Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon boat question.
Hey guys need a little help, I am getting ready to buy a pontoon and I have been looking at the Trout unlimited Colorado, it is a 9' toon, not the best looking toon but well within the budget after looking at electic motors to attatch to it. any pro's or cons out there? [Wink]
[signature]
Pontoons are more stable and easier to attach stuff and move around. But you sit higher on the water and get blown around alot easier. An anchor solves that.

Launching. Without a doubt a typical float tube is easier. But they sell a folding wheel to help with launching and it attaches to pontoon then folds out of way[Wink]

You want to cover distance with less effort, pontoon. Also no waders are necessary with pontoon.

But getting in and out of tight places with a 7'+ pontoon is not as easy as a float tube.

So like anything it's trial and error and of course personal preferrence. My friend loves sitting in water on a hot day I on the other hand since I fish saltwater alot prefer having my feet out of water.

Espcially since I may have live bait and or live fresh floating next to me![crazy][shocked][sly]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]That's a big ugly puppy, but rated at 400 pounds, it should carry you and your gear...including a trolling motor and battery.[/size][/blue] [Image: i316684hz01.jpg] [blue][size 1]I have owned a couple of the Trout Unlimited craft...specifically Kennebec "mini-'toons." I have been impressed with the quality of the craft I have seen or used. But, it still remains your decision.[/size][/blue] [#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff] [#0000ff][size 1]As we continuously point out to folks analyzing the differences between tubes and 'toons, there are tradeoffs with either choice. You probably already know them. You are not going to be able to pack the TU craft into the Uintas, but then again you are going to be able to handle float trips and long trips across big waters better in the 'toon.[/size][/#0000ff] [#0000ff][size 1]Looks like a big sturdy frame. Ideal for hanging a motor and other accessories from.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well I have seen them in Green over black, that didnt look as bad, the Orange is pretty ugly and your right it is big, but I weigh 215 and after getting all the gear and accessories on it I might be pushing the 400 mark, so I thought I better look at the bigger ones, but thanks for the input, I want to be able to run some rivers, like the Green and maybe the Weber and provo,I will still have my tube for the Unitahs but I dont know that much about toons, so I looked at ones that were rated for moving water, plus I am a clumsy ass when it comes to being around water and I am apt to fall in so I want one that I can at least pull myself back into when I do, not if but when... [Wink]
[signature]
Mine is rated at 400lbs and is green and black. I do not use a motor. I prefer oaring. Generally I oar to the middle of somewhere and let the current and/or wind push me around.

I have two pole holder set-up to troll with while oaring. God now I gotta go fishing! Talkign about it wayyyy to much[laugh]
[signature]
so how much do these things weigh, I have heard they are quite heavy?
[signature]
Mine weighs like 65lbs I think. I heard they average between 65lbs and 80lbs depending on size. That is where this wheel comes in.

[url "https://www.oregonfishing.com/miscaccessories.asp"][Image: launchinggearsm.gif][/url]

Basically folds down to use then folds up under basket while pontoon is in use[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks is that a mail order item or can you purchase them at most sproting goods dealers? [Wink]
[signature]
Mail order. This is the link where I found one. Good luck[Wink]

[url "https://www.oregonfishing.com/ofconlinestore.asp"]https://www.oregonfishing.com/ofconlinestore.asp[/url]
[signature]
I think I saw them at Sportsman's warehouse too. Or maybe it was a dream. I don't know.
[signature]
I checked Sportsmans yesterday they didnt carry that model, I have a friend checking the Sam's club for me, I saw it on their internet site, but it weighs 85 # is that heavy by toon standards? [crazy]
[signature]
Sportmart carries water skeeter brand. I own the river runner and it works great! 7', 65lbs, weight limit 400lbs.

[url "http://www.sportmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=713621&cp=716957"]http://www.sportmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=713621&cp=716957[/url]

They also carry Trout unlimited models.
[signature]
In my last post, i was referring to the wheel rather than the pontoon itself. I didn't see that model of pontoon at sportsman's either, when I bought the smaller one in January.

If you're still looking for the pontoon, I'll check at sam's in Layton on my way home today.

I'd say 85 lbs is fairly heavy, but for the most part, you won't be carrying it, you'll be floating on it. Mine's supposed to be 46 lbs, assembled, with the anchor bracket.

The Columbia is supposed to be 69 lbs assembled, according to their website. You've got to consider that it has a metal cargo basket, motor mount, and other assorted goodies, which add weight. It looks to me like the cadillac of pontoons, and I don't think Cadillacs are very light.

I don't think I'd want to take it on a backpacking trip, but I don't think it'd be that big of a deal to launch it most places around here. You may want to go with the wheel option. I'll probably try to make one for mine later. I like camping in the uinta's and I don't think I'd want to carry it all the way down to the lake.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]That Colorado River model is made for its namesake. It should be big enough and sturdy enough to handle some heavy water. I personally think it would be like bringing a gun to a knife fisht if you got it merely for hitting small lakes. You would be buying weight and size you really don't need.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are lots of guys well over two hundred pounds that get by very nicely with a well built 7 or 8 footer, with lighter frames. If one is rated for 300 pounds, you can easily add another 50 pounds of gear without compromising the floatation factor.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sure would be nice to have one to try before you buy.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]And, on those wheeled contraptions, you can buy the wheels anywhere they sell wheelbarrow parts. A bit of work with some heavy PVC or metal tubing and you can whip out a serviceable rig to get your craft from the car to the water and back. There will never be a lot of weight on the little cart...unless you toss the marlin on it with the 'toon.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
The weight of the toon isn't as much of a problem as how the weight is distributed. They can be very awkward when carrying them by hand. Staying in position while the wind blows is not too difficult for me. I wear my fins and use them for trolling as well as staying in one place. When I want to move, I'll break out the oars.

I have a 6' toon which I got very cheep (less than $100). The seat is almost too high for my preference. However, I wouldn't trade it in. I love it on Utah Lake where I can easily move about in shallow water. In my old round tube I'd be dragging my but too much.
[signature]
I hear ya scud. I do the same thing. Bring fins for light propelling and to contend with wind when I don't want to anchor. But when I want to my it's oar time!

I am goign Sat to Ocean for first time this year on pontoon. I am really looking forward to it. Catch some live smelt then head out. Supposed to be nice too.[Wink]

Does your seat swivel? Mine turns either direction so I am actually able to stretch out. It's pretty cool[cool]
[signature]
Okay, I'm officially jealous on 2 counts. 1) you're going to go play in the ocean. My local water here is just barely getting the ice off of it. It should be all clear by sunday. 2) your seat swivles and mine does not[Sad].

Good luck and be sure to give us inlanders a report so we can live vicariously through your fishing.
[signature]
Hey Nate, You are welcome to drop by the CA board anytime. There are no time limits nor restrictions. There is no tax, license, documetation nor destination fees to view and comment on the CA board.[cool] All are welcome.
[signature]
Thanks TN2! I appreciate the invite. I'll have to stop in. Unfortunately, the extent of my fishing knowledge is largely academic. I do a lot of reading and question asking and have very limited "on the water" time. I try to drop my two bits where I feel I have experience rather than knowledge. So I'll probably be one of those that 'lurk.'

Thanks again for the hospitable response!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Careful what you offer, my son. Our good brother in the beehive state can come up with more questions than a Jeopardy...and even his answers are phrased in the form of questions.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Nate and I have had a fun ongoing repartee for quite a while now. He is too modest of his angling skills, but they mostly lie in the areas of his previous esperience. He is an accomplished fly tier and waves a mean flyrod. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Only in the last year or so has he "seen the light" of the dark side of fishing...tossing jigs, lures and even bait. I think there is some hope for him. If we ever got him in a hot school of warm water or salt water fishies we would have to surgically remove the Smile from his face.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let's treat him well and play into his new addiction. One of these days it will all come together and he will be a full-fledged gradiate...of something. He is just teetering on the brink of overwhelming success. First he has to get past the whelming part.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Here's to ya Nate.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]