Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAT CAT APRON
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Hey fellow Outcast Cat owners, just in case you share my dislike of the apron arrangement on your Cat Craft, here is something I have done to make it a little more tolerable.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have worked my way through many different round tubes and Uboats, before acquiring the "Rolls Royce" of tubedom...the Outcast Super Fat Cat. I have become dependent upon having a good "apron" on my craft...and not only for a stripping platform, when fly fishing. I use it a lot for tackle tinkerin' and for controlling fish after netting or grabbing them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Some floatation systems have great aprons...large, tight and efficient. The postage stamp aprons on the SFC are more of a nuisance than an aid. They have a very small surface area and they are cumbersome to hook up and get out of. In fact, the rear fastening system consists of a strip of velcro on either side, which does not stay fastened if you actually move around while casting or fishing.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In the attached pics, you will see the factory issue apron, with the straps and hooks on the front, and the velcro on the back...which runs through and self adheres through rear D-rings. Then, you will note my version of a better system.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]On my modification, I snipped the nylon tube that is stitched around the perimeter of the factory model. I removed the strap and hook arrangement first...along with the velcro strips on the back edge. Next, I inserted a piece of light plastic molding (the white strip in the one picture, for rigidity. Then, I pulled through a length of stretch cord and fastened a couple of small "carabinier" type fasteners on either end...to hook to the front D rings. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I did the same at the bottom...minus the plastic strip. This end fits over the lap and needs no rigid reinforcement. I used S hooks at the back, for quick and easy hookup and disconnect whenever launching or beaching. You can see them in the pics.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Tried out the new apron last weekend. It fishes great, but I still would like a bigger and more rigid apron. My next experiment is to fashion a lightweight and rigid "apron/platform" from a plastic lid from a large storage container. They have some for under six dollars for the container and lid at Home Depot. Just haven't got around to getting one yet. I may even just cut the bottom out of the container and utilize the upturned edges to help hold stuff in the platform. Of course, I will probably drill drain holes in the low spots to keep splashes from puddling.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My concept is that with the right design and cut, I could fashion both a working apron and a protective barrier across the front edge of my air chambers...to help ward off accidental spine punctures when fishing for stickery fishes. The big issues will be weight, size and transportability. I'm workin' on it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TubeDad, I'm sure that design will also be useable on my fish kitty as well. My apron is just a little tighter fitting than what you originally described but I can see over time that the velcro thing just wont be able to cut it.

I have velcro fasteners on all my EMT stuff and it just wears out with extensive use. Those quick clips are surely the answer on the tubes. Thanks for sharing those with us and for the ever continuing improvements on the float tube paraphanalia.[cool]
[signature]
Looks pretty good TD. My Stillwater donut actually has a fairly decent and taught apron. It's mesh but it's pretty thick and strong enough for me to put those clear plastic tackle boxes on it full of heavy jigs or spinners with no problem. Mine uses hard plastic hooks not velcro to hook to the D-rings too.

I've even put white bass and walleye on it with no mishaps. Hopefully it continues to be so.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Since most of my early craft were "donuts" i got used to having a good apron, firmly attached to the front of the craft, with the hard plastic hooks to attach to the rear D rings. That's the standard against which I have compared the aprons on all open ended craft.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I did like the apron on the Kennebec. It was attached to the stabilizer bar, and was both large and had good connections at the rear.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In the Super Fat Cat, however, the seat acts as the stabilizer bar, to keep the twin air chambers from pulling together when you sit down. So, there is no stabilizer bar to form a rod for the apron. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Probably the main reason for the small apron on the SFC is that there ain't much craft in front of the angler. The two air chamber points only extend a short distance beyond the skipper's knees. That makes it easy to get up close and personal with the fishies, but leaves no room for a decent apron or platform.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As I have discovered, there are tradeoffs in every system. I am still searching for the perfect setup. It is tedious and frustrating...but somebody has to do it. The fishing is something I must endure as well.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
you shure do know how to trick out your ride tube dude. thanks to you, i might have one of the collest tubes in wasatch[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey FB2, just don't teach that tube any bad tricks. Keep up the old traditions and catch lotsa fishies.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Are you about ready for the ice to go away and the fish to come out and play? Hey...that was a pretty good rhyme, huh?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, how is your fly tying coming along?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Say Hi to your dad for me.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
i am so ready for the ice to go away and the water to warm up. and my fly tying has been doing allright, i tyed my first successsful deer hair popper last night, took about 1/2 an hour, but it was worth it.
[signature]

Hey TubeDube,

On a recent trip to the inventor's candy store (H??E D???T), I again saw a couple of really neat connector/ attachement devices.

I'm sure you're aware of them but..... 1) Is used to grab a portion (swatch) in a circular pattern of a tarp and, with a securing clip, enable you to secure/stretch a cover. 2) Resembles an alligator clip but with a sleeve that slides to increase tension of the jaws to close them. (the clip has a release function too!)

Both of these el cheapo devices could be used to make a great product.

JapnaRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey yourself, JapanRon.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I know the store of which you speak. Lots of orange in their color scheme, to hypnotize and lure in the Tim Allen wannabees...or demented fishermen who like to fab stuff from PVC. I think I own stock in that store. They never send me the certificates or any dividend checks...but they definitely leave me broker.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sounds like interesting goodies. I will have to look for them. Always on the outlook for new ways of holding things securely...both on my tube and elsewhere.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]It was at this mesmerizing emporium that I first conceived the idea of using the lids for those big poly plastic storage containers as a rigid apron for my "apron-challenged" Super Fat Cat. I will be trying one of those out soon. Already got one, but haven't done the modifications.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, does your mother know that you hang out in such disreputable places?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]