Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have entered the world of BAITCASTING
I took my $100 gift card to Gander MTN. today and bought a baitcaster combo. It's their brand... called the Guide Series. The reel is model GS600, a 6 bearing system with a gear ratio of 6.1:1.

The Rod is Guide Series Pro Graphite 6'6" Medium Action/line wt. 6 - 12 lb/ Lure wt.1/4 - 3/4 oz. I also bought line, and I hope I did ok... I bought PowerPro 20 lb. test. But it says that it's the diameter of 6lb test. I haven't figured out how to spool it on yet, but am getting ready to try. And yes, I am putting some mono on first to help keep the PowerPro from slipping on the reel.

Also bought an Arboghast Locust and a clear Zara Spook. Oh.. and the coolest fishing hat ever!!!! Hey, If I can't go out and fish good... I may as well go out and LOOK good!

I'd post pictures, but my digital camera is broken. WAHHHH!!
[signature]
FisherMOM, you're one step ahead of me. I'm still shopping around for my first baitcasting setup. I've got my eye on a nice GS series rod that's rated 20-40 lbs. Dunno what I'd use that for yet but I'm sure I'll find something!

Basically, I'm looking for something that's great for both big fish and getting fish out of the thick weeds.

Any suggestions?

And what about a reel that goes with the suggestion? Trying to stay under $150 total price.
[signature]
GOOD LUCK FISHERMOM WITH YOUR FIRST BAITCASTING FISHING TRIP. YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE A SMALL PICK OF SOME SORT JUST IN CASE YOU BACKLASH REAL BAD. I TRIED FOR A FEW YEARS TO CAST A BAITCASTING REEL WITH NO LUCK . THREW A FEW OF THEM IN THE WATER. THEN I FINALLY BROKE DOWN AND ASK A FRIEND TO SHOW ME HOW TO SET AND CAST THEM. NOW I CAN'T FISH WITH OUT THEM.
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2]Way to go FisherMom,[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Got my first modern bait casting system a couple of months ago. Picked up the Shamino CU 200BSF reel and a 6½' Shamino 10-17lb Fast Tapered rod. Makes for a real nice setup. Usually [as they did with mine] they will string the reel with the line of your choice. If the location where you picked up your rig is close by - I would go back & ask them to line your reel. Good luck with your new toys.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
I wish I'd known that! They were busy today, and didn't offer to tell me that when I had questions about baitcasters... hmm.... I need to know anyways I suppose!
[signature]
It's all spooled up now!!!!!!!
[signature]
Way to go FisherMOM. Congrats on your new setup. I have a few different out fits that I use for Baitcasting. It is alot of fun and I hope you enjoy it.
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 1]Ok FisherMoM, Now go out there and do your thing. Let us know how you made out. Do you have a digital camera? Nothing like a pic to help illustrate your story.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[size 2]You had to ask about the digital camera..... yes and no. I have a camera that broke on Friday. 3 days OUT OF WARRANTY!!! but after some complaining and pushing, I am getting it fixed FREE! hey...3 days out of waranty, I should be able to get in under the fence.....[/size]

[size 2]I did take my baitcaster to the nearest pond yesterday. 2 little tiny backlashes. Wasn't fishing..... just casting. had a lighted Bobber on it for weight. Pike and Bass aren't in season yet. Only thing left is panfish.... so I just practiced with the baitcaster. (BUT caught sunnis with my ultralight) I will share picks soon. I do have picks of me in my coolest new fishing hat though!! I had my Mom take it with HER digital camera! Let me know if I should share. I had bad hat head for the picture because I am wearing it all day since I got it!!![/size]
[signature]