Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powering it up.
Does anyone have a clue as to what type of thrust lbs. a Sevylor trolling motor has. From what I've been able to gather its only two speed (probably slow,, and slower). But with my knee's the way their are paddling around with fins for a long period of time wont be an option, I'll need a lil help. I know I can get a small Minn Kota for about 90 bucks but I'm not sure if it will run well on the small sealed lead acid batteries while the Sevylor claims to from what info I've been able to round up about it. [unsure]

Thanks for your advice in advance...
[signature]
Hey Coldfooter, I know we've discussed power requirements and connections in the PMs. This should give you a chance to get some opinions on the rest of your questions about the thrust and reliablity of the motor.
[signature]
I got one of those sevylor motors from my dad, which means free. It's supposed to have something like 10-12 lbs thrust on high. It's also supposed to draw 7 amps on high, I believe. The battery that they sell to go with it is a 7ah(amp hour) battery, which in theory will power this motor for one hour.

I just rigged up a mount for it this last weekend, and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. If it's sufficient for my needs, I'll keep it, since I can't really afford a bigger one yet. I'll probably get a bigger motor in the future, since I think the extra thrust would be nice when you need to get back to shore in a hurry. I'm not sure what the current draw is for the minn kota 30 lbs thrust motors, so I'm not sure how big of a battery you'd need for it.
[signature]
[Smile]Yeah thats what I'm hoping for.. I figure being a newbie to tubing and what not I best go to those with the know. And, I cant thank you enough for all the helpfull ideeerries you and yer pop have given me.
[signature]
That's why we are here. For all the newbies and veterans alike. We can all learn from each other but only if we share.[Wink]
[signature]
I HAVE A 22 THRUST POUND MOTOR ON MY TUBE. IT IS A SMALL, UHH...MINNKOTA. I THINK. ANYWAY...I USE A 12-VOLT GEL CELL BATTERY OUT OF A RASCAL SCOOTER ON MINE AND I CAN RUN FOR 6 HOURS ALONE OR IF THERE ARE 2 OF US HOOKED UP IN TANDEM WE RAN FLAT OUT ON HIGH FOR 4 HOURS...THEN TOOK A WALK...BACK TO CAR. I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH POWER I DRAW ON LOW OR HIGH SETTINGS BUT MINE TOO IS ONLY HIGH OR LOW OR OFF. I CANT REALLY "FEEL" THE DIFFERENCE, BUT I SEE IT IN MY ROD TIP AS I TROLL FASTER. I USE THE FLOAT POWER SET UP OF THE SMALL TUBE WITH A BATTERY BUCKET IN THE BACK OF MY TUBE AND I HAVE NOT NEEDED YET TO ATTACH ANY PVC OR ANYTHING OVER THE HANDLE TO EXTEND IT FOR REACH, NOTE I DID SAY YET...THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES IT WAS A LITTLE OF A STRETCH TO REACH BACK THERE TO KILL THE MOTOR SO I COULD FIGHT A FISH THAT WAS PULLING ME THE OTHER WAY. AS FAR AS STEERING, I JUST KICK THE TUBE AROUND AND DONT TRY TO STEER WITH THE MOTOR, I LOCK IT STRAIGHT AND JUST TWIST MY SEAT. I HAVE NOT TRIED IT YET.....BUT THEORETICALLY, YOU COULD TURN THE MOTOR 180 DEGREES SO IT "PUSHES" YOU THROUGH THE WATER SO YOUR MOVING FORWARD AND CAN BETTER SEE WHERE YOU ARE GOING, I WOULD THINK THIS MAY CAUSE THE MOTOR TO WORK HARDER AND REDUCE BATTERY LIFE AND LENGTH OF TIME BEFORE NEEDING A RECHARGE.

JUST SOME OBSERVATIONS,

LATERS,
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Good stuff, Badfish. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Whenever you get into powered stuff you have to work the equation backwards. How big a motor do you have, how much juice does it require and how long do you plan to be running the motor. That will tell you how many amp/hours of power you need, and how big a battery you will need to get the job done.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you get a motor with a lot of thrust, obviously you are going to need more battery to run it for any length of time. If you need a big battery, you will need either the space and weight capacity in your craft, or you will have to add "sidecar" extra flotation for the battery. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Simple...but not easy.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
That was one of the questions I had about trolling with my pontoon. Do I troll forwards or backwards? Obviously going forward would be better for safety and convenience in navigation, but going backwards, I think it'd be easier to watch the poles, and fight the fish. Being in a pontoon, you've got either option I guess, since there isn't a transom or a bow.

When I rigged up my motor and mount, I actually reversed the orientation of the control box on the top of the motor, so that with the controls facing me(my back), the motor will be propelling me backward. I figure that if I want to go forward i'd just turn the motor 180 degrees and bada bing bada bang, I'd be going forward.

Thoughts? Experiences?
[signature]
Hey, I tried the little Sevylor motor on my pontoon yesterday, in a fairly stiff breeze, and I'd have to say that it was barely adequate. I just held it in my hands, and ran it off of my sla battery for my fishfinder, but it barely moved me against the wind. I think I'll just grab one of the walmart specials next payday rather than messing around with this anymore.

Just thought I'd give you an update.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Thanks for the followup mateo. Sorry it didn't get you up on plane, but I guess it just doesn't have the thrust.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The bass boat crowd learned long ago that you need as much thrust as possible and the biggest, baddest deep cycle batteries you can fit into the boat, if you wanna run and gun all day with the electric. The same idea applies if someone is using an electric for trolling in a small boat or pontoon. Add in some wind, and the need for power increases even more.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let us know what you come up with for an upgrade, and how it works for you.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll do that. I only had a couple of minutes to test out the motor before my wife comandeered my toon. After I buy her a toon this week, I'll work on upgrading mine.
[signature]
[cool]YOUR WIFE "COMMANDEERED" YOUR CRAFT? I don't know how to respond to that. Sounds like a job for a marriage counselor to me.

Seriously, if that is the worst thing to ever happen to you, in a fishing mode, then you don't have any real problems. My wife (TubeBabe) has been floatin and fishin with me for over 20 years. Turns out to be simple to get the okay on new purchases. All I have to do is convince her that SHE needs something, and I got it too.

Hope you are able to get BOTH craft properly outfitted and that you enjoy many productive hours on the water.
[signature]
Yeah, never mess with a redhead unless you have a headstart, and no intentions of returning.
[signature]
Being married to a redhead myself I can vouch for that. I wouldn't mind her taking over my stuff if I could just get her out fishing. Although she did catch a few fish recently and didn't hate it like she thought she would so maybe there is still hope.

FM
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Ah yes, the temperament of redheaded females is legendary. But, as with most spouses...can't live with them, and can't live with them. (not a mistake)[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Had a friend once whose wife was a "decided redhead". Used to be blonde, until she decided to become a redhead.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey fishmagnet, she gets more ticked off at me if I go fishing without her.

Tubedude, why can't they decide to NOT be temperamental?
[signature]
[cool][blue]It's a gender thang. You know, like guys don't stop and ask directions. And women are always asking questions to which there is no good answer. Some of those questions you just can't get the right answer. Like "Do these pants make my butt look too big?"[/blue]

[#0000ff]Go with it. A man does not know the meaning of true happiness until he is married. But, by then it is too late.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Oh, i've become pretty adept at regurgitating the right answers. You learn after a little while what works and what doesn't. Kind of like fishing. [cool]

I've been giving my 18 year old son pointers on how to talk to his girlfriend, and he says he's had good results. Keeps him out of trouble, mostly.
[signature]
Thats right,, and she'll never let you forget it! [laugh]
[signature]
Oh, I forget from time to time, but a sharp blow to my head brings me back in line.
[signature]