Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
going out in the tube for the first time this year
hey all tubers, going to take the tube out in the cold cold waters of deer creek, going to go fish the ice sheet line, and hopefully catch some large trout and mabye even some walleye. any ideas to make this a more sucessful trip? what flys should i bring along, its been a while since i have put a bend in my fly rod. got to get that done soon.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, FB2, there are probably a few folks who read these posts and wonder if we are totally nuts, orwhat. I can't question your sanity in going out while there is still some ice...because Ihave done it myself, and I have found it to be one of the best times of the year.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Anybody who fishes the ice out on most lakes will recommend fishing right along the edge of the ice. Both rainbows and browns in Deer Creek can be found cruising near the edge...both because of the imorived oxygenation of the water and looking for food. Right at daybreak I have taken some big browns at the edge of the ice...both in Deer Creek and at Starvation.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Don't bring your little dry flies. The fish want MEAT after being confined under the ice for a few months. Throw big wooly buggers and streamers. If you have any Pistol Petes (with the spinner blade on the front) they should work too.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The edge of the ice might be in 50 feet of water, but the big trout will be cruising shallow, if they are orienting to the ice. Either stay back and cast to the ice, or work your way along the edge and cast parallel to the ice line...working the fly both shallow and deeper until you find where they want it. Sometimes you will get hit right after your fly hits the water. Other times you have to count it down a few feet. Use a sink tip or full sinking line and make short strips. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]For colors, you can't beat basic black in cold water, especially if there is some color in the water. But, flashy streamers with hot colors and some flashabou or sparkles are good too.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]For walleyes, you can cast along the rocks with jigs or cast spinners, spoons or crankbaits. You should be able to find some prespawn fish wherever there is rocks or gravel going down into the water. Again, cast parallel to the shore line and retrieve at least five to ten feet deep. If they are still out a ways, you may have to vertical jig them, using jig with a piece of worm on it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You might try fishing shallower up in the east end of the lake. The perch will be moving shallow to spawn soon, and there might be some other fishies in with them. A little early yet for smallies, but MAYBE. If you fish jigs and worm for perch, you are also likely to hit a couple of trout. In fact, slow trolling a bugger or other big fly in the shallower water could hook you up with anything this time of year.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Dress warm, stay dry and pay attention to the weather. If the wind starts blowing even a little bit, get off the water. Once the ice starts breaking up, even a light breeze can move the ice sheets around on the surface. You do not want to risk being pushed to the bank and crushed by a big piece of ice. It can happen and almost happened to me on Starvation one time. That was enough for me.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Have fun and let us know how you do.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey George, howya doin'? I am responding about 3:40 AM AST (Arizona Standard Time). After finding a couple of fish last week, under adverse conditions, TubeBabe insisted we give it another try onPleasant this week. Will be hitting the water about daybreak to see if we can beat the boat traffic to some fish. Of course, a report will follow later.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I don't know what the water temps are at Saguaro. Haven't fished it since Christmas. I am guessing it will be close to Pleasant. After the cold rain and hail last week, Pleasant was only 55 degrees. But, after the higher temps this week, I am predicting close to 60. Carp will take baits just about all year, but they are definitely more active after about 60 to 65.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The best time to go fishing is anytime you can get away. AND...I do still owe you a trip in a Super Fat Cat. I am predicting it will be about a month before it really turns on at Saguaro. Once the fish move in, I will get you out there and put a big Smile on your face. Probably have a tough time getting you off the water and back home.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Have a nice weekend. Let me know if you get out. And, while you're at it, why not register and log in. We won't bite ya. Hopefully more fishies will though.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
got it out for the day. came back with nothing more than numb feet and a cherry red sunburn on my face. still it was nice to get the tube out, and to get the legs workin again. got to get it all rigged up for the summer still, got to go out and buy a fish basket to put all my fish in still. road came out with one nice rainbow trout. he cauht it on your pony head jig. ill let him write a post about he day.
[signature]