Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I know a lot of Utah fishermen have fished Mantua. Big bluegill, largemouth bass, and trout. 2 1/2 years ago, Kamloops trout were planted in there to make for some great fishing. Also it seems some bucket biologists had decided to dump perch in there and they're taking hold. I don't think the LMB or trout are going to make it now because of the size of the lake, and the way the perch proliferate. I know there are perch fans out there, but any thoughts on this and what should be or can be done?
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Mantua has always been a "football". It gets kicked first one way and then another. DWR keeps trying to get it balanced and then the bucket bozos give them some extra help.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The lake has been managed for trout, but it is a good lake for bass and bluegills too. The trout do not do well in the warm waters of summer. Still, trout and bass can live together without impacting each other too greatly.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once perch are introduced into the equation, however, all bets are off. Perch compete with trout on every level...and bass too. They eat the food that the fry of other species need to reach independence. And they feed heavily on the eggs and young of those other fishies too.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am one of those who like to catch big perch, but only from waters established for them and where they are part of the regular ecosystem. It is a shame when they are illegally dumped into a water where they so effectively alter the balance.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]What can be done about it? Rotenone. Will it be done? Not likely, in the near future. Only when fisheries biologists observe that all of the bass, bluegill and trout have been replaced by undersized and stunted perch will there be any corrective measures. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Then, once the lake is killed off (again) it will be restocked and the cycle will start over. In another ten years the perch will be back and there you go again.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]What is the solution? Don't ask me. I'm just a frustrated fisherman too.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I know this isn't the best solution but you might try fishing for Perch. They are tasty and you can feel like you're doing some good every time you catch and keep one. I like Perch but I think it's ridiculous that people are irresponsible enough to do something like illeaglly stocking them.

FM
[signature]
[#800080][size 2]Like TD said, The warm summers put a big hurt on the Kamaloops and the regular troutski's. Last year was espeically hard on the trout at Mantua. The Kamaloops should have been put somewhere else like a high elevation resivoir. The game warden and the biologist are very pissed about the perch situation(like bad attitude pissed). If you want more information, talk to Predator on the Utah board. He lives nearby and has a close repoire with those guys.[/size][/#800080]
[signature]