Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEAR LAKE RPT. Friday 3/12/04
Bear Lake remains totally ice covered and the ice is approximately 15" thick. The nighttime temperatures have been in the teens and it is keeping the ice frozen. However, during the day the temperatures have been in the 40's and about 3-5" of slush has been forming on top of the ice. We still have approximately 12-18" of snow around the shoreline. There have been snowmobiles and 4-wheelers on the ice, but you need to use caution since there are some spring holes and the machines can get bogged down and stuck in the slush.

Ice fishing has actually improved this past week for both cutthroat trout and lake trout. Best luck is coming off of three spots. Cisco Beach, the pumphouse on the southeast shore, and off the Utah State Park marina. Tube jigs tipped with cisco are working the best. Best luck is coming in anywhere from 30-60 feet of water. Keep trying different depths until you find active fish.

There have been no reports on the whitefish fishing, however, a couple of good spots to try are off the rockpile and the weed beds south of Gus Rich Point. Use small ice flies or tiny jigs tipped with waxworms or salmon eggs.
[signature]
Help. I am new to this board and to fishing Bear Lake. Last week I was up there. 1 Mack on the ice, 4 pound 23" Lost one as big. Is the rockpile or off the marina better? I am taking my boys and want them to have fun. Catching is a bonus !!!!
Nice name!

Bear lake is a hit or miss body of water. I have learned that if you are willing to move around and do some time then you will eventually get into trophy size fish. The common spots to ice fish have seen heavy pressure so one is wise to venture into new areas. Just an opinion, the hot spots are stilll producing fish!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am going to try it tomorrow - probably somewhere on the east side. I will let everyone know how I did. I am so happy to still have good ice up there at this time of the year.
[signature]
Good luck hope you have a good day. I wish the lake would hurry and thaw out my boat is getting mighty lonely. From some of the post I've seen I hope it hurrys because there won't be any fish left[Sad] Just kidding have fun.
[signature]