Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report (3-27)
3 of us fished what some people refer to as 'Skunk Bay' at Soldier Creek (the last visible bay right off the highway). The ice didn't look too great and we were the first ones out on the ice so we were a little nervous and hesitant. We moved out and drilled a hole and found out there was 8-12" of solid ice underneath the top layer of slushy/bad ice. We fished from about 7:30 - 11:00 am. Started off slowly in 17' of water. Marked many fish on our vexliars but they weren't too interested. Caught a few. Moved farther into the bay to about 26' of water and it picked up (I had switched from a large glow tube to a small white jig). Actually caught some rainbows this trip. But, no fat ones. In fact, i caught a little guy that was about 10"...one of the smalled I've caught at the Berry. Anyhow...we ended up with about 16 fish between the 3 of us (a little more than half were cuts...all cuts were in slot). We released all bows, too.

My reel broke on my last trip and I forgot my extra rod that my buddy was supposed to use. So, we had only 2 poles between the 3 of us. I decided to try my luck at a little 'hand fishing'. I lowered the line down and wrapped the line around an ice spoon. I had a hit...set the hook and started pulling one up, but he got off. I kept at it and got another hit...set the hook with the spoon and started pulling the line in, hand over hand. Then I looked down and didn't see the line in my hands (I had gloves on) and I thought the line had broken and the fish got away. But then I spotted the line on the ice, picked it up and felt the tension of the fish still on there. Ended up landing it. It was a hoot...my buddies thought it was pretty funny and were impressed![Smile]

Fun day. I would like to fish Strawberry one more time, but not sure how the ice will hold up through the week.

Note - We saw one group fishing the Ladders area on the way back (where I usually go). There was some open water there by the inlet which is why we elected not to fish there.

Mike
[signature]