Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cocoa beach report
The fishing is getting better every day. The reds are in schools of 20 to 50 fish. The larger trout have found their way into the Banana River. Tarpon are in the mouths of the Cocoa Beach Canales in the early morning hours. And SNOOK have been hanging around the edges of the mangroves. What else could you ask for except a day to get out and play with our fishy friends.<br>If you are wanting to catch a few reds, get out and work the flats! These fish are everywhere. Well maybe not everywhere, but there are nice schools working the weed lines in 2 feet or less. For me the only bad thing has been that they have not wanted to hit top water for me for the past few days. They have been a little skittish and have only been caught on Cotee's Reel Magic. If you have never used one of these lures you have to give it a shot. As for what time you need to get out, we have been catching these fish all day. The wind has started to pick up by around 10am this week so I am still on the water by 0600 and have put the first fish in the boat by 0630.<br>Trout fishing continues to be a sure thing in the Cocoa Beach area. We have found groups of schoolies ( 10 to 18 inches) holding on the outer edge of the flats in 3 to 6 feet of water. Most of these fish have been caught on MirrOlure's 51MR-808 and the TT-28 and 21 rigged with a Daiichi Bleeding Hook on the front. The larger trout have started showing up this week in grassy flats. I have only caught one larger fish this week around 22 inches but, if it is anything like last year we will be catching some up to 37 inches within the next few months.<br>If you want to have you best shot at one of these gators, try working the flats between now and July in areas where there is a lot of bait just outside the flats. These fish are hard to fish from a boat unless you remember these few rules. #1 BE VERY QUITE. #2 make long casts across the flats #3 let the fish hook themselves, don't try to set a hook just because they strike it. #4 Keep a very low profile and do not move around very much. If you follow these rules all you need now is to work the flats and hold on tight.<br>In my next report I will have a few tackle reports on some new rods and lures I have been trying. Till then, Catch a Memory and take a few pictures to prove it.<br>For those of you that have been asking me where you can buy the Reel Magics try this web site http://www.donraystudio.com/fishinglures.htm John has just started selling these lures and will be happy to hook you up. <br>Don Ray has a new snook print! http://www.donraystudio.com/<br>This week all of our fish we caught where on:  <br>MirrOlure's Top Pup 74MR-21 and Top Dog 94MR-21 & 81 rigged with a Daiichi Bleeding Hook on the front<br>MirrOlure's Catch 2000 rigged with a Daiichi Bleeding Hook on the front<br>Cotee 3" Swirl Tails Clear silver flake<br>Cotee's Reel Magic<br><br><br><br>See you on the water<br>Capt. Doug Blanton<br>Indian River Adventures<br>321-432-9470