Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling reels ???
After reading the post about fishing with steel line ,a lot of different reels have been mentioned.It got me to wondering what everyone else uses for trolling reels.All of my trolling reels are cabela depthmaster level winds with line counters.After getting used to a linecounter reel i dont think i would be without one now.

Was just wondering?
[signature]
I use a Penn 309 level wind for Wipers.
[signature]
I use a penn 49L. I have never used anything else for trolling steel. It took me a bit to get the drag set right for bottom cleaning at FG. It seems to be a great reel for trolling though. Holds up really good whith the steel. I have never had no problems with this reel in the 12 years I have used it. I would recomend this reel to anyone looking for a good steel reel.
[signature]
I use a shimano trd 250 level wind both my 9 foot ugly sticks have this real. One is 18 years old and still going.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I ended up ordering a 49L Super Mariner for my steel wire outfit. That's what they were designed for. Now, where's a good place to buy the trolling cable? Are there any local places or am I going to have to order it on-line or mail order?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]For downrigging, I use Okuma 20dx linecounters. I use the AmbsSadeurs for wipers on Willard and other top water applications, and run Diawa Levelwind Sealines 40's for leadcore line. [/size][/font]
[signature]
I use a Penn 411 ocean reel, kinda big, but it holds tons of line and is really strong.
[signature]
Daiwa Sealine SG27LC

I bought a Cabela's depthmaster years ago and got rid of it fast--the drag was terrible. The Daiwas are used by the pros, most guides, and it's what Romanack used for the Precision Trolling book. It's a great reel.
I have the pen reel with the steel line loaded, and a rod with titanium guides and a roller tip, I paid well over $300 for the whole set up, but in the 3 years that I have owned it I havent used it once, I bought it with the intention of going to the Gorge for macks, but never got the time, I used down riggers with the F7 flatfish and caught a few but heard that steel is the only way to go. wondering now since I have not used it if I should sell it or get it out and try the darned thing??[shocked]
[signature]