Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAS POWERED MOTOR ON A TUBE....?
RETORICAL QUESTION HERE. KINDA, I HAVE THIS SETUP..AND WAS WONDERING.

IF ONE PERSON HAD SAY A SETUP ON THEIR TUBE, RATED FOR 110 POUNDS, THAT WOULD HOLD A BATTERY AND A LECTRIC MOTOR WEIGHING IN AT TOTAL LIKE 75 POUNDS...AND HAD A SMALL OUTBOARD THAT WEIGHED SAY....65 POUNDS. DO YOU THINK THAT THEORETICALLY THAT PERSON COULD PUT THE GAS POWERED MOTOR ON THE LITTLE TUBE BEHIND THE SEAT TUBE AND TROLL? THE MOTOR HAS A GAS TANK ON IT FOR 2 GALLONS...IS IT ANY SAFER, OR MORE DANGER INVOLVED REALLY THAN HAVEING A LECTRIC MOTOR WITH A BATTERY ON BOARD? DO YOU THINK THERE WOULD BE ANY PROS/CONS IF SO WHAT? AND DO YOU THINK IT WOULD GET ATTENTION OF ANY "FISH COPS" AROUND? TO WHAT EFFECT DO THINK THEY WOULD REACT, GOOD OR BAD?

LATERS,
[signature]
WooHoo, that's the next step get me a motor on my tube, lol. I recall a similiar discusion on this forum sometime last summer. Or maybe it was on the Utah board? Can't remember, but that post had all the info you would need including links to the "regulations" and more discussion of such. Hopefully someone can provide a link to that post for you.
[signature]
Theoretically you would probably be able to adapt something like that. As I do recall, once you put a motor on any watercraft you will be required to register it. That could be the only drawback.

Another point to consider is if your tube can handle the extra weight concentrated in a small area. I would suggest some light tests before proceeding.

What kind of tube do you have?? That can make a difference as to the feasability of the adaptation.
[signature]
If I read your post right you are refering to the small black tube that holds your motor and straps to the back of your tube? The only problem I think you might have would be that the gas motor would probably have a higher center of gravity than the electric with the battery down in the box and might be more unstable.

FM
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]My opinion? BAD IDEA, BADFISH.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Seriously, the appeal and advantages of flotation fishing (tubes, 'toons, etc.) is the hands free and quiet approach...to reach places not fishable by boats or bankers. There is also the element of quiet and solitude...free of mechanical stuff...other than a confounded reel you can't get to work right.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have said it plenty of times. If you wanna fish under power, get a &%$@# boat. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Actually, there is a whole line of small one or two person inflatable "Zodiac" type craft that are very light but capable of handling both heavy water and a motor...electric and/or gas. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you wanna fish waters that are too big or fast moving to be practical and safe in a tube, then look at adding something with power to your flotilla. It is not a matter of one or the other. Other than space iimitations...or a spouse who is tight with the budget...there is no reason why somebody can't have a couple of tubes, a toon and a small motorized boat of some kind. After all, us diversified fisherfolks need lots of gear to allow us to fully pursue all of the opportunities and challenges out there. Right?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That being said, I am familiar with the "add-on" device you mention, and I see no reason why you could not use a gas motor rather than an electric. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hey, knock yourself out. Instead of the wimpy little donut they provide, replace it with a couple of big earthmover tubes and strap on a pair of 200 horse outboards. I'll bet they would get you up on plane pretty fast...if they didn't turn your craft INTO a plane and lift off as you roared across the water.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
GEEZE GUYS I WASNT TRYING TO INSULT YOU....I WAS JUST OWNDERING IF IT WAS FEASIBLE TO ATTACH MY 7.5 HORSE MOTOR TO TROLL WITH OTHER THEN HAVEING TO GO BACK TO SHORE AFTER 4 HOURS TO CHANGE BATTERIES ON MY LECTRIC MOTOR.

TD I AGREE WITH THE NOTION THAT IF YOU WANT TO GET POWERED GET A BOAT, I AM IN THE PROCESS OF THAT...HENCE THE MOTOR I PICKED UP. BUT UNTILL I FIND ONE I HAVE TO USE THE TUBE. I ALSO AGREE WITH THE QUIET SMOOTH APPROACH. I LOVE TO JUST TAKE MY TUBE TO DEER CREEK AND SLIP INTO THE PROVO RIVER UNDER THE CHARLESTON BRIDGE AND FLOAT THE RIVER BED, LETTING THE CURRENT CARRY MY OUT INTO THE FLATS...SOME OF MY BEST TROUT, BASS AND WALLEYE CHASING HAVE BEEN DONE IN THAT AREA. QUIETLY, NO MOTOR. BUT WHEN CONDITIONS CHANGE, AND I HAVE TO TROLL MY SHAD RAP 15 FEET UNDER, I LIKE TO DO SO, AND I DONT LIKE TO WASTE AN HOUR OR TWO TO HAVE GO BACK TO THE CAR AND CHANGE BATTERIES, SO ITS EITHER TRY OUT THE GAS POWERED MOTOR....ITS A CHAMPION CIRCA 1947.....OR THINK OF SOME WAY TO GET ONE OF THOSE SOLAR PANELS TO FIT ON MY MOTOR TUBE...WHICH IS A GREAT IDEA IN ITSELF, BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND ONE WITH ENOUGH OUT PUT TO BE ABLE TO CHARGE THE BATTERY FASTER THAN I AM TAKING OUT OF IT....IF YOU DRAW 7 AMPS, DO YOU THINK YOU COULD RUN ALL DAY ON A 10 AMP OUTPUT SOLAR PANEL...7 FOR THE MOTOR AND 3 TO "PUT IN" THE BATTERY.....WOULD THAT WORK YA THINK?

THE OTHER IDEA I HAD WAS TO SOMEHOW INCREASE THE FLOAT-ABILITY OF THE MOTOR TUBE AND ADD ROOM FOR THE SECOND BATTERY...MAYBE IN THE FORM OF A DOUBLE DECKER BAT. BOX....BUT THAT IS STILL JUST AN IDEA....A THOUGHT REALLY....OH WELL.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? AND DONT WORRY IF I DECIDE TO TRY OUT ANY OF THESE...I WILL TEST THEM RIGOROUSLY IN MY KIDS POOL FIRST FOR A DAY OR TWO TO SEE IF IT "WORKS" BEFORE I HIT ANY WATER WITH ME STRAPPED TO IT. I MAY BE CRAZY, BUT IM NOT STUPID. I JUST WANT FISH ON MY LINE....AND SOME IN MY SKILLET.

LATERS,
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Relax, Bro. No offense taken and none intended.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]We recognize a kindred spirit in the creativity department. Most of the folks that hang out on this wacky forum are a little to the left of radical. We are always looking for new ideas and we ain't bashful about sharing...or hearing what others are playing around with at the time.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Fishing (and float tubing) is a lot like marriage. It's a game of compromises. Hard to find everything you could possibly hope for in one simple package. There are advantages to some systems over others and vice versa. But, if you gear up for whatever you think you will enjoy the most, you can do "workarounds" if you decide to shift gears during the day. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As I often say, I love the old Dirty Harry quote "A man should know his limitations". That is never more true than a floatation fishing trip. If you ain't got the craft or the power to troll at high speed all day, then stick with what you can do. If you would rather be washing lures at fifteen feet and 3 knots, then stay out of the tube or toon and get in a boat.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Myself, I would love to be fishing the offshore reefs and flats in saltwater, for a variety of big, toothy and cantankerous species. But, when I am limited to a quick halfday trip to a local pond, with too many boats and PWC, I make do with what I got at hand.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I don't think the solar panels are the solution...if you are serious. An extra battery in a "sidecar", for auxiliary power to get you back to your starting point, is a better idea. It really is not difficult to rig a regular auto sized inner tube around a cooler or stout wooden box...and then to put a couple of batteries in there. You just need to be sure that you can secure or release them while in your tube, without having to make a trip to shore.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The only other option I can think of is to hijack one of the windsurfers on Deer Creek and hoist a sail. Just be sure you don't put up the sail when there is too much wind...going the wrong direction. You might have to call someone to get you unstuck from the face of the dam.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I don't have a lot to say about the motor on your tube because I actually like kicking with fins. It's one of the means of exercise I get that I actually enjoy.

What I was wondering is how you fish the Charleston bridge area. I am heading there this Friday or Saturday and have thought several times about putting my float tube in there. Have you ever had problems with your tube snagging anything when you float out? What do you catch the fish on and do you have any other good ideas to share for fishing that area? From what I understand that is considered part of the reservoir so it's not artificial fly only, is this correct?

Any advice you can give would be great. If you want to post it or PM me with details it would help a lot for this weekend. I am taking a beginner fishing and would like to show him a good time to get him excited about fishing.
[signature]
SUP LUVR, USUALLY ON THE BRIDGE YOU CAN SIT RIGHT ON THE BRIDGE IF THE WATER IS TOO HIGH AND FAST TO ACTUALLY PUT IN THERE. IF YOU SIT ON THE BRIDGE GET AS CLOSE TO CENTER AS YOU CAN RIGHT OVER THE WATER, USE A SLIP SINKER OR A ROCK ON A RUBBER BAND, AND MAKE THE BAIT FLOAT SOMEHOW, I LIKE TO USE A MARSHMALLOW OR YOU CAN RUN YOUR LINE THROUGH THE CENTER OF A FOAM EARPLUG, I FAVOR THE FLO. GREEN ONES, AND USE IT AS A FLOAT TO KEEP YOUR BAIT OFF BOTTOM. I USE WORMS AND POWERBAIT IN THIS FASHION RIGHT OFF BOTTOM WITH ABOUT 24 INCHES OF LEADER TO LET THE FLOAT KEEP IT OFF BOTTOM. BUT IF THE CURRENT IS TOO FAST YOU WILL BE ON BOTTOM ANYWAY...USE A LEADER OF LIGHTER TEST LINE SO YOU ONLY LOOSE THE HOOK IF IT SNAGGS UP, THEN YOU DONT HAVE TO CARRY 10 POUNDS OF SINKERS WITH YOU.

IF YOU ARE ABLE TO LAUNCH YOUR TUBE FROM THERE, YOU CAN DO SO FROM EITHER THE NORTH OR SOUTH SIDE OF THE BRIDGE, WHICH EVER LOOKS EASIER TO GET DOWN, THIS ACCESS IS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD FROM THE LAKE, YOU HAVE TO WALK ACROSS THE BRIDGE ON THE SIDEWALK TO GET TO THE NORTH ACCESS. THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THAN "GOAT TRAILS" REALLY.

WHEN YOU GET IN THE WATER, I TRY TO KICK AGAINST THE CURRENT TO KEEP ME MOVING SLOWLY AS POSSIBLE, SOMETIMES YOU DONT NEED TO, SOMETIMES IT IS A WORKOUT. TAKE ENERGY BARS WITH YOU....LOL. YOU MAY NEED EM. I HAVE USED EVERYTHING FROM HERE, FLY ROD, BAIT, LURES, SPINNERS...I TRY TO CAST SLIGHTLY UP STREAM FROM MY SELF AND TRY TO HIT THOSE HOLES ABOUT 5 FEET IN FRONT OF THE POOL HEAD, IF YOU HAVE A FLOATING RAPALA LET IT FLOAT DOWN FOR A MINUTE BEFORE YOU REEL, IT WILL LOOK "STUNNED" AND MAY ENTICE A FEW REACTIONS. WITH JIGS, I TRY TO NEVER REALLY LET THEM HIT BOTTOM, TICK IT SO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AT, BUT ITS PRETTY SNAGGY USUALLY SO "SWIM" THE JIGS WITH A PUMPING ACTION. IF YOU USE JUST CURLY TAILS ON A WIDE 2/0 HOOK THAT WORKS TOO, THE IDEA IS NOT TO GET SNAGGED UP AS IT IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO REDO ALL THE WORK TO FISH ON YOUR TUBE, SENKOS, PLASTICS, I TEND TO USE MORE FLOATING STUFF THAN SINKING OR SUSSPENDING LURES IN THIS AREA...IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE RIVER AT LOW WATER IN FALL YOU KNOW THERE ARE A TON OF ROCKS, STUMPS, AND I THINK STILL A FEW OLD CAR BODIES DOWN THERE. REALLY. CAR BODIES. I SWEAR.

IF YOU USE BAIT FROM THE TUBE, I LET IT DRIFT WEIGHTLESS, IT CAN ROLL AND TUMBLE IN THE CURRENT AND I HAVE STUCK SOME TROUT LIKE THIS BIGGEST WAS A 7 POUNDER. HUUUUGGE RAINBOW. THERE IS THE PART YOU WILL GET TO WHERE THERE IS A FORK IN THE RIVER, IF YOU ARE FACING IT STAY RIGHT, IT GOES OVER A GRAVEL BED AND HAS A DEEP CUT INTO THE BANK THAT MAKES THAT WHOLE RUN A HUUGE HOLE FULL OF FISH. I USUALLY STICK SOME GOOD ACTION ON THAT BEND, I THINK IT IS THE NORTH SIDE OF THE SPLIT. MOST OF THE WATER FLOWS THERE IT SHOULDNT BE TOO MUCH OF A FIGHT TO GET OVER IN IT, BUT STAY TO THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE RUN AND CAST INTO THE POOL SO YOU DONT SPOOK IT OUT. YOU WILL FIND SMALLIES, WALLEYES, AND TROUT IN HERE, GOOD LUCK. I LIKE TO USE SIZE 7 RAPALAS, SHAD RAPS, ORIGINALS, AND DT SERIES, I CAN RUN THOSE DOWN AND STICK EM IN THE MUD AND LET EM POP BACK UP MAKES SOME OF THOSE FISH GO NUTS....AGAIN, WATCH FOR THE SNAGGS. FROM THERE YOU PRETTY MUCH FLOW OUT INTO THE FLATS AREA OF THE LAKE, TROLL AROUND, I LIKE TO DRAG CRAWLERS ON A VERY LIGHTLY WEIGHTED LINE, LIKE 1/16 OUNCE PINCH SINKER. JUST ENOUGH TO KEEP IT NEAR BOTTOM. YOU CAN CAST LURES AND SPINNERS BUT THE FISH HERE ARE PRETY MUCH IN THE OPEN, YOU WILL CATCH MOSTLY TROUT DURING THE DAY, SOME BASS AS YOU GET OVER SOME CABBAGE BEDS, AND WALLEYE IN THE EVENNING/NIGHT AS THEY CRUISE FOR FOOD. IF THE WIND IS BLOWING HEAD TO THE MUD LINES, YOU WILL FIND BASS AND MAYBE A FEW WALLEYE. I HAVENT CAUGHT ONE YET, BUT I HAVE KILLED BASS AND TROUT EVEN PERCH THERE. IT IS A FUN LAKE, IT DOES GET BUSY WITH BOAT TRAFFIC THOUGH, I LIKE THE "RIVER RUN" CAUSE ITS MOSTLY TOO SHALLOW FOR THE BOATS TO GO UP THAT FAR OVER THE FLATS.

HOPE I HELPED SOME, I WILL PM THIS TO YOU AS WELL. GOOD LUCK!!

LATERS,
[signature]
Great info! Thanks for being so willing to share. so are you having to kick back upriver to get to your car? It's times like that it would be cool to have two vehicles. Leave one at the takeout and another at the put-in.

good luck on your next trip!
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]Fishing (and float tubing) is a lot like marriage. [/size][/#0000ff]

[size 1]So TD, I'm wondering if float tubing is like marriage, what are the "upgrades" or "tinkering" a fellow can plan on making?[shocked] [/size]

[size 1]Sorry, just had to ask. Good thing my wife isn't here or she might think she needs to "tinker" with me. Worse yet, she might install her "husband finder" again and go trolling[Tongue].[/size]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Ah yes...awful wedded bliss. Holy wedded macaroni. Didn't know the meaning of true happiness until I was married...but then it was too late. When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me. Whats hers is hers and what's mine is hers.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]BA DUM DUM![/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let's not get started on comparing marriage and fishing...or float tubing. Bad idea on my part. All those old jokes about there being more fish in the ocean...as long as you don't let your bait get stale.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Then there's the one about the guy whose wife gave him an ultimatum...choose either her, of fishing. He claims he missed her...until the first fishing trip after she left.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I guess I have a pretty good thing going. Been married to TubeBabe for 25 years in June. Been fishing and float tube fishing with her since before that. Maybe one led to the other. Didn't hurt.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]These days when I ask if she would like go tubin' her answer is "Do you have the batteries charged for the sonar?" or..."If you're waiting for me, you're wasting good fishing time." I gotta admit that there have been more than a few times that the fishing has been more her idea than mine...when I would ralther stay home and mow the lawn or something. YEAH, RIGHT.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[laugh]LOL! I couldn't resist. I can't complain too much, she wont let me. Bah dum bump.

I'm glad you and TubeBabe found each other. Truly a match made in fishing heaven.

later!
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2]Hi there BADFISH, If you really want a motorized tube here is your answer. Just type in Google Motorized Float Tube which will take you to it's site.[/size][/#800000]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3684;]
[signature]
WHEN I DO THAT I USUALLY TRY TO GET THE WIFE TO DRIVE THE JEEP OVER AND DROP ME OFF THEN SHE GOES DOWN THE DAY USE AREA THAT IS ADJACENT TO THE BRIDGE, JUST SOUTH OF IT I THINK, AND SHE HANGS OUT ON THE BEACH WITH A BUDDY OR TWO, MY DOGS AND KID, AND I FISH THE HECK OUT OF THE RIVER AND MOUTH AREA. IF I AM ALONE, I PARK IN THE LOT THERE WHERE THE BRIDGE IS, AND THERE IS UALLY ENOUGH SLACK WATER THAT GETTING BACK UP STREAM ISNT TOO BAD AND YOU CAN WADE BACK IF THE WIND IS TOO BAD, BUT THE WIND NEVER HAD BEEN TOO BAD EVEN WHEN I CAN SEE WHITE CAPS ON THE LAKE, THAT AREA IS "SHELTERED" SOMWHAT AND I DONT EVER RECALL NOT BEING ABLE TO KICK BACK UP STREAM, ESPECIALLY IF THE RIVER IS OVER RUNNING THE FLATS AREA OF BRUSH AND SUCH DIRECTLY SOUTH OF THE RIVER, THAT AREA ALMOST BECOMES A HUGE EDDY AND YOU CAN ALMOST RIDE BACK AND MAKE A FEW TRIPS DOWN THE CURRENT EDGE, YOU JUST HAVE TO GET THE FEEL AND LEARN HOW TO READ THE WATER WHEN THAT OCCURS, IT TOOK ME A FEW YEARS TO FIGURE THAT OUT...AND ACTUALLY I FIGURED IT OUT WHEN I SAW AN "OLD TIMER" DOING IT, I JUST FOLLOWED HIS LEAD, WATCH OUT THOUGH THERE HAS ON OCCASION BEEN THE DUMMY ON THE WAVE RUNNER THAT THINKS IT WOULD BE FUN TO PUT, TEAR, FLY, ZIP UP THE RIVER AND HIT SOME OF THE LINES IN THE WATER INADVERTENTLY, THOSE GUYS USUALLY GET SOME SORT OF SIGNAL INVOLVING ONE FINGER AND A THUMB STICKING OUT TO SIGNAL THAT PEOPLE ARE FISHING IN THAT AREA AND TO GO AWAY UNLESS THEY WANT A RAPALA EAR-RING. LOL.
[signature]
DRYROD, THAT IS JUST ABOUT WHAT I HAVE NOW....IT LOOKS JSUT SLIGHTLY MODIFIED, SAME CONCEPT THOUGH. I DO HAVE A SMALL 22 FT POUND THRUST MINNKOTA I USE ON IT, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF I COULD/SHOULD TRY THE 7.5 ON IT, MAKE ME A "WATER HARLEY" WITHOUT DRIPPING OIL OF COURSE!! LOL...[laugh]

LATERS,
[signature]
[cool][#004000][size 2]Hey there BADFISH check with the tube master [TudeDude] he might have some extra rockets he will let you have real cheap![Wink][/size][/#004000]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Sorry, guys. My rockets were confiscated by the ranger patrol last week. They musta thought I was some kind of terrorist. They asked what I was doing and I said "I BIN FISHIN", That must have sounded too close to Bin Laden. My trial comes up in a couple of months.[/size][/blue]
[signature]
I DID TRY THE OLE ROCKET TRICK.....I BURNED MY WORMS AND MY LURES ON THAT ONE....

LATERS,
[signature]
[#808080]First thing is,a tube with a 7.5 hp gas motor on it ( just idling) will probably be able to pull a water skier if the tube is aerodynamic enough. I tried a 4 hp Merc on my kickboat a few years back and between having to stretch around the back to pull start it, and it was a pain, because it didn't start on the first pull every time. There was no neutral so you immediatly take off. At an idle it was way too fast. To shut it off you had to pull the safety cable, then turn around and put it back in. If you have the tiller towards your head, guess what direction your going? In a tube, that would be tough to manuever. Stick with an electric motor, get an extra battery if you don't have one. Better yet, get a kickboat. You can use oars if the battery runs down [laugh][/#808080]
[signature]