Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mounting my Cuda 168
Finally got it done just need to mount the finder on the block of wood. After many hours of pondering I finally came up with the "setup" that works for me. It keeps the finder tight to my tube and very secure. No movement what so ever.

I started with a block of wood 2" thick and cut to about 5x5". Stapeled a length of strap material to the underside. It is mounted over a velcro strap so this way I can use the strap to help secure the mount. Nailed on 2 more smaller strips about an 1x1" to compensate for the curvature of the "pontoon". Then stapled on 2 strips of self adhesive weather stripping to the "legs" to cushion the mount and reduce slippage. Screwed in 2 size 10 screw eyes to attach bungee cords to and mounted the sucker. I found that it had a tendency to fall forward so I remedied that by screwing in 2 small screw eyes on the rear of the mount and run the bungee cords across and over them from D ring to D ring. This holds the rear down perfectly.

On the bungee cord hooks I added shrink tube to eliminate any possibility of the sharp edges digging in to the craft. Estimated cost of this project? About $1.00 a whole BUCK in materials. The bungee cords are the short was that come in a package of 10 for a dollar at Wallmart the same for the screw eyes. The weather striping was on clearance also at Walmart, $2.00 for a 17' roll. The wood was some scrap I had lying around and the nails & staples not even worth mentioning, LOL

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3679;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3680;]

Using the bungee cords this way it's easy to see how firmly they hold the rear of the mount in place.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3681;]
The finished product, minus the Finder and paint Job [cool] That baby ain't going no where!!! Tight as a...... OOPS [blush]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3678;]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Al, good thinking. You have effectively made use of the D rings so strategically placed on your particulat craft. I agree. Doesn't look like that puppy is going to move at all.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Next, let's see how the transducer mount comes out. Maybe you can scratch your head a little and come up with something unique there as well. Once you start playing around, and get a feel for what you have to work with, it is suprising all of the options that are available. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have gone through a bunch of different craft over the years. Each one has its own peculiar setup and D ring placement, so that I have to reconfigure whatever it is I have been used to using. Keeps me on my toes and off the streets.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]NEXT...we wanna see you holding some giant fish for the camera. Good luck on finishing up the install.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Smile] Gonna get to the rest of the project tomorrow if I have time. As far as pics of me holding up the big ones, probably won't happen since I almost always fish alone. I do get pictures of them lying on the bank though. Heres one that I caught at I-80 pond sometime last week. That puppy was about 19" and chubby for his age [shocked]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3683;]
[signature]