Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comins Lake Trip
I checked with my friend who lives in Ely and the ice is coming off fast at Comins. There is some limited bank fishing going on and they are whoopin' a$$. I'm gonna hit the lake first weekend of April from Sun - Tues. That's providing the ice is off. I've been following the weather quite closely and the weeklong warm spell that Ely is over. The ice should continue to melt but not at it's current pace. If the ice is not off then I'll be hitting Lee's Ferry.

I was reading some of the other posts concerning Comins. I've fished that lake 20 - 30 trips in the last few years and to my experience that lake has outperformed any other fishing spots within a 4hr drive of Vegas(I drive fast if you were wondering) for quality fish. First and foremost, you need a boat to really explore it's potential. I and other friends have done fine from shore at times, but access is limited, and usually crowded. The most accessible parts of the lake are the poorest for fishing.

I'm going to list some observations as statements about the lake to assist you who haven't fished it before. These are personal experience so take them for what they're worth.

*The far end of the lake, away from the road, is the most productive.

*The lake can turn on and off like a lightswitch. The best day I ever had their was an afternoon followed by one of the most unproductive mornings I'd ever had.

*Fish early/late. The best bite is usually at this time, but more importantly these are the times the wind is usually calm. Consider yourself an unusually lucky person if you can fish there between lla - 3p wind free or in a slight breeze. The lake usually has a LOT of wind during these hours most days.

*Do not be too concerned with technique. I've seen alot, and big, fish caught with every method imaginable. Many days all seem to be working at the same time.

If I think of any more, I'll certainly follow up this post with them.

A few other things to consider... there were not many, but a couple of 30" pike were creeled this winter by NDOW. I'd think the majority of the pike are smaller, but there won't be many good years left for Comins. My biggest rainbow to date (7lbs) was caught there and I can't even begin to count 5lbs and less fish. The first fish I hooked there jumped several times and he'd of gone better'n 10lbs. I was using way too light of tippet and he eventually broke me off in the weeds. My heart still skips a beat when I remember that guy.

I've been following the lake closely for a few years now, and according to NDOW biologists the growth rate is an inch a month from May - July. This is because the lake is so abundant with food. Many days I've seen several full stringers at the boat launch all consisting of 3lbs+ rainbows. That lake definitely has big fish.

I truly love the lake and I would dearly love to meet the guys who keep putting pike in there. I could always claim the whoopin' I give 'em was a citizens arrest now couldn't I?!? I wish these idiots would do a bit of reading and actually understand that the lake won't support a premier pike fishery. For a few years nice pike will be caught, maybe even a new record, but inevitably the pike will eat up the fishery and they'll stunt. It's a shame too, 'cause with the mine closed the residents could probably use an influx of fisherman to help out the local economy. A trout fishery would accomplish this, the pike never will.

I've rambled on, but if any of you are interested in meeting me there to fish let me know. I'll be traveling with a buddy and we usually fish our float tubes, though I may bring the boat. If you don't have a tube or boat, I know a few good bank spots, though they're not secret and they're a first come/first serve basis.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Thanks for all the insight on Comins. My schedule looks clear for that weekend, I may have to load up and head up there. I personally, would like to get into some of those Pike. But will be happy with catching Trout especially if they're bigger than stockers. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
Just a slight correction from my earlier post. I just looked at my schedule and I'll be at the lake Sun and Mon, not Tues. I forgot I picked up an extra day at work.

I just built myself a nice 9wt fly rod... perfect for pike. I plan on keeping it with me and trying for them as well. I've never caught a pike, so I need to get that done Smile.

My main interest is in the rainbows there. While I do catch some smaller fish, the majority of what I catch is in the 1 - 3 lb range there. Most days I do quite well, but every year I do have a frustrating trip or two. That's part of the love affair. It's just plain nice for the majority of your catch to be large healthy fish. And probably every other trip I've caught a quality fish... on good days I've caught several quality fish in one day.

I'm definatly not an expert fisherman, I just happened to catch this lake at it's prime time. It probably would've tapered off a bit as it was getting to be quite popular, but nothing like what the pike are gonna do to it. Hit it now guys, 'cause it won't be worth much in a few years.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
I'll be at Comins before dawn tomarrow. The trip will be from Sun - Tues afterall. My buddy ended up not needing the day off, so I'm going all 3 days afterall.

Let's hope the fish co-operate.

If anyone's gonna meet me I drive a black Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. I'll also be fishing out of a 12ft aluminum v-hull boat with an electric motor on it. I'm 6'0", 210lbs with straight brown hair. I'll also be fishing with a fly rod.

I also have a buddy going with me, same height with black wavy hair. He may fish outta his tube though.

I'm bringing the digital camera and I'm hoping to get some nice pics with it.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
do you ever have one of those frs/grms radios with ya ? powermaker and I may be up tuesday . .

sm
[signature]
No I don't...but other'n short breaks, I'll be on the water from dawn to dusk and probably at night as well....I'm gonna attach a picture(one of me one of my buddy John) so you guys know what I look like...

Hope to see you there.

Mark
[signature]
Well we're off....

I'm going to my buddies right now... he has two radios I asked him... we'll try'n use channel 14... hope you can make it... I heard the fishings been fantastic..

Later...

Cya in a few days guys!
[signature]
Well, the report was right, Comins was on fire this weekend for me and my buddy John.

We caught alot of fish, and alot of quality fish. The bite pretty much continuous throughout the 3 days we were there. I lost two monsters due to the heavy cover. A 3wt rod was loads of fun, but I just didn't have enough backbone to turn those big guys when I needed too.

The weather was strange, we had great weather stretches on all 3 days (Sun - Tues), but each day sudden harsh thunder storms would hit us. It didn't bother the fish a bit, and we continued fishing even into the downright gale Tues evening... BTW, I called on channel 14 Tues morning to see if anyone was there, but got no answer. During a stretch of bad weather, the radio got stored with all the other electronics, so I'm not sure if any of you guys made it. The weather was the worst on Tues afternoon. Strong winds and driving sleet at one point. There wasn't lightning present so my buddy and I fished on. True to form, it suddenly cleared up in the evening and some nice fishing was to be had from shore.

Most of the guys we talked with didn't do that well. The fish were specifically feeding on chironomids. Nothing else was really working. They're also full of eggs and sperm, so a salmon egg might be effective.

This trip easily rivalled any previous fishing trip I've had. I have pretty good rain gear, so I wasn't too uncomfortable.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]
well i made my first trip to comins, got a late start, didn't get to the lake until 3 pm tues and it was raining already . . . i was suprised at all the bank access, you can almost fish completely around the lake from the bank . . . no scenery to speak of, you're right next to hwy 93, a few nice mts in the background . . .

i tried a brown bugger with spinning bubble and caught a nice one 15 minutes after i got there . .an 18-20 incher [center][Image: c1.jpg][/center] [center] [/center] [left]then nothing, tried alot of different things as the electrical storm started up, all the boats left the water, and there was a nice lightining strike about a 1/2 mile from the lake, so i got in my car and waited for an hour or so, when the rain kept getting harder, and the sleet/snow started, i said screw it and got a hotel room . .. it slowed down around dark, (figures), so i got a good nights sleep . . [/left] [left]went back wednesday morning i was first one there, caught a frsky 14 incher to start . . [/left] [left][Image: c2.jpg][/left] [left]then nothing for 4 hrs . . .tried alot of stuff, more and more people showed up to where it was getting kinda crowded to move, so i packed in and hauled back to vegas . . .looked like rain was coming back anyways . . 10 hr drive, 5 hrs fishing . . i saw a older guy fly rodding caught a nice one and lost a nice one...[/left] [left]figures about the midge larvae(chironomids) . .about the only thing i didnt try . . i tried black, brown, olive buggers, egg sucking leech, prince nymph, hares ear, green scud, ect. i was getting ready to try a zebra midge when i packed it in . . [/left] [left]tried channel 14 when i got there around 3 pm but i guess you had stashed your radio already . . i was in the red jacket on the bank, silver small car . .. were you in a boat?, i didnt see any tubers. . .[/left] [left]sm[/left]
[signature]
Sorry I missed you Southerman,

Yeah we was in a boat... a little 12ft vhull with an electric motor. Both of us were fly fishing. The wind was so strong on the lake we finally moved within 50yrds of the boat launch area. I had caught a couple of fish when the storm moved in. The lightning lasted only 30 minutes, but we beached the boat and relocated to the bank. we fished throughout and into the evening when the storm abated. The water was like a mirror the last 30 mins before dark and we caught several nice fish each.

A zebra midge would've nabbed you some nice fish, but I'm surprised that you didn't catch a few with the hare's ear. Part of the day Tues I fished a Hare's ear in tandem with a chironomid pattern. While I caught the majority of my fish with the chironomid, the hare's ear was working, and I caught the best fish of the trip with it. I didn't weight or take a picture of him, but he was easily a solid 5lbs. I lost two in the 10+ range however, one took a midge and one took the hare's ear. I almost landed one of the big guys, but he got himself tangled in the anchor, just as we worked him free, he got into the stringer. Luck wasn't with us the second time and he broke the line before I could free him. It didn't help me that I was using 4lb tippet either. I know I should use heavier tippet at that lake, but I like to give the fish a fighting chance. Right after I hooked the one that broke off he shot straight into the air at least 4 - 5ft right in front of us. Man what a show. I don't care if I landed him or not, that was pure fun. He was built like a linebacker and gave me at least 15 minutes of fun before he broke off. I'll remember that jump until the day I die.

I'm really sorry I missed you. Enjoy the bank fishing while you can. This is the first trip that I've seen trout in numbers at the dam end. But it's also the first time I've been there this early in the year. With a good pair of polaroid glasses you could see the trout moving in schools right along the bank at the boat launch. A boat wasn't even necessary, but we brought it so I used it. Shore fishing was just as successful however and we spent a good portion of time there as well.

I really can't say as to how the far end fished... We got into schools of big fish in the canal through the tules every day so we never got to the lower end. There was no reason to go further...

There was another fly fisher I talked to that did ok with a damselfly nymph pattern, I think he said he got 15 fish, though no quality guys. Other'n that most people I talked to only had a few fish, fly fishing or otherwise.

This was the first time I experience a continual bite at Comins.. Most of the time it's early and late that I do well. 95% of the fish were in the 1 -3lb range.

This is the first trip I've gone without catching some small bass. I was told the pike are eating the bass up... and we caught very few smaller trout so I assume they're getting eaten as well. Makes for fun fishing now, but in a few years the trout/bass fishery will be gone.

I don't know if Cave Lake is unfrozen yet, but it's a decent alternative to Comins when the bite is off, or the wind is too bad. Cave is protected and you can literally catch 100's of smaller fish there at most times. It's also a pretty lake to camp at. Much more scenic than Comins.

I'll catch you on another trip.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
yah i saw hundreds of fish cruising the shoreline . . couple real nice ones . . i watched them turn their nose up at my buggers . . literally got right up close, turned tail and said no way, i even threw a whole nightcrawler in about 10 feet from shore, one came right up on it, and turned tail . . . i think thats when i called it a trip . .

sorry i missed you too . . . but thanks for your report and great info . . i know we all appreciate it . . take some pictures next time!

sm
[signature]
If they'll come up and look at a fly but won't take it then go smaller. They like what they see but it spooks them. A fly pole would of helped with the presentation but still just as effective. I've got my other pole out so any time your ready, it's yours.
[signature]
We took a couple of pics in nicer weather, but I mostly videotaped my buddy John. Got some real nice footage of him landing a 3lber, but the nicer weather was few and far between so the digital camera, camcorder, and all the other electronic stuff stayed in a weatherproof container the majority of the time. I'm trying to get into the habit of taking pics, but after years of float tubing alone I still forget to most of the time. Plus we were catching fish so fast neither of us wanted to stop to take pictures. Here is a few of the ones we did take. Most fish I catch I don't even take from the water. I net them, remove the hook and release them without removing them from the water. John4 and Me4 are browns.

Later,
Mark

ps. Midges will always work the first few weeks after ice off at any trout lake. Depth is critical however and you have to adjust until you find the level they're taking them at. I cheat and use my fish finder to find where they're at, but if I'm bank fishing I just start at the bottom and work up. Midge size is also a factor, though I don't find it as important. Have several in size 24, 16, and 12 and you'll be good. The color of midge larvae does change from lake to lake and you can up your ratio by matching it, but in most lakes zebras work fine. I hope this helps a bit.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Hey Telbone, you're going to have to slow down my notebook is getting too full to fast. Thanks for all the tips. Nice pictures also. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
Atta boy! Great Pics! hey we can make video into real video for the web . . . its a free program, let me know if you ever want to convert some vids . .

sm
[signature]