Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Rack Lite
[blue][size 1][cool]Anyone who has dropped in on this board knows that I am always dreamin' and schemin' about different rod rack designs. Here is the latest.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]First, I have been working to cut down the weight on my rod racks. Most of my eariier models use a couple of pieces of wood, for cross braces, and the heavy schedule 40 PVC. I have also been making a four tube design, that allows me to carry five rods on each trip...one operational and four in reserve.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The first thing I did was reduce the tubes to three. I almost never use ALL five rods. The next thing I did was pick up some 1" schedule 20 PVC, which is about half the weight of schedule 40. Unfurtunately, it does not come in the 1 1/4" size I prefer, to accomodate my larger handled rods. So, I will use it for my light spinning and light baitcast rigs only. But, using the same design, you can make one out of schedule 40 PVC and still save SOME weight.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I designed this rack to fit my Super Fat Cat. The side D rings are 12 inches apart, so I made the two outside tubes exactly 12 inches apart on center. That allowed me to insert them down into the fitted nylon rope loops to hold them in position at the top. Easy in and out. As you can see in one of the pics, I secure the bottom (from flopping) with a bunbee cord tied to two bottom D rings and then looped up over a S ring attached to the bottom of the middle tube.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The progressive pics show the precut tubes...14" in length...and the 1"X2" hardwood (pine is okay) for the cross support. It also shows the 1" pipe hanger straps used to secure the tubes to the wood.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I burned the wood with a torch and then applied 3 coats of urethane finish to seal it. The notches for the reel handles were fast work with a Dremel and a rotating drum sander.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Before screwing down the prepared tubes, I made a single wrap of 1/2 width duct tape, to increase fit and friction and to keep the tubes from rotating or slipping up or down. Epoxy would work also. I left about six inches above the wood, to help keep the reels high up off the water. That is helpful where you are getting splashes...especially in salt water. The remaining tube, below the wood, serves as stability against slippage and rotation. If the loops are properly adjusted, the rods will ride straight up, or at a slight outward angle. Too tight and they will angle in toward the angler and make for tangles...or broken rods on vigorous hooksets.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once the basic frame and tube components are put together, the rack can be installed on float tubes, pontoons, boats or snowmobiles. Screw them down or use some kind of clamp arrangement.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My previous rack weighed just over 3 pounds. This one weighed just a couple of ounces over a pound. As I mentioned, the same principle will work for any size tubing, of any material, as long as you can find the right sized galvanized pipe hanging straps. That has been the key to making this work. Before that, I needed to drill holes in the tubing and screw it into the wood frame.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink]thanks for the ideas, and the how to on getting it done, I think I may utilize this rack for my toon, that is when I get it.. [cool]
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

Looks like the masters fevered brain is again being fired by that boundless imagination. Always good stuff cause I know it has been built on vast experience and field tested by someone who invented the term.

Nice pics too.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Thanks, JR. Sometimes I think my experience is only half vast.[/size][/blue]
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

[green][font "ransom"]LOL[/font][/green]

Do you whip those one-liners on TubeBabe too!?[laugh][laugh][laugh] I'll bet you do!

I went to HOMEDEPOTland to check out this 'LITE' concept. Only spent 1.5 hours and bought exactly $5.01 (sales tax was 38 cents) in stuff (four items). heh heh heh

I found some cool stuff:

1) In the pool section- I found these nylon/plastic thingys that you put in 2 two sliding tubes, one in the other, (with holes) that can then be expanded and locked in place.

2) In the lighting section- Floursecent tube plastic guards that could be used as rocket launcher tubes w/ black end reinforcements. (Clear, strong, and LITE)

3) In the plumbing section- Plastic, thin-walled inter-connecting tubes used for bathroom sinks (maker:watts).

4) Electrical section- Liquid friction tape. I'm gonna use this for my on-tube nav lights and certian other parts I want waterproofed.

Let's think lite and light. Inventors rule!

JapanRon
[signature]
[Tongue][#804040][size 2]Hey JR,[/size][/#804040]

[#804040][size 2]I bet the folks at Home Depot can't wait for you to come back again![/size][/#804040][crazy]
[signature]

Hey Dryrod,

At least they didn't (I didn't notice anyway) have any store detectives follow me around like I think TubeDube told me they did him on one occasion![laugh][laugh][laugh]

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I haven't perfected my Tim Allen grunts yet. When I get in a "big boys' store" I start giggling. That will have them put a watch on you every time.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I tell everybody I own stock in Home Depot. They just do not send me my stock certificates or dividend checks.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sounds like some nifty new discoveries, JapanRon. I will have to do a more thorough snooping job at my local Depotoriums.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those designs are getting better and bett as time goes on. I also have them follow me at Home Depot from time to time. They know that I'm up to something but not as a builder. Maybe they'll back off when I show them my tube.
[signature]
[Tongue][#804040][size 2]Show them your what??[/size][/#804040]
[signature]

Hi there Dryrod,

What!... another guy with the one-liners?! great! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Looks really good TubeDude. Nice to see you still tinkering away.

If I had access to a decent setup/shop I would "machine" the pipe by drilling multiple holes to reduce the weight as well. I remember you doing this on one of your projects, so I'm sure it would work with this one. I'm sure you could reduce the weight of the PVC by about 1/2 and still be plenty sturdy to hold your rods.

Once again, thanks for the pics. Cool setup.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, BeeMan, thanks for droppin' in. Actually, by using the schedule 20 PVC, I have already knocked the heck out of the weight. But, a few holes, and cutting off the outer half of the lower shaft would still reduce the weight further. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Heck, if I keep messin' around, I will have one so light it will need to be kept tied down to keep it from floating off up into the air. Maybe some helium filled outriggers? Or even fill the main air chambers with helium? Hot air won't do it. I know. I am already full of that.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]