Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haymeadow Report - March 18, 2004
Me and Powermaker hit Haymeadow Reservoir about 10:30 am for some fun, neither of us had ever fished it before . . we were in Powermaker's 9 foot mini-bass boat and armed with 2 rods and a paddle a piece

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

we paddled with little effort for about 10 minutes until powermaker's wrist watch fish finder (very cool) said we had hit 10 feet or so, thats about the max we had heard . . i started rigging up with a bubble and wooly bugger, and powermaker was ahead of me with a vibrax blue fox perch color . . bam he had a fish in seconds! [center][Image: h1.jpg][/center]

then another . . [center][Image: h2.jpg][/center] [left]and another . .[/left] [center][Image: h3.jpg][/center] [left]keep 'em coming powermaker - i quickly quit the bugger and tried to match his vibrax, but didnt have one, and i tried about 10 diff panther martins and meeps, rooster tails, roadrunners trying . .finally got a couple on a rainbow trout mepps . . and another 'quick release' at the boat with a panther . . . oh yah got one on powerbait too . .powermaker caught well over 10 ![/left] [left]more fish =>[/left] [center][Image: h4.jpg][/center] [center][Image: h5.jpg][/center] [left]i missed a monster hit on a olive wooly bugger, and we both missed a bunch on the inline spinners[/left] [center][Image: h6.jpg][/center] [center]powermaker had the hot hand today ! ! ! ! ![/center] [center][Image: h7.jpg][/center] [center][Image: h8.jpg][/center] [center][/center] [left]HEY WE GOT VIDEO TOO ! ! ! [/left] [left][url "http://getyourwebsite.biz/hay.ram"]http://getyourwebsite.biz/hay.ram[/url] - DSL & Cable[/left] [left][url "http://getyourwebsite.biz/h1.rm"]http://getyourwebsite.biz/h1.rm[/url] - Modems - Part 1[/left] [left][url "http://getyourwebsite.biz/h2.rm"]http://getyourwebsite.biz/h2.rm[/url] - Modems - Part 2[/left] [left] [/left] [left]there were a handfull of boats and shore anglers, and all the boats were gone by 1, shore anglers were gone by 2 - had the lake to ourselves after that - little pressure today! Beautiful 72 degrees with a nice breeze, nuthin we couldn't paddle against! A Great Day ! ! ! ! ![/left] [left][/left] [left]sm[/left]
[signature]
Fun stuff!!

The Sunnyside area is not my favorite place to fish, but this time of year it is. The ticket is getting off the shore.

Radio shack has a portable fish finder for $49.00 that works decent. My friend has one and it works great at finding depth. Surprisingly it's pretty accurate with the fish alarm as well.

If you want to try something different, get some chironomid/gnat larvae patterns in a size 16. Make sure they're weighted with a bead or lead wire. Tie them on your spin rig and place a small bobber so that the fly is about 2ft from the bottom. If you have to use a split shot to get the fly down, but I find a weighted fly works better. From there it's just bait fishing, whether you use a fly rod or conventional gear. That bobber...errr strike indicator moves set the hook, but do so lightly. Works on every lake I've ever fished, especially after ice off.

Southernman, I really like the photo stories you tell. I have a nice digital camera, but I usually don't carry it. I fish alone alot and mostly catch and release so I don't use it, but this weekend I could've taken some nice photos. I'm going to have to remember to bring it along.

I'm glad you had a good trip at Haymeadow. I would fish that lake a lot more, but in less than a month it'll be choked with weeds. In the summer I don't even bother with it. Soon as Comins and southern Utah opens I won't be fishing it. Last year it iced off in January for a couple of weeks at a warm spell and a couple of buddies and I fished it 3 times in that period. All were really good trips. Cold, but good. We had to break perimeter ice to get our float tubes out each time.

I was thinking of hitting Haymeadow once more this year, but that could easily turn into a Lee's Ferry Trip if I get my buddy to go. I don't get to fish as often as I used to. I'll probably get out 2 - 3 times a month for trips... a bit more locally. Being a new dad has really cut into my fishing time, but in a few years... he goes with me Smile.

Thanks for posting the information. I'll try to post my trips as well. In less than a month Comins will open up. Hopefully this year will be good there, but it's gonna rapidly decline. A few large pike were caught ice fishing, so that bodes poorly for the trout/largemouth fisherey. It may already be too late. As the trout decline it'll offer some trophy pike fishing, but unfortunately that won't last. With the forage base gone, the pike will stunt. The lake is too small to support a pike fishery and everyone will lose.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]
Nice report southernman. Looks like you guys did good with all those 12" planter bows. Fishing buggers you really should have a fly pole or adjust your leader for the depth your fishing at. Using a bubble works best with dry flies but nothing was probable hatching this time of year.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Hey Southernman just a note for you, I have to put my motor on the next time we head up there. We need to do a lot of looking. That air bladder that we saw at the dock was huge compared to any of the four I brought home. So, that tells me there's may be some good sized ones in there somewhere. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Take care, [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
2 or 3 of powermaker's fish were a tasty 16 inches . . . i had the bubble set to slowly drop about a foot a second . . plus all of the fish we were catching were in the 1-4 foot water column . . we talked about using jigs or a beadhead type nymph or streamer to get down deeper, but man theres alot of greenery there . .if you let your inline spinner go down a second too long, it picked up long grass and moss, every cast we were slapping the lure or pulling off funk . . same with the buggers, prince nymph and midge larvae flies i tried . . .

sm
[signature]
Well thats what a good fly pole is for. Depending on the fly line you can work the same water depth every cast. Finding fish what they'll bite is the hard part.

I'll be making a trip to sunny side this summer but I'll be after bass.
[signature]
Hey guys those pics were great, what kind of camcorder do you use for the video clips?
[signature]
Those video clips are from a digital camera.
[signature]
its an inexpensive olympus digital camera, i believe all digital cameras have this capability now . .some have like 2-3 minutes with sound for each clip, then you can string them together with a little easy programming . .

sm
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Yeah with a little programming you too could film the fierce rod action as someone put in a 16"er and loop it with a little 9"er at the end. LOL..... [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
how'd ya like that video ?!

i gotta send you all the pics zipped up

sm
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] I wish you would have told me I was on camera, I would have done my make-up and hair. Sure, send me what pictures you got. [/font] [/size][/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]

[/font][/size]
[signature]