Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1974 650 mercury classic
I have purchased an older boat with a 1974/ 65hp mercury . The person who had it before me bought it brand new . Over the years he has probably put 30 hrs. at the most on it . In that time he had it in the shop 3 times . First it was the alternater then the power block (? ) thats what he called it and then the trigger assy. back in 99 , $600.00 back then . He had it out one time for 2 hrs at the most after that . Now the boat is mine and I have had it out 4 times , a total of 10 hrs. Last time out ran great for 5 min. and died .I took it to the same shop he had it repaired last and they diagnosed it to be the the trigger assy. again . I was was wondering if anyone else may have experienced this problem with this year merc. .Could this be caused from just just sitting and not bieng used enough or is this this merc. just a lemon ? Any input would be apreciated .<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>KNEEBOB
my dad had one her had to replace the brain on (thats what they call it up here in michigan)<br><br>he only had to replace it one time. but he used it after that,<br><br>just a wild guess Have you checked the water pump? being this old the pump probebly needs to be changed. this can cause your moter to over heat and stall out after about 5 minutes.<br><br>the pump is a rubber star that has most likly rotted out.<br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
kneebob,<br>I used to have a ship in Port Aransas, TX. I saw this to be a common problem with the merc 650. I had asociated it with high humidity in the area. The fact that you are not in a high humidity area now has me wundering on my diagnosis. You might want to check on the possable waranty on the assy as if my memmory is correct (highly unlikely) some of the units I replaced had a 10 year warenty. This was in 90 and 91. Hope this helps.<br><br>Texas Gulf Coast Fisher.