Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Spring Walleye Fishing"
[size 3]"Spring Fishing"[/size]

[size 1]"Jigging'" while admittedly one of the toughest presentations, is, when mastered, not only one of the best presentations but my favorite. It is a presentation that demands absolute concentration and can produce dynamite action. [/size]

[size 1]Usually, in the spring, the fish metabolism is low and the bite is quite light. Therefore, I use, and recommend the use of the lightest tackle your nerves will allow. I use 12lb-20lb. test monofiliment a quality medium slow action rod and as light a jig as the conditions will allow. [/size]

[size 1]Usually, I am using either a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jig. If conditions permit I will tie on a 1/16 oz. jig. You may or may not, depending on choice, use a "twister tail" or "grub body". I prefer using just the jig and the minnow. If I do use a "twister tail" I break the tail off close to the body and either use the tail itself or just the body. This is to expose a bit more hook. You can get your jig to the bottom quicker without the tail or body. [/size][size 1]I usually start fishing the warmest water I can find during the spring. [/size]

[size 1]I concentrate, normally, by keeping the boat in 12 to 25 feet of water and pitch the jigs towards shore. Wind and water clarity conditions will dictate how shallow to leave the boat while pitching. [/size][size 1]Should the wind speed cause you difficulty in pitching the jigs to shore I will often hang out my "drift sock" (sea anchor) and drag the jigs as close to vertical as I can while drifting points. [/size]

[size 1]Points and stream channels coming in to a lake seem to work the best for Walleye in the spring. I look for points that have sharp drop-offs to either or both sides to begin my presentation and just keep working until I take a fish or two. [/size]

[size 1]Once I have established that fish are indeed in that area I will spend quite a bit of time working the area. To many fellows make the mistake of constantly moving. In the spring with the light bite and slower metabolism once you find some fish I suggest you keep working it. [/size]

[size 1]The fish will move in and out feeding off and on for quite a while unless "spooked" out by a number of boats. [/size]

[size 1]electric trolling motors in slowest setting on a still lake can produce some outstanding results trolling.[/size]
[signature]
loved the tip and will try it down here soon thanks dave.
[signature]