Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead
i was going to ask if anyone knew when the crappie come in shallow in the overton arm area on lake mead. i heard that it can be great fishing for big crappie sometimes. i also heard the stripers will follow soon after into the shallow on the norht side in overton. is any of this true. and im coming down from Utah so i was hoping to get some info based on a good time to come down and fish from a pontoon boat for crappie. any info on the crappie movements would be great. and striper info as well when and if they move into the shallows up there. thanks much in advance.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] The only thing I've heard is some Crappie have been picked up around Overton Beach, not big in numbers but pretty good in size.[/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
do you have any idea if and when the crappie or stripers move back in there?
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Here pretty soon the water temps should put them into spawn mode. But, with the recent heat wave and not sure how long the heat will last. The spawn could be a lot earlier this year. I couldn't find much info on Crappie except the bite dies off when their spawning. The bigger Striper spawn first, low to mid 60's, I think. Know that I've danced around that question. I haven't clue as to a definite time frame. It sure took me a long time write nothing at all. Hope you get something from this. Maybe someone else here would have more information about the Overton area. [/font] [/size]

[signature]
either way i appreciate the reply. i know with warm water species especially at mead timing is everything so im just trying to figure out the best time to hit an area like overton. thanks again
[signature]
Hey Xman...well, I do know that the largemouths are up shallow now. I just went today and stuck a few good ones. It's good and hot here. If the bass are up, I see no reason for the crappie not to be either...
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] SturgenKid, do tell, we like details. Did you go up to the Overton Arm? [/font] [/size]

[signature]
Well, I've been goin' over and just drivin' around some different areas at Mead kind of trying to scout out some potential spots lately, and I've just been taking one rod with just a couple of lures to toss around just for the heck of it. Each time I've found a slightly better spot, but I found a pretty good hole today. Saw maybe 5 or 6 bass that were in the 2 to 4lb range, but most of them didn't want the couple of lures I brought with me. I managed to catch two decent ones weighing 2-4 and the other weighing 2-12. Also caught a couple of 11" dinks. Now that I know where they are hiding I can go back better equipped and get those good ones to eat. I took some pics with my digital camera...I'll post them later tonight probably...
[signature]
i guess hes not going to say where he went . . .

sm
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] [font "Comic Sans MS"]Yeah, it's a double super secret. OH yeah, Southerman I like the new Cubs flag. [font "Verdana"] [/font][/font][/font][font "Verdana"][/size] [/font]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] [font "Comic Sans MS"]David [/font][font "Verdana"][/font] [/size] [/font]
[signature]
Well, if I was to spend a few days finding a spot, then only had one crack at it with minimal equipment, you could bet your bottom dollar I wouldn't broadcast it at a bulletin board. Well, I'd probably eventually tell the board, but only AFTER I got a few good days at it. The guy deserves that at least.

It's one thing to discuss baits and techniques and such, but it's a bit presumptuous to think people are gonna give out their honey holes. I certainly don't expect it.

Good fishing to you SturgeonKid, I hope that hole yields a monster to ya.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]
Thanks Mark...ya, sorry guys, it's just not the time to be giving out that kind of detail...Mark said it pretty well I think, and I'm sure you guys can respect that. I mean, I've got no problem with helpin' you guys out with catchin' fish and givin' ya the info to do so...but I've learned my lesson with giving out too many real specific details to people on the net. Too many times in CA when I've found good fish then blabbed about it on the net, only to go to the spot sometimes as soon as the next day to find guys fishin' there killin' the bite. Really, there's not much to it, you've just got to apply the time to find 'em. It's typical spring-time bass fishing. They're up shallow to do the spawning thing. I did see one fish on a bed today. Really, there's not a whole lot else to say about it though...I still have to go out and figure out what it'll take to get those better fish to eat before I can really give anyone any pointers...all I did was go out there with a senko and a crankbait today...
Anywho, I just tried uploading my photos, and it only uploaded two of them before my computer froze and deleted the last two pics on the camera. For some reason my computer is having problems lately with uploading photos. So unfortunately, the only pics that got uploaded were the ones of the first two dinks that I caught before I caught the pair of two pounders...[mad] Oh well, I should have a pic of a good fish next week...
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"]Not a problem, fish your hole and fish it good. Those are some good looking fish.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"]David [/font][/size]
[signature]
Hey Xman...
Just to let you know, I went out to my hole tonight for a couple of hours and found the stripers up in there fairly shallow chasing schools of shad. The cove I was fishing was absolutely LOADED with shad all over the place, but for the most part there weren't too many fish bustin' up through 'em for a meal. I caught a few 1-2lb largemouths drop-shotting small worms, and then a few more 1-2lbers throwing a topwater bait as the sun was going down. Then that's when some excitment started and the stripers moved in and there were a couple of quick frenzies. One of them was close enough to cast to, so I started working my topwater through the middle of the frenzy and had a 4lb striper slam it. The pics aren't too great, but they work I guess. ha. It's hard to frame the shot right when the camera is sitting on the side of a steep dirt mound...[Tongue]
[signature]
nice pics!

sm
[signature]
hey thats good news. makes me ancy to get down there. hopefully i can pull it off soon. thanks for the update.
[signature]
I heard aolt of good things about Boulder Beach.Somesay striper up to 50 pounds.I believe it because I went on thye internet and heard and saw the same thing.I will most def be up there.[Smile]
[signature]
welcome to the site kingcat [Wink]

i hope to read a fishing report from you soon!

sm
[signature]
My brother was just down there and did good. Caught lots of cats from 5lb to 25lb. Stripers were biting good out deeper but consistant. Didn't catch any crappie but I'm sure they are biting now.
[signature]
were did you catch those bass and with what[Smile]
[signature]