Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANCHORS FOR THE TUBE...
I AM THINKING OF GETTING AN ANCHOR FOR MY TUBE, THE LAST TIME I WAS BLOWN FIVE MILES AWAY FROM MY CAR IN THE WIND MADE THE IDEA DOABLE TO ME, I FISH MOSTLY LAKES AS THE RIVERS IN UTAH ARENT BIG ENOUGH TO REALLY "TOOB" SO WHAT KIND OF ANCHOR DO I NEED FOR A GOOD ALL AROUND, I FISH DEER CREEK, FLAMING GORGE, AND A BUNCH OF SMALL LAKES. HOW HEAVY DO I NEED TO HAVE AS WELL? THANKS,

LATERS,
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Mr. Bad, if you spend a little time and cruise back through some of the past pages, we have had some discussion on anchors before. But, just to give a synopsis, and to answer your questions directly, here goes.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]First, if you are anchoring on mud, you should have a pointed end "fluke" anchor. A mushroom won't hold if the wind kicks up. If you are over rough rock, you need to be careful, whatever kind of anchor you use. Once an anchor decides it likes the rocks it is in, you are either stuck there forever, or you have to sacrifice your anchor and rope.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once again you have to consider how much space and extra weight capacity you have on your craft. A heavy anchor and a lot of rope can fill up a whole pocket and make you lopsided weightwise. Some craft have storage areas behind the seat where you can carry an anchor out of the way.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Fishing is often good in a breeze...for some species. But, kicking to maintain position can wear you out. An anchor will allow you to position yourself upwind of your honey hole and relax while you cast downwind into the right spot.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]What size anchor? A five to 7 pounder will handle most tubes...unless the wind gets too strong. If your anchor won't hold, you might wanna rethink being out there anyway.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you don't want to spend a lot of money for an anchor, take a page out of the book of Northwest steelhead driftboaters. They make a dragging anchor out of an old bag or tied off piece of inner tube. They tie one end, fill it with rocks and then tie off the other end. It holds them firm in slower water, but allows a bit of slipping and sliding in heavy wind or water. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]A sliding anchor can be great when working down a shoreline for bass. It lets you move slowly along, working each spot over well, without having to kick hard. All you can hope is that when it is time to go back that the wind will reverse direction and push you back the other way. Yeah right. Dream on. That's why you need that 200 horse Merc engine.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Badfish I've used a 4 lb. plastic dumbbell as an anchor before. It worked alright. I also made one once by filling a cool whip tub with cement, then breaking off the plasic when it dried. While it was still wet I inserted a big eye bolt into it. It also worked ok.

Now, however, I prefer not to carry one. It's just too heavy and takes up too much room. I just try to stay close to shore if there's a breeze, and if it looks like it might get worse better to just get off the water anyway.
[signature]
Why waste money on a anchor? We keep a rope in the tube or toon just for windy days. If the wind starts to pick up hit the shoreline and get a 5-10 pound rock and your set. Plus if your fishing buddy forgets his rope or anchor tie him off to you and enjoy a good day of fishing.
[signature]
ahha, i knew someone stole my idea, lol. no not really, it is that me and my friend were out float tubing and we got caught in a wind storm, so we tired off to a tree that was holding perch, and he tied off to me, and we filled a fish bucket in no time, and when our ride came back tro get us, we just paddled in together, and that was that. it is a good idea, the rock, that way if you do carry your tube any distance you dont have to carry the weight of a anchor
[signature]
I think I'll go with a doubled up heavy cloth sack that can be fulled with sand or rocks then dumped when I finish. I've seem them on the web called "soft anchors" and they look like a snap to make.

~~~Lets see,, I'll might need a couple hundred feet of anchor rope for the Gorge in two weeks. Damn, I hope the tube will float me and all that 2" rope!!~~[Wink]
[signature]
I LIKE THE ROPE A ROCK IDEA...I THINK ILL TRY THAT WITH ABOUT 250 FEET OF HI VIS ROPE....MAYBE A FLOAT OR TWO. JUST TO BE SAFE..AND I COULD TIE OFF A ROCK AND DUNK IT TOO.....KEWL THANKS ALL!!!

LATERS,
[signature]

Hey there BADFISH,

Here's a couple of illustrations I'm working on and might be a visual inspiration to make improvements!

Of course, you'll need to adjust the size of whatever to match your craft and expected and unexpected conditons.

Go cheap first.... learn and buy good stuff if you need to!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#004000][size 2]You guys are working too hard. A bag of rocks [stones] is all you need. My bag weighs 10lb. When I pull up for the day the rocks go back to mother nature. Worked okay for me.[/size][/#004000]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3860;]
[signature]