Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Me choose a new set-up!
[size 1]I got some gift certificates for Sportsman's and need a new set up. Here is what I plan on going after, maybe you have some suggestions.

1. Big lake trout at Fish Lake.

2.Tiger's at Pineview.

3. Some Pier fishing in So. California.

I hope there is a versatile set up including rod and reel for what I want to go after. I know with my spinning outfit I can use inter-changeable spools for the different lines.What type/strength line do I want? I have no clue how the baitcasters work. Any input is much appreciated.
[Image: salmon.gif] [/size]
[signature]

Hey there bigben1,

A setup to use for both pier and lake trout is pretty easy as you'll not be casting very much but you need pretty good line capacity of 15 to 25lb test. I assume you talking about the tiger muskie not the tiger trout. I figure you've got to cast a lot to get those muskies to hit.

Sounds like you don't do much baitcasting but I still would (I'm a light tackle angler) recommend getting something like a Shimano Calcutta 400, Abu garcia 5500+, Daiwa Millionaire... lots of these reels avaliabe from dealers on this site. I'd put that reel on a 7-7 1/2 foot HD, beefed up Pitchin' or Flippin' stick.

Again, if you're cannon balling for deep lake trout..... well you may need something more like a boat rod. Lots of guys are starting to use the beefed up 71/2's (the ones that are all black) with the roller guides for fishing of the sporties here in so cal too!

JapanRon
[signature]