Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Fishing
[center]Spring Fishing[font "Arial Unicode MS"][size 3] [/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Arial Unicode MS"][size 3]In the Waters of the Chesapeake Bay[/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Arial Unicode MS"][size 3]For: [/size][/font][/center] [ul] [li][size 3]Croaker[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3]Trout( gray/spotted)[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size][/li][/ul] [center]· [size 3]Flounder[/size][/center] [center][size 3]In the Cape Lookout for:[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size][/center] [ul] [li][size 3]Atlantic Bonita[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size][/li] [li][size 3]Cobia[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size][/li][/ul] [center]· [size 3]Spanish Mackerel[/size][/center]

[size 3]Just wondering who will be out looking for these little Friday night dinners?[/size]Any one has any tips they wouldn’t mind sharing on what to do when targeting Spanish mackerel? Tips on others species for the spring runs would be well appreciated as well.
[signature]
For spanish mackeral on the lower Chesapeake, start looking for them around the July 4th. I use those # 1 Clark spoons, the small one's behind Striker planers pulled at 5.8 knots. If you find the food chain (anchovies) your in business, particularly near structure and deep water edges with tide rip. Also; nobody considers crab pots structure, but over the last few years I've caught many a nice mackeral, zig zagging pots in 20 feet of water in the evening. If that rod tips not dancing, your not pulling those spoons hard enough. Not fast enough no bites, fast enough, and they will plain out smash it. Hands down.
[signature]
welcome to BFT,

and thanks for the lead and tips...

I take it you have your own boat, what are you sporting these days?
[signature]