Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye tips for fishing in the spring
A couple of tips for walleye fishing in open water. The spawning run is coming up, and I thought I'd give a couple of different tips for the days when it's cold, and the fish aren't co-operating with you.

1. Jigging is great, but sometimes it is best to put on just a plain bronze aberdeen hook(I prefer a size 8 or smaller), and a small sinker( I prefer a #7 splitshot in low current, in medium current I will go with 2 of them if necessary to keep it down). I pinch the shot about 10 to 12" above the hook, and hook on a small to medium fathead minnow. Note: I don't use this rig in heavy current. In that case I switch to a river rig.

I toss this out, and hop it along, just as I would a jig. If you get no bites, slow down the presentation. If you get small taps, tie on a #14 trailer treble hook. If they are still biting shy, throw it out and leave it set. No bites, slide the sinker towards the hook. Sometimes I have had to set the sinker 4" from the hook. Never stop experimenting if you aren't doing good. If none of this works, try a different spot.[Wink]

2. I have been using wooly bugger flys, and some of the other furry versions on the same set up as #1, and have done good too. Also, try out the blood red hooks, or floating jigs too. Walleyes can be very finicky, and I've had to drop down to a blood red #16 hook at times. It seems small, but a walleye is a master at spitting the bait before you can get a good hookset in it. The bad part, when you get older, is trying to tie one of those small hooks on! Good luck...lol.[Sad]
[signature]