Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cat_kid's first tubing experience
[size 1]Well, I finally got my little bro. out on his first tubing experience on Saturday. When I got to his house he was actually already up and ready. I didn't even have to body slam him in his bed this time to get him up. We headed out to Utah Lake where the Provo River enters. In that area the ice has retreated a few hundred yards out now, and melting fast with the warmer weather to come this week. The walleye should be moving into prespawn mode, but we came home empty handed. [/size][size 1]We had fun even though it rained on us part of the time and it was a little cold.

As everyone here knows, launching for the first time can be tricky (and comical to onlookers) if not extremely difficult. I had him step into his tube and pull it up to his waist, then I helped him get his fins on. This proved harder than it sounds. We eventually managed and he headed for the water face forwards. I stopped him in time before he caught his fins and fell on his face, and told him to walk backwards. He made it safely. I got a picture of him but not getting in just when he got into the water.[/size]

[size 1]We fished for a couple of hours, but had no takers. I had one hit in the river -- it was in the middle of the water column not on the bottom so I suspect it could be a brown trout.

We fished from about 8:30 am to 10:30am, with nothing. I don't think the eyes are up in there just quite yet. After this week of warmer temps they may be up in there.

Emuscud was there fishing off the bank it was good to meet him. We saw a light gray colored mink (I think it was a mink it looked like a ferret) that was running around on the south bank around trees and into a stick pile that looked like a beaver house maybe it was his house.

Anyway the fishing was good just not the catching. I tried some of Tubedude's roadrunner baitbugs tipped with nightcrawler, as well as some chartreuse plastic jigs. Even tried drifting a worm below a bobber down the current but no luck. The one hit I had was a a silver roadrunner/baitbug reeling it slowly downstream with the current. [/size]

It was a fun outing and we learned a few things. Thanks for all those who helped when I was deciding which tube to get him.
[signature]
Hey Catman, It's good that you were able to get out especially with the bro. It will take him some time to get used to the donut but he will become a natural in no time at all.

I had some success with the roadrunners this weekend also. Go check the CA board for the latest trip to Catalina Islands. I had a blast also with my son.

Keep up the good work and good job buddy.
[signature]
Oh yeah I forgot I tried out my rod holders on his tube and mine, but it was still in experimental stage and didn't work out too well. First of all, we didn't bring a pump and he didn't fill his tube up tight enough, plus he filled it up inside and when it got cold outside he lost a lot of pressure and his tube was so loose the rod hold would slide down around the tube and underneath. Mine I tried tying on by just hanging it from the D-rings on the outside but it leaned too far out to the side.

I didn't try to adjust I was to intent on fishing at that point. Next time I think I'll tie it on how I tied my little bro's on -- all the way around the tube and hook to a D-ring under and one over -- the standard way.
[signature]
It looks like you are getting ready for the "Eyes" to start popping out. Don't forget to put somekind of spine protection on your tube to avoid puntures. TubeDude made a couple posts on protective materials that are available just in case you haven't seen them yet.
[signature]
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've caught both white bass and walleye from my tube before, and they both are quite spiny, not to mention the TEETH! I've never used any puncture protection for them and never had a problem (lucky I guess, or just nuts). I don't plan on using anything either.

I'm too young to be that careful. I think I still think I'm invincible. Just wait till I cut a trip real short cause of a leaking tube -- that will be my downfall.[crazy]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Whassa matta. I cain't teach you guys nuttin'? You are supposed to air your tube up tight and then take a pump to top it off when the cold shrinks it. Having a tight cover is a big part of the flotation thing. If you have to fight a saggy tube, you don't get to fish right.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Also, on launching in a donut, you got the sequence wrong. Set the tube down near the water, put the fins under the tube, with the feet ready to step into. Step into the fins, sit down on the tube (if necessary) and fasten the fins on your feet. Then, stand up and back into the water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You're right. Everybody puts on a good show their first launch.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I got out on Lake Pleasant in Arizona this weekend. Eighty degrees and sunshine. However, there was rain Thursday night that poured in mud and dropped the water temp. Combined with the full moon effect it did not help the fishing. I got two nice white bass and TubeBabe got one. All about 15" and 1.5 pounds. I have a pic or two to post, but the system is still down. I will make a separate post later.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I also tried out my horizontal rod rack. It works fine, but I still prefer the vertical...especially for fishing around stickups like I was doing on Lake Plaesant.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I also took some pics to post on my modified apron for the Super Fat cat...using stretch cord top and bottom for quick attach and release.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One last thing I shot pics to post was on the naugahyde spine protection for the SFC. I got a full yard (36" X 54") of naugahyde at Wally World for only $3.77 a yard. I got 4 strips to protect the inside the front of the SFCs for both TubeBabe and myself...with a bunch left over. I am going to play around with making a full oversize apron. The ones that come with the Outcast Cats are small and wimpy. I don't use them much for line stripping, but I need a work bench for tackle tinkering once in awhile. Again, I will start a separate post with pics on that topic when we can load up pics again.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Glad everybody had a good weekend.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well said master tubedude. For what it's worth, I had my tube pumped up nice and tight. I always take it to a gas station on the way and pump it up using the air compressor -- nice and tight with cold air so it never deflated at all. I don't have a pump to add air so if mine went too low I'd just have to go home.

My little bro on the other hand didnt know how full to pump it and I made the mistake of not checking it before we left. Not to mention I didn't make sure he brought his pump since I don't bring one I didn't think of it.

[size 1][#0000ff]"Also, on launching in a donut, you got the sequence wrong. Set the tube down near the water, put the fins under the tube, with the feet ready to step into. Step into the fins, sit down on the tube (if necessary) and fasten the fins on your feet. Then, stand up and back into the water."[/#0000ff][/size]

[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
That's what I forgot -- set the fins on the gound under the tube. Oh well we managed. I actually always do the put a fin on and step big footed and all into my tube, then the other one. Since I've always done that way without mishap (I have fairly good balance) I just keep doing it. Like I said we learned a few lessons, but we had lots of fun.

As always TD thanks for the wise advise. I promise next time I'll use some of it.[cool][Tongue][sly]

Glad you were able to get out on the water. I'm looking forward to the pics, if they ever get the attachment problem fixed.
[signature]
It was good to finally put a face on the cat_man. Maybe this coming weekend . . .
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]On the pump thing, you might wanna look into a cheap bicycle pump. they are light and fit in the back pocket of the tube. For the round tubes that take a standard air hose fitting, a bike pump will help top off the tank without too much work. Also, I always carry both a regular tire pump ane a 12 volt compressor. Used to use them both on my tubes and the auto. They are often cheap at one of the chain auto parts places...or Wally World.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Doesn't really matter how you get in and out of your craft, as long as you stay unbroken and have a good time. Next, you have to find some willing fishies for you guys so your Bro will respect you as a fishing guide.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well, I think I may have to invest in a small cheap bike pump. The problem I have with many of those cheap ones is they don't have a good seal and they let out more air than they pump in half the time! lol[crazy]

I have a question about my bro.'s Creek Co. tube.

The main tube chamber's air valve is directly on top of the tube, but to access it you have to go through the zipper which is located on the inner curve of the donut. So it makes it extremely difficult to get the pump up in there and attached to pump it up. I doubt you can rotate the inner vinyl tube so that the air valve is on the inner curve, so how do I solve this one? The tighter it's pumped up, the harder it is to get the pump nozzle in and out to where the valve is, then get the cap on.

Any suggestions?
[signature]
Try orienting the valve over one of the pockets or backrest chamber You may be able to cut a small opening in the pocket, if there isn't one there already. I'd use a bic lighter to keep the cut from fraying. OR put a piece of duct tape on the inner side and outer side of the cover and then cut a small opening. I would still do this in the pocket area. That way the hole is hidden from view. Of course this is all done with the bladder as far away of flames and sharp objects as possible.

Just my two bits.
[signature]
Hey Nate that's a great idea! I actually had considered that but I was concerned about the integrity of the cover after that. Wouldn't want to ruin a brand new tube! lol

I think I'll ask him if he wants to do something like that.

Thanks.

Kevin
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I hope that craft came with instructions. The valves are usually designed to fit through premade openings. And, as has been suggested, the opening may be in a top surface pocket.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The old float tubes, that took regular inner tubes, simply allowed you to run the valve out through the gap where you started the zipper.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hope you find a solution. That having to open the zipper to air the tube is not the way it is supposed to work.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's good to know TD! I'll have to check his pockets and see if there's already a hole there for the valve to fit through. That would be nice!

I really don't remember if it came with instructions. If it were my own I think I would've done more investigating. I guess I let the kid down this time. I'll let everyone know what I find out.
[signature]
[Smile]Open tube surgery is defitnally a last resort. My pontoon valves are in the pockets[Sad]. It is a pain to store stuff around them.

Hey, I have the option to post a pic!!!! Not that I have any to post right now . . .
[signature]
Hey I can post a pic now too! Woo hooo! Thanks to whoever got this fixed.
[signature]
I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one. I was feeling rather picked on.
[signature]
We found out from the upstairs dudes that we had reached our limit on pic posting. They resolved that with unlimited posting abilities now. Time to start using the old Kodak again.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Hey there cat_man,

Nice gesture taking the young sibling out tubing. Re you problem hanging your rack on the D rings the trick is to make the connection as short as possible. My rack doesn't move a bit.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3091;]
[signature]
Hey thanks Dryrod yeah that's how I tried it on my tube -- and I did have it a lot longer than yours -- maybe 6 - 7 inches from the tube. Next time I'll try making it shorter.

It seems that it would have the tendency to fall inward towards you the way you have it set up. Does it remain at vertical or slightly hanging outward?
[signature]