, mabye next time i wont let so much line out. one more question for you, how do you set the hook if the fly is a bit away, and you are at an even level with the fish? do you set it te way as if oyu were in a stream?
[signature]
[blue][size 1]When I am casting bugs for bass, I seldom work more than thirty feet of line...casting. If I am stripping in a streamer or bug, and I get a take, I usually do not have to sweep the rod back, because I have rhe rod pointed at the fish, and I just pull back on the line with my stripping hand to start the hook set. I follow that with a couple of good stout hook sets against the rod. Bass have tough jaws and big hooks on bass bugs need some setting.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]After that, play the fish off the reel if it wants to run. Otherwise, most bass can be fought by stripping in line and using the rod to raise and lower if they make short dives. Most of the fight will be bulldogging and not long runs.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You are probably right about cinching your knot up without moistening the leader. A quick jerk to tighten a knot that is dry will cause sudden friction and heat. Heat is an enemy of nylon leader and will partially melt or weaken it. Better to either dip it in the water next to your tube or use the all American fishing lubricant...spit.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There have been several studies done about how not cinching knots carefully can decrease line strength. In some cases, a ten pound leader can be reduced to only one or two pound test if it is jerked tight on the knot...or if you did not tie the knot right in the first place.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Now we expect a success story about the next big bass you hook...and bring successfully to the tube.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
i knew i could count on you to help me figure my problemss out. thanks. hopefully will have the tube aired up and i the bass waters soon, it is 50 degrees out side, yes, spring is here finally.
[signature]