Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
baitcaster parts
I have a FLW Tour baitcaster, the ones that Wal-mart makes. Ok heres the problem: I was fishing the other day and I casted with it and the handle fell right off of it...GRR!!! Well I was standing on some rocks, I found the handle but the nut and the nut cap I couldn't find. I just got done searching the Wal-mart site and I couldn't find the reel at all. I talked to a guy at Wal-mart and wasn't much help really. Has anybody seen any of these baitcasters or are they extinct?? If you know where I can get the parts for it let me know. Thanks for the help.

outlaw
[signature]
IT'S MORE THAN LIKELY AN ACORN NUT YOU CAN GO TO YOUR LOCAL HARDWARE STORE AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THEM.
[signature]
do you have a pic i will see if i have one or can great you to the right place
[signature]
I dont have a pic as of now. I'll try to get one on here tomorrow sometime.

Outlaw
[signature]
You will also need to know the pitch and size of the threads. Many of the reels may also have a left handed thread as well. For best results, take the reel into the hardware store with you so that you can properly match the threads. In the long run it will save you a few trips.

Once that you have found exactly what you are looking for, it would be helpful to put some service removeable threadlock solution. Loctite brand makes one just for that. It's label has a number "442" for service removeable thread lock.
[signature]
[cool][#804040][size 2]I have an old spinning reel that was missing a crank screw. Went on-line and located the [not popular] manufacturer. Downloaded the PFD manual and found the part #. Needless to say I was able to order a new screw from them only 50 cents. Its worth a try.[/size][/#804040]

[#804040][size 2][/size][/#804040]
[signature]
be sure to pull up the modle name and number this will also aid with some one who might have a spare reel hanging around for parts.
[signature]
Ahhh, one of the FLW pieces of garbage. I bought a spinning reel and rod combo last year. FLW. Looked nice, cost $50, so I figured it might be worth a try. Took it out on the Wolf River by New London, Wi. for it's trial run. Was drifting with my cousin & my son. Cast out about 6 times. Everything seemed o.k. Caught a few small smallmouths. Still lookin good. Then, all of a sudden like, it starts to wind up, but gets a big loop wound up in the spool. A little agravating, but still cool. This starts to happen frequently after a bit, causing short, snappy casts. Now I'm getting ticked. Finally, the bail starts acting up. Cousin is laughing histerically as I sound like a kid who is trying to beat up a bully. The last straw was when the spool just happened to cast right off of the reel. Managed to get the spool back after pulling all line off. Took it back to Walmart, minus the hardware for the front drag. Told them that I would not be buying another one of those in this lifetime.[mad]
[signature]
from my experienc whith bait casters is that short snappy cast cause birds nest in every bait caster I have.

it is the snap that casses the barrol to spin faster than the line can come out causing the line to unravel inside the reel.

I have to admit for casting prepous that the bait caster is one of the hardes to get used to. especialy after you spent 10-20 years snappin spin casters.

line twist can develope faster than folks realize especialy with brands of line not developed for bait casters. it is always important to use a barrol swivle if not a swivel snap to reduce the line twist.

I am not saying that this is your case. true there are models out there with poor quality setting dials. What I am saying is that the settings are so delicate that and the time of day can have a lot to do with over spinn of the spool, tempreture changes from the cool of early morning to mid summers heat effects metals and lubricants that one must keep a constant watch on what they are doing to prevent bird nest.

Thumbing the spool is a good way to gain controll over the spool. I spend time in the yard with a pratice plug in the yard.

the bait caster I am using right now is a Batnam 200Z made by Shimano. I picked up used. when I got it I could not set it properly no matter how is set it. So I spent a couple hours tearing it compleatly apart and cleaning every single part. including the housing the spool spins in. now I get the settings working properly I can controll the barrol spin.

Still I can not snap it the way I can a spin cast with out making a knot. I am using a stiff rod and 4 pound test line. This may of cource be my problem. I should probably be using an 8 pound test and a lighter rod, I do beleive tho that just changing it to a 12 pound line it may be more suited for the reel and may prove to be an excilent trolling rod for the inner lakes for walleye and pike.

I am having problems with control with this setup.. with the spin cast I can drop my line on a dime, but with the bait cast the braud side of a barn is safe from me....
[signature]
That sorta sounds exactly like my situation with baitcasters, Dave. Only I didn't clean mine just kinda torn into it and put it back together again, curiousity..[Wink]!!

I went to Lowes and Menards they didn't have the nuts to fit it correctly. A guy at Lowes told me to try Northgate. I went there and they also didnt have it but the guy there was able to tell me the thread count on the darn thing. He said it was a 32 thread!! The nut is a 5/16 inch. He told me to try a gun shop, so I'm gonna try that tomorrow morning. If I come up empty handed there, I'll try one more place then that darn things going into the "spare parts" bin!!!!

Many thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Outlaw
[signature]
chances are good I may have one, I have about 30 different modles. I just need to know what modle it is.

Is it a cap nut?

I know what a 5-16-20 nut is, I just need to know if it is a cap or just a regular. I was a macheinest for more years than I want to count. Is or was there a lock key that goes over it? or a set screw that locks it in place or a lock washer that goes under it?...
[signature]
Dave, I think it is a regular nut, not really sure.

I took some pics of it. You can go here to view them.....[url "http://www.geocities.com/d_fields2/BC.html"]http://www.geocities.com/d_fields2/BC.html[/url]

You can save the pics to make them larger....I had to make them small to put them on the webpage.

Outlaw
[signature]
i've got an old baitcasting reel with the gears stripped out. if you give me an address i'll send you the nut and cap. the nut should fit don't know if the cap will
[signature]
Thanks alot for all your help everyone!!! I got the nut I needed at a hardware/sports store over the weekend!! I couldn't get a cap but I rigged it up with electrical tape instead, looks good...[cool][cool]!!!!

Thanks,
Outlaw
[signature]
I'm glad that we could be of service to you. That's why we are here.
[signature]
sorry for taking so long to get back with you on this, took a little time to dig thrrough the pile.

If you want I have a crank nut and cap that will fit your reel.

send me a pm with you address and I will mail it off to you.

Question, did you loose the spring washer under the crank when you lost the nut? the washer is made of spring steel and is waffer thin, you may not have even noticed it missing if the crank fell off. If you are missing that I have that as well.
[signature]