Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with poll and line....
Hey Anglers...well I was just fishing for a bit with my poll becuase I have been using my borthers and I had like 10 lb line on it and now I ran out so I went and got 12 Lb " Stern Hi vis Gree" fishing line and I put what I mostly need on it and when I go to cast the line un raveles??? any suggestions?

-Thx

[pike]
[signature]
You probably have too much line on. If it springs off the reel and unravels and tangles, it could be that you simply need to cut some off. When it's all spooled up it should be about 1/8 inch from the outer lip of the spool. Any closer and you could run into problems, especially with that thicker, stiffer 12 lb. test line on it.
[signature]
Theres already heardly any on it really....but I dunno...maybe there is too much ill see
-Thx

[pike]
YOU MAY HAVE SPOOLED IT ON BACKWARDS. YEAH IT SOUNDS DUMB BUT IF YOU DON'T PUT IT ON THE REEL THE SAME WAY IT IS ON THE SPOOL YOU CAN HAVE SOME PROBLEMS.
[signature]
No didnt do that becuase I unraveled it and pu it back on then put it the other way after that and it still happens
[signature]
[unsure] Yes it's true , not all tackle shops sell all there line from year to year ,and if you ended up with one thats been on a shelf for a couple of years , it will keep its memory . Also , it might have been on a spool for a year or so before the tackle shop recieved it !! Try letting the line out while your boat is moving , without nothing on the end , sometimes that will straighten it out better , its worth a try !!!

[signature]
This topic came up earlier on another board. There was some mention about memory of lines and how to reduce it. Take into consideration all of the aforementioned items and add to them with this one. Someone had mentioned soaking your line in fabric softner. I have not personally tried it yet but that did come from a very reliable source here on the site.
[signature]
I used to wind my line on by just letting the line spool lay on the floor as I wound it on the reel. I started having a few problemms with coiling. After that, I found that if I have someone stick a pencil through the center of the line spool, and put slight pressure on it as I wind it on, it works out better. Tip: if they apply too much pressure, they might burn their fingers..lol.
[signature]
They do have some one man line spooling devices at Wallys World, back in the fishing section. The do come in handy and help to ensure proper spooling. They only cost about 6 bucks and change.
[signature]
I just read in BASSMaster I think it was that if you put on line that is too heavy for your reel, you may have problems like you mentioned, having it spring off the spool.

For example, if you have a reel designed for 4,6, or 8 lb. test and you put 12 lb. on it it might have that problem. Just a thought.
[signature]
Think of it like wearing pants that are 8 sizes too big and not haveing a belt to hold them up. Put about 2lbs of fishing weights in the pockets and see if they stay around your waist.[cool]
[signature]