Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First float tube of 2004
Well, went to Mantua today. Ice off just last Sunday. Went because of cabin fever and to introduce Sparky (now 9 mos) to my float tubing. Sparky did well, but fishing wasn't good, 1 small bass. Spent 1/2 day. The trip was a success because of Sparky. He stayed fairly close on shore, swam out several times (not nearly as good a swimmeer as Bud yet), but handled it pretty well, only moderately concerned about everything. Got a little scared with early a.m. thunder, was his first experience with it. Kind of surpriseing since shooting the shot gun doesn't bother him. Fun and interesting to watch my new best bud develope.

Probably needed to be in deeper water because of cold water temps., but wanted to stay pretty close to shore for Sparky. Really looking forward to warmer water temps. and fishing with Sparky.

[crazy][crazy]Leaky

Hey there leaky,

You've got a lucky little doggie there. I would have a dog myself but I'm too selfish to dedicate the time it would take to maintain the kind of relationship I would feel the creature deserved.

I've been lucky to grow up with dogs from puppyhood (theirs not mine) and sometimes I expected them to take more in stride than they could handle. My shepard was almost human and had good days and I-just-don't-get-it days.

Await further adventures of leaky and sparky.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Leaky. Glad you got on the water and that the Sparkster added to his education. I think I would have been nervous about the thunder too. That is usually my cue to get off the water for awhile. I just hate it when lightning comes down the rod and fries the gears in my reels. Usually messes up my hair pretty bad too. I don't look good with my Don Kind hairdo.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Some waters are better than others at iceout. Not being able to use a little bait, on Mantua, probably handicapped you. The fish are still in winter mode, even though the ice is off. That means vertical jigging, with a "flavored" offering, will usually do better than something retrieved faster than they want to chase it...especially if there is no scent to get their attention.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sounds like you had a good day though. I am sure there will be many more to come.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Are you going to try for the wipers and walleyes in Willard this spring from your tube? That can really be a blast. Some of that "New Orleans Stuff" will be good to try...soon. Best colors will be chartreuse and the always effective 3" white twisters, with a light head...fished parallel to the rocks. White or pearl shad bodies work well too. I did especially well on those when I used a permanent marker to make a dark blue back on a plain white or pearl. You can buy them with the blue backs, but it is usually a pale blue. The darker seems to work better. In the fall, I make a red back line and that works well until iceup.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Dude,

As a matter of fact, I've been thinking of Willard but am waiting to hear about some wiper activity/catching before I go. I have lots of stuff to try and will be glad to test your stuff. By the way, your memory of Willard is a little out of date now. 95% or more of the rock is out of water. Hopefully it will fill a bit to get the rokc in the water again.

By the way, the thunder was at home before we went. It was a brief thunder storm that cleared up way before we went. When I get Sparky out fishing etc., I'm a little worried he might take off, hope not. I'll just have to watch him close I guess. Maybe a few more at home might get him used to it.

[crazy]Leaky