Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sturgeon rigs
[font "Times New Roman"][#400040]There are two basic sturgeon rigs - boat and bank, and numerous variations often depending on local regulations. [/#400040][/font] [center][Image: 11_08.jpg][/center]

[font "Times New Roman"][#400040]The basic boat rigging is a slip (sliding) sinker on the main line, a large swivel, and about two feet of leader. Some anglers use leader lengths up to six feet, but I don't know why a longer leader would be better. Some prefer two hooks where they are legal. [/#400040][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#400040]Bank rigging is generally one of two styles: [/#400040][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#400040]1) the main line runs to a three-way swivel, the leader extends straight off of the swivel, and a short (lighter test) dropper line to the weight off of the swivels other eye.[/#400040][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#400040]2) the same as a boat rig, except that the leader and hook is on the slider, with a lighter test line running off the swivel to the weight.[/#400040][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#400040]Both of these setups allows a snagged weight to be broken off without loosing the whole rig.Popular sturgeon baits in no particular order: [#ff0080]shad, smelt, anchovies, herring, sardines, sand shrimp, mud shrimp, ghost shrimp, grass shrimp, eel, squid, salmon roe and nightcrawlers. Many of these baits also come processed or pickled. [/#ff0080][/#400040][/font]
[signature]

Hi there Daymere,

Nice.... easy to understand instructions and pic. I caught sturgeon in Japan but they don't grow to the sizes they do up in Washington, Utah, and Idaho river systems. The California delta system has some gaints too.

Some Chinese sturgeon are truly monsters they claim weigh 3000 pounds and 30 feet long. I read that a pioneer in the 1870's caught what is thought to be the biggest sturgeon in the US and weighed 1800 pounds as was 20 feet long. The Canadian record is 1800 pounds.

Let us know if you catch one of those guys! I'll visit you in the hospital! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
have caught many in mississppi river and some around 35 pounds but far very many at one time.
[signature]
I probably get into about 10 sturgeon a year. I don't get to keep them, as there is no season where I fish. Have had some monsters on. Catch alot of 4 or 5 footers. They put up an excellent fight on 8 pound test. I'm not fishing for them. They just happen to bite when I'm fishing walleyes. If you are in a hot walleye hole, a sturgeon can be quite a nuisance..lol.
[signature]
but they sure put on a great show when they are hooked . its always good to catch them as they are very good fighters and fly high when hooked.
[signature]
I'd love to hook into one. They are now allowing one sturgeon in the waters here in Minnesota. You've gotta write down when and where you caught it on your license. Doesn't make much sense to me. But I'd love to actually get a huge one, get a pic of it, and enter it into the open-water fishing contest we've got on here.
[signature]
man that would be great to see one on here. good luck hope you catch it.
[signature]
nice pic of the set up . the reason for long leader lines is that stergon will roll over a few times to break free . their gill plates are bony and sharp . with that much force behind their bodys during a roll , the plates easily cut thru the line .

saw a pic of a stergon out west somewhere , the thing died of natural causes in a lake . 2,800 lbs . it was about the size of a small bus.
[signature]