Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXTRA PROTECTION
[cool][blue][size 1]We have had a bit of chatter about protective aprons for float tubes. As I have mentioned, I have been installing naugahyde exterior aprons on my round tubes for years. [/size][/blue]

[blue][size 1]In the attached pics, if you look carefully you will see that the red Caddis has a red naugahyde wrap around the front. The pic with the readear also has a brown "flop-over" apron. Usually these are just simple cut to shape pieces with a stitched piece of cord or stretch cord at the back end...to tie to D rings. You can also make them with clips for quick on and off. Be happy to make a diagram if anyone wants it.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you have an open ended craft...like a Uboat, Vboat or pontoon, you might consider inserting protective pieces of material under the cover, along the vulnerable front portions of your air chambers. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I just got some naugahyde...$3.77 a yard at Wally World in the sewing and craft section. I cut two pieces for each of my Fat Cats. Each piece started out as 18" wide and fifteen inches long. Then, I cut an angle off the front edge of each, and cut a slit up the middle...to better fit the taper of the front part of the air chambers. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Next, you partially deflate your craft...just enough to allow you to undo the zipper all the way around, but not enough to let the air chamber(s) get too loose. The pieces of naugahyde can now be inserted and fitted. A bit of fabric glue between the protective material and the cover will help hold the piece in place during subsequent deflations. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Next, before zipping up the cover, put enough air in the chamber(s) to make sure the protective material rides in the right places on the air chamber. Finally, zip up and air up to a medium tight inflation. Best to keep it there between trips to avoid the protection slip sliding down out of position.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, you can use pieces of inner tube, canvas, thick vinyl or any other material that will provide an extra measure of resistance to errant spines or other pointed objects. Not a bad idea to put something under your pockets too...expecially if you are prone to tossing exposed jigs and hooks in there, rather than neatly in a storage box. Hooks have a nasty way of working their way into a corner and then into your air chamber.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#804040][size 2]Hi there TubeDude,[/size][/#804040]

[#804040][size 2]Thanks for sharing some of your ideas with us. Since I too have the Super Fat Cat perhaps you should make two of everything that way I can be your PROOF tester[/size][/#804040].[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Dryrod, most generous of you to volunteer your "field testing" talents. However, I DO make two of everything...since TubeBabe also drives a Chunky Kitty. Believe me, if there is any flaw in a design, she can find it.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Have you been on the water recently?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Got any plans for some trips to the north country this summer? A lot of good fly flinging up there. Same for Washington...if you could work out a trip or two. Of course, you might not want to come back.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#804040][size 2][cool]Hi there TubeDude,[/size][/#804040]

[#804040][size 2]Oops [blush] forgot about the IRS. Irresistible Reporting Service. True to their gender you can't get away from hearing the truth. As with me I would probably go easy as to not offend your creative talent.[/size][/#804040]

[#804040][size 2]Have not been on the water for a few weeks. Seems like I keep getting honey dos from up above. Well actually between the rain, wind and 100 degree heat nature is forcing me to do other things. Plan on getting out there in the next few days. Would like to get up north to Bishop and beyond this spring.[/size][/#804040]

[#804040][size 2] [/size][/#804040]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, I couldn't help overhearing you say Bishop. That is one of my favorite paces to lose myself from the rest of the world. I have a few good places near the Owens River that we can take tubes into. There are bluegills, LMB and smallies all in the daytime. Lots of tules too. I don't know if you are familiar with the Buckman ponds or the Saunders Ponds.

I spent about 3 trips there last year and go at least 2 times a year. That would be some fun to have a flotillia up there.
[signature]
[cool]Hey there TN2, [left]When I was working I had occasion to travel quite a bit. My wife wasn't happy about being left alone but never complained. Thus when I retired I made a committment to myself that I wouldn't leave her alone overnight. Well being a city girl getting away to the Sierras to fish never did happen. Unfortunately she passed away last year so now I can go any place I want. Yes a flotilla up there would be fun. [/left]
[signature]
There is plenty of fishing to be done up there. Just let me know if you want to go after any of the species that I usually target there. I usually take up a small arsenal of ultra lights, some medium action stuff and always a fly swatter.

The ponds up there can get thick with growth sometimes but there are some that open up to some good sized areas to fish almost any technique that you can muster up.
[signature]
Hey TubeDude,
That is a MONSTER cat that you got in that one pic. How much did he weigh? Bet he towed you around the lake a few times, eh?

I have a tube, but don't get out in it that often as the old lady gets paranoid of me tippin over or something when I fish alone, so the only time I can take it out is when I'm with a buddy. I guess I could tell here where to stick it, but then I might have to sleep on the couch for a long time. Maybe after I get that life insurance policy that I've been procrastinating, she'll let me go out in the tube alone. I have one of those blue and white tubes that I think is called a fishcatII or something like that. It's made in Boise-I remember that. It's in my dad in law's garage right now. I've just got to get friendlier on the board and make more friends with fellow tubers here in Utah this summer, so I'll have more buds to go out tubin with!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey O4T, that big kitty was a 24# flathead. I have taken them up to 30 pounds from my tube, and lost a few more that I am sure were bigger. [/size][/blue]

[blue][size 1]Yeah, they do tow you around for awhile. That one was caught on 6# line, on a light outfit and jig being fished for crappies. Took about an hour to convince it that it wanted to crawl in my net.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Too bad your wife is so protective of your delicate body. If she only knew that it is almost impossible to turn a tube over, even if you try. But, better to have her care about you than to insist you buy a bigger insurance policy and then shove you out the door with your tube.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are quite a few dedicated "flotation" fishermen in Utah. I am sure that if you post a note about looking for tubing company that you will have more than a few responses.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]It DOES make good sense to always have a fishing buddy along with you...whether tubing, boating or banking. You never know when there might be a problem or emergency that requires an extra set of eyes, ears, hands or legs...etc. Not only that, it is usually more fun to share a great fishing trip with someone rather than have to just tell about it later.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Too bad you can't get your wife involved with you. My wife has been tubing with me for more than the 25 years we have been married. Don't know whether her willingness to hit the water with me made a difference in the proposal or not, but it sure didn't do anything to keep me from gettin' hitched. TubeBabe is now a very skilled fishergal and powers her Fat Cat around better than most guys. I still do all the tackle tinkerin' and the fish filleting and cooking. But she does her share of the dining and enjoying.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, there are channels bigger than that flathead in Utah Lake and Willard. I have landed a few in the 20 pound range up there from a tube. Much fun.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]