Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
time to change
I am working on getting rid of my boat and getting a pontoon instead. Any thoughts as to this being a wise choice? I fish alone 99% of the time and like to get on waters that are less crowded. I think that the stealth mode of getting into fish and the ability to launch and retrieve in remote spots is what I am after!!

If anyone would like to work a trade on a toon for a boat let me know via a pm!
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2]I always wanted a boat. However, it is like a motor home, if you don't use it to often it cost you an arm and a leg. If needed one can always rent the darn thing. I love my float tube. If I had a pickup or SUV I would also get a pontoon. Tubes have their limitations particularily when it comes to MOVING water. What say you TubeDude??[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Bro, thanks for droppin' in. I imagine you will do better unloading your craft through the Utah board, but we have a few folks from Utah who wander in once in awhile.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have attached a writeup I once did on choosing a craft. It is slanted towards tubes, but mentions 'toons enough that you might find some value in it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Tubes and toons are ideal for the solitary fisherman. They do not require the work and hassle to launch and trailer that boats do. And, as you observe, they allow you to fish a lot of places not easily fished with boats...or from the shore. They are quiet and efficient too...allowing you to sneak up on spooky fish more easily.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you have a truck or trailer to handle a pontoon, you are home free. That is usually one of the factors that makes folks choose a float tube rather than a pontoon. Of course, you can deflate and take down a toon, to transport it in a regular auto trunk, but most of us prefer to have them ready to go when we hit the water. That takes more transport space.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you wander back through some of the archives, you will find threads and pics to offer additional insights. And, as you work on your "homework", feel free to post up any questions or observations.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I like the old saying....

The second best day of your life is when you buy a boat. The best day of your life is when you sell it!

I really like the ability to load up the toon, and hit just about any lake around. Yes there are advantages to a boat, but like you, if you want to hit the less crowded H2O, you usually need a fairly small craft. Good luck with your decision!
[signature]
You have me convinsed!! I will change my for sale post on the Utah board and try to work a trade for a toon.

Thanks for the quick response and great info, thats why I posted my question here. You all ROCK !!!
[signature]
Hey fish1on good luck on your search for a tube or a toon! I've had a tube for about 7 years now and I love it!!!! Just don't get out as often as I'd like.
[signature]