Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
drop shotting
Doeas anyone know of any group or individuals that are trying to get Michigan to amend the legal fishing methods to allow drop shot rigs?

I spoke with a DNR official and described the setup. They told me that it is illegal to use. Here is the link to the unlawful methods, [url "http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_10888_23815-65060--,00.html"]http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_10888_23815-65060--,00.html[/url]
[signature]
That seems a little bit too much on the rules. We use dropshot all the time in Cali. I wonder if they are concerned with the amount of lead weights that get snagged or left behind in the waters.[crazy]
[signature]
cant drop shot in michigan ..thats snaging
[signature]
yea ken , that became illeagle a few years back .

you would think it was due to the hundreds of anglers that were being injured during the spring and fall runs , lost eyes , ears and sometimes fatal injurys to the head , but thats not the case here.

a fishing group got together with the dnr and did a study on how the fish populations were being harmed .

spawning bass , waleye , stergon , browntrout and others were not the intended fish to snag but all were being mutilated by the "michigan spiders ".

the dnr then used our tax money to lobby for the new law in our legslature , as the fishing group that started the whole thing "represented all michigan fishermen "in the argument for it .

the dnr financially aids (supports) a few outdoor groups , in turn these groups are used to "reflect" the wishes of the general public .

it's just bedtime politics as usual .

now you may get the idea i'm for snagging , nope , i'm dead against it !

what really burns my biscuts is the way these public funds to clubs are misused to let the dnr have its way . if they want a law changed , ask ALL the guys buying the licenses , not just the special intrest groups there funding .

with the dnr wanting laws like this , and operating like it does it will never be changed . dropshotting will remain illeagle in michigan despite those who wish to see it returned .
[signature]
[li][#635208]Have a weight rigidly [/#635208]attached to a multi-pointed hook; or suspended from a multi-point hook; or suspended below any hook unless the hook is on a dropper line (a leader) that is at least 3" long. [/li]
[signature]
It looks like they mean Treble hooks cannot be used especially if the leader below the hook is only 3". Or any hook with less than 3" of leader below it.
[signature]
you can use a treble hook but the treble hook cant be tied too the main line with a weight below it..it has too be on a leader thats aleast 3" off the main line.. thats called snaging .. you can tight line a fish ..thats one way of geting around the snaging part.. its because of all the snagin that went on for salmon. now the state sells the salmon eggs .if you talk too some of the poeple around the river..bye me.they say it hurt the bussines but they are happy not too have the drunks all around and trash on the river banks..
[signature]
bassass is 100% correctumundo !

single hooks can be weighted , lead head jiggs .

trebs thou , no way jose' . lead lures cannot be over 1 oz. and the gap on the hook is to be less than 3/8" i think , i'll have to double check the rules. there's diferent "lure rules "for trout streams by class and designated non trout streams .

spoons and spinners have and follow the same rules for the trout streams .

possesion of an illeagle lure can get you slapped with a heavy fine , even if it's a muskey lure in your tackle box locked in your car trunk .
[signature]
i was over that way today , saw the truck and the lil' 4x4 in the driveway , no car thou , otherwise i would have stoped by for a visit .

the river was pretty high , and only saw one dark male cought . some guys came from the pier and said 2 were cought at the pierhead in oscoda , but the winds were strong and darn cold .

the banks were free of trash , but given the fishermen that will be there during the next 2 or 3 weeks , it'll look like a dump again .

i've noticed the dnr dudes don't come down when there's a lot of people down there . you would think the $500.00 litering tickes would intrest them more than the $200.00 snagging tickets .

i know i hate having them sit there watching every move everybody makes , but the au sable needs it untill the message gets across , fish but don't trash !
[signature]
that's cool to know ! i saw the dnr there last weekend , checked me out .

but the other people that packed up and left real quick were met at the top .

i thought the fish were gonna cooperate this weekend , but they fooled me . i didn't last to long today , got the beginnings of the cold or flu . all winter long not a sniffle , stealhead season starts and wham !

it just ain't right ! lol !
[signature]
I think that the fact that it could be used as a snagging rig is the reason.
[signature]
They say any hook "below any hook "
[signature]
gotta read it carefully , hook can not have a weight suspended or fixed to it . jigs and lures have the weight above the hook , not below them .

i see you want to seek out a club or group that is active in revokung this law . instead we can guide you to learning how to catch the fish your after using legal michigan methods .

what are you trying to catch ?
[signature]
If you read, it says

suspended below any hook unless the hook is on a dropper line (a leader) that is at least 3" long.

Are you reading this someplace else or the DNR page?

Since this method is legal in many other states, I am wondering why Michigan is against it
[signature]
nope , same page , the leader line is off the main line and contains the hook , the main line dose not contain a hook unless it is a lure without a fixed hook .

mainley the no snagging law is to protect the salmon , steelhead and trout species of fish , vulrinable during the spawning runs . as many fisherpeople as we have in this region of the country those fish would be long gone from our waters . [Sad]

we also don't use trout ot trott lines , if we did the stergon would be extinct . we give the fish a fair chance at being cought here in the mit . [Wink]

besides it sounds better to say "i'm going fishing" then to say "i'm off to go snagging ". don't you think so ? [Tongue]

fishing requires skill , any bubba can snag with little or no experiance at all . in some states snagging is a lawfull way to catch a fish , no problem with that here , it's their law , not ours . we still have our salmon and steelhead fishing [cool], do they ?
[signature]