Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>4/14/04<br><br>Lots of kings and Spanish are just off the beach and the fishing is good! I told you pretty much the same thing last week, so I won’t go through it again. It looks like the weather is going to cooperate for the next few days so my plans will be to try and get live bait and fish for the big kings close to the beach from Egmont to Redington Long Pier.<br><br>One thing you need to pay attention to is what the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council is trying to do to our grouper fishery. See all the information at: http://www.flfish.com/conservation/grprc...041402.htm <br><br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – Snook have really shown up in our area. Trout are being caught in sizes over 20 inches just about everywhere. Lots of Spanish mackerels are in the Bay now and being caught on artificials and live bait. Sheepshead are still being caught in the 3-4 pound range off the artificial reefs. Greenbacks are still a little scarce, but some are starting to show up.<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Some cobia have been showing up this week along the causeway and biting live shrimp. Trout and reds are biting live shrimp around the bridges. Snook are at the floodgates and biting well on shrimp, bombers, or Yo-Zuri’s, in just about any color.<br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- Snook are coming in from the ICW daily now. Lots of Spanish are being caught near the Sand Key Bridge and big trout are coming in from just about everywhere this week. We can’t seem to keep the “Red Tailed Hawk” in stock, so that would have to be our hot bait of the week.<br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Some really nice snook have been coming in this week from somewhere close to the shop. Sheepshead have slowed down but the Spanish mackerel have really picked up. Some cobia, trout, reds, and tarpon are being hooked and some are even being caught.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Some nice flounder and pompano are coming off the pier this week. Kings are being caught off the front of the pier. Spanish mackerel are just thick around the pier right now. Speckled trout are being caught both day and night. Some tarpon are being hooked now and we saw our first hammerhead of the season this week.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Lots and lots of Spanish mackerel, kings, a sailfish and some grouper have been brought by this week. Lots of flounder are being caught off the jetty on the incoming tide by anglers using small white baits. Trout and reds are being caught off the seawall on the grass. Mangrove snapper are starting to show up as well.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- A 58 pound sailfish was caught on one of our offshore boats this week. Some kings and lots of Spanish mackerel have been caught. A keeper grouper was caught off our gas dock this weekend.<br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- A big nurse shark was caught today. Spanish mackerel, bluefish, and some kings have been caught this week. The fishing has been very good and it looks like it will get even better as more bait moves in.<br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com