Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southernman, Saguaro and Sneaky Cats
[cool][blue][size 1]The past week has been upside down, with my mother being in the hospital with a broken thigh. I welcomed the opportunity to hit the water Saturday morning with Southernman, who was down from Vegas with his brother for some spring training games. He is from Chicago and a big Cubs fan, like 75% of the Phoenix population.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]We hit Saguaro Lake about 6:30 AM. The air temp was around 50 and the water was 65 when I launched my Fat Cat. Southernman trudged around the east shoreline to do some bankin'. He had already missed a couple of hits when I kicked close to his position.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]After missing a couple of hits myself, I switched to my tried and true white Roadrunner bait bug, with a piece of fish flesh...flavored with salt and shad oil. Within a few seconds of making the first cast with the white trinket, I felt a solid thump and set the hook in a heavy kitty fish. That was right on the dot of 7 AM, and I did not persuade it to climb into my net for about 15 minutes. It measured out about 25 inches and weighed an estimated 6.5 to 7 pounds. I put it in my basket, but never got it home. More about that later.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Just as I resumed fishing, I heard a resounding YEEEE HAWWW from the bank and observed Southernman locked in mortal combat. He had a heavy fish hooked, but alas his line gave up on him. He did not receive my condolences well. I think I asked him something about how many years it had been since he spooled with new line. His terse reply was that it was new line. I gave up before I got myself in trouble. Sorry, Dude.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I kicked around and tried different jigs and retrieves to no further benefit. Southernman scored a nice yellow bass, from his shoreline spot, and communicated same via the walkie talkies we brought. I kicked back over to the east bank area and soon got bit with another cat. This feisty two pounder turned my craft clear around about three times before joining the bigger one in the basket.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once the sun hit the water, the yellow bass got more active. I scored several...before the swim club set out their buoys right on top of the "spot" and began holding olympic splashing contests. The fish on my sonar disappeared and my stick remained unbent for a long time. I had a couple more hits during lulls in the swimming activity.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Southernman finally got the hang of working one of my Roadrunners and brought in another nice yellow bass...missing several more of the now wary linesides. I collected his two fish for the dinner basket, when he had to leave early to take his brother back to the airport. I stayed another hour and managed a couple more yellow bass, but only after the swim club brought in their buoys and shut down for the day.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Back on the beach, I took out the camera and shot some pics for the folks back home. The shots of the fish in the basket went okay, as did the shot of my new lightweight 3 tube rod rack on its maiden voyage. Works great.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Then, I thought I would take the biggest cat out of the basket and pose it next to the 18 inch measure on my tube apron. That kittyfish cooperated nicely and stayed put when I laid it gently into position. BUT...as I opened the cover on the camera, that sneaky catfish arched its back and sprung about three feet up and out...making a perfect 6.0 dive into the shallow water where the rear of my craft still floated. With no hesitation, it rocketed toward deeper water, throwing a roostertail for the first few feet.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I wrote a post last year about catching a cat with a stringer still in its mouth. I called him Houdini. I think my cat must have come from the same family. They sure do have an instinct for escape and survival.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I still ended up with the smaller cat and a dozen nice yellow bass. Will let you know how they turned out on the table. Southernman, TubeBabe and myself are planning to dine royally on them before hitting the evening Cubs game.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report TubeDad, sorry to hear about the Houdini but at least you got to keep something. I'm glad that southernman got to have a tast of your stompin grounds. Next time out we got to hook him up with a tube.
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2]Hey TubeDude, Thanks for sharing your day and pictures with us. Noticed how clear the water is along the shore. I would be lucky to find any thing but murky water here.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]

Hi TubeDube,

As always... nice report that makes one feel like they were part of the action. Some of those cats are just one big muscle! It doesn't matter if they are flipping their tails or chomping down on your thumb if you were foolish enough (like I was) to put a good bit of my thumb into a 4 or 5 pounders mouth.

Sorry about the 'Great Escape' hope they're be no Great Escape II in the cards.

I thought you might be interested in seeing my illustration of my combination saltwater live bait system and live fish retainer. I still have 3 additonal improvements on it but this should show its general functionality. It works quite well and the bag can be as long as you want.

See illustration in attachment.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, JR, it looks like somebody has been playing with the PVC again. That looks like a good design for the fish holder.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]TO T2: I tried to talk our "Vegas Connection" into using a tube. As you know, we have all the gear. But, I ran out of breath before he ran out of excuses. Some folks just resist the idea of goin' afloat. They just have to be content with watchin' us floatation fools catchin' more fish and havin' more fun.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]TO DryRod: The water is fairly clear in that lake, most of the time. It is the fourth impoundment on the chain of dams along the Salt River. Even when we get a lot of rain, it is rare to have Saguaro Lake become very murky. Only after a few weeks of heavy rain do all of the lakes turn brown. When they do, the fishing dies, because the fish are used to feeding by sight in the normally clear waters.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]TO ALL: While I begrudge a fish outsmarting me, and the loss of a fine catfish dinner early in the season, I hope I never become so greedy that I can't stand to lose a big fish. In fact, when the fish are hitting well, I would rather keep a couple of two or three pounders than one of the big ones. They are better eating. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am a C&R guy for many species, most of the time. I do keep lots of the prolific (and good tasting) species, like the yellow bass. They are fun and they can be delectably served in many recipes. We often have fish two or three times a week when the yellow bass are plentiful. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I do keep quite a few cats too. They are in no danger of becoming extinct, and when taken from good clear lakes, like Saguaro, they are excellent eating. They feet on live shad and crawdads, just like largemouth, so they are of the finest eating quality. And, being sight feeders in clear water, they readily accept my little jigs. We catch more cats on jigs than most folks who fish only bait for them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Glad you guys liked the post. I expect Southernman to chip in after he gets back home later today. We dined royally on scampi style yellow bass fillets last night, and then went to an evening game of his Cubs playing the Padres. For him it was a lousy ending to a great day...when the Padres hammered the Cubs.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a blast, TubeDude. At least you got to experience the awesome fight of Houdini's brother before he later outsmarted you. That story was so funny I was laughing out loud!

I had my first experience at Utah Lake/Lincoln Beach yesterday, and it went horrably (is that a word?). Serves me right for going out in the crappy weather with a bad cold. I might write up a post on the details on the Utah Board.

Quick question. I know you make those awesome little jigs of yours, but does that "shad oil" seem to help things out when the fish are just hitting your jigs often enough without it? If so, where do you get shad oil? I've thought about adding some anchovie smelly jelly to my jigs while walleye/white bass/cat fishing in Utah Lake this summer.
I'm very knew to warm water fishing, but am really excited about getting into them this summer, but since the wife is about to pop (36 weeks along now) I think for the next month or so I'll stick to the Jordan River wich runs right behind our condos here in South Salt Lake.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey 04T, glad you liked the report. Much fun.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You gotta use more good sense in hitting the water. Yeah, I know that fishing a good sense don't always go together. I also know that you can get severe withdrawal syptoms when you are fishing-deprived for too long. Boy how I know. Hope you don't overdo it and become a statistic.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]On the use of fish attractants, most experienced users of odoriferants (my word) agree that they do two things. First, they help mask any potential odors from your skin or other things you have been handling that are objectionable to fish. Second, most of them do have elements in them to draw in the fish and stimulate them to strike.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The smelly jelly is a popular choice. Anchovy is a good flavor, especially when you are fishing for predatory species that dine on small fishies. But, nightcrawler, crawdad, garlic, anise and others can all be effective at times.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have tried just about everything over the years. I have pretty much settled on two different flavors of the old Fish Formula products...Shad Oil and Crawdad Oil. They are relatively inexpensive and I just squeeze on a drop or two every few casts. One bottle lasts a long time. Here is a copy from the BassPro online catalog. Other places have it, and you might be able to find it at sportsmans.[/size][/#0000ff]

[Image: 42611.jpg]

This highly effectivefish attractant was created by a Tennessee doctor after many years of scientific research, prototype formulations, and final product field testing. Although it is highly imitated, no other formulation has duplicated the precise formulation of this product! Spray on any lure. 8 oz. Order by scent code.

OurPriceItemNumberDescriptionSize $3.9938-432-500-17GARLIC8 OZ $3.9938-432-500-22GAMEFISH8 OZ $3.9938-432-500-33CRAWFISH8 OZ $3.9938-432-500-55SHAD8 OZ
[signature]
Thanks, TD. Very useful info. Think I'll order some of that!
[signature]
yeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

had a great time fishin', talkin', lookin', droolin', eatin', drinkin', even watching maddux and the cubs get beat . . .

ill try a tube sometime, when nobodys lookin' . . . i'll admit id rather be in a boat though . . maybe theres something special about being in the water, in the element, so to speak . . i know im sick of bank fishin' and being limited by brush, sheer rock walls, 25 feet of greenery in the water lining the bank, marshes, ect . . .

maybe i can get back in a couple weeks to try again!

sm
[signature]
Hey southernman, Once you try a tube and get situated, you will never go back to bank fishing unless it an extremely windy day and don't have fins to kick around in. ha ha.

One of the main advanteges to a tube over bank fishing is the brush issue. You can squeeze a tube into many small pockets and areas that boats can gain access too. Some lakes, as you saw there in AZ, have areas that boats are restricted to all together for the safety of tubers.

I really like my poor mans boat, donut, tube,......what ever you want to call it. It is relaxing and lots of fun.
[signature]
Southernman that would be great if you got into tubing. Leaving my tube behind is just like leaving the pole, it doesn't happen.
[signature]
Hey Pat,, great story! Dang them supper kittin's! Sounds like they can jump from a float tube in a single bound!

~~Metal note to self. Take harpoon in case kitty jumps from my tube during the photo session. Added note, wait until the kitty clears the tube before tossing harpoon!~~
[signature]