Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you should hunt Does.
Thinking back over my early years of becoming a hunter, I recall the words of wisdom and advice that have left a lasting impression on my endless pursuit of wild game. There have been safety concerns that my dad preached into me, as well the respect for game I've learned from watching friends and fellow-hunters. There is one thing however; that has left a negative impression on me since one of my earliest triumphs with deer.
I was just several years into my teens when I ran into a shaggy looking fellow in the woods. I had just claimed the life of an unsuspecting doe. With only a few deer under my belt at that time, I proudly dragged my prize down the trail. Upon approaching the army fatigue-clad hunter, I paused to catch my breath and share of the hunt.

However, instead of the usual high-five's and slaps on the back that come with a successful deer story, I was informed of how wrong I was to kill a doe.

"You got a lot of guts killin' that doe, says the redneck. Where I come from, they'd whoop your #x@ for killing a doe."

Needless to say, I was crushed, deflated, and ticked. The redhead must have come out in me however, as I informed him that the doe I was dragging would taste a whole heck of a lot better than what he was dragging out (nothing).

Many years have passed since that brush with one of hunting's "finest" outdoorsman. Yet the memory still lingers of the mindset that some have concerning the harvest of does.

There seems to be a myth that looms about hunting camps everywhere that "real men" don't kill anything other than bucks. Fortunately there is a new generation of hunters that are preaching proper game management, including the harvest of does. Still there are many dads and grandfathers passing on to their kids the notion that true sportsmen don't kill does.

There are ample reasons for the harvest of does, but let's take a look at the important stuff first. Food. Decide whether you?re a meat hunter, or a rack hunter. The meat from a doe tends to make for better table fair than that of a buck, and likely to be more available than buck meat as well.

We've all heard it said before. "You can't eat horns."
That's kind of a no-brainer, but, there are dad's out there today making their kids pass up on the readily available does, in order to kill a buck. That's great if they are trophy hunting, but what about the guy who passes up does all morning, just to shoot a finger-length spike buck, for no other reason than to say, "I killed a buck." Why not let that spike grow into a majestic antlered buck to harvest in the years ahead?
Now, obviously there are those seasons that are buck-only hunts and the harvest of does is not an option. But every year, more and more doe tags and non-quota permits are becoming available to hunters looking to fill the freezer.

So when is a good time to harvest does?
Alan Peterson, Big Game biologist, says that it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. "If it's population control, then anytime is a good time to kill does," says Peterson.

On the other hand, Peterson says that hunters seeking Quality Deer Management (QDM) will want to focus on harvesting does prior to the rut. "The idea is to narrow the number of does prior to the rut, enabling more does to be bred during the rut and in their first estrous cycle. Earlier breeding means earlier fawn production, which brings about a stronger herd," says Peterson.

The effects of not harvesting enough does can be detrimental to habitat, humans, and other deer. If we neglect the task of harvesting does, we will be over our head in deer. Now that may sound great, but to the farmer it means serious crop damage. To other deer it means loss of habitat, food, and diseases spread from herd to herd. In areas where deer populations have skyrocketed we see the number of deer/car collisions rise as well.

One email that has made its way around to a number of you hunters is of a buck that jumped off a bridge overpass onto the expressway below. The deer landed on top of an SUV crushing the roof and shattering the windshield, before it came to rest in the floorboard of the terrified driver.

The bottom line is that as hunters we are responsible for keeping nature in check. God gave us dominion over the animals, to kill and eat. Starvation and car collisions are much harsher than the way God intended. And God said, "let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the fowl of the air, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Gen. 1:26
[signature]
[Smile] GREAT ARTICLE DAN !!! YOU CAN ALSO BLAME THE MEDIA FOR THE '' IF YOU DON'T SHOOT A BUCK , YOUR NOT A HUNTER '' PEOPLE SHOULD REALIZE THAT A DOE IS JUST AS MUCH OF A TROPHY AS A BUCK IS !!! I CONCIDER MYSELF A TROPHY HUNTER , BUT I WON'T SHOOT A BUCK OR UNLESS IT GOES ON THE WALL !! I'LL SHOOT DOES INSTEAD OF A SMALLER BUCK , JUST AS YOU STATED , DOES ARE BETTER EATING AND YOU CAN'T EAT HORNS !! HERE WHERE I LIVE , YOU CAN SHOOT 5 DEER , BUT ONLY 1 CAN BE A BUCK , SO I THINK IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SHUT DOWN BUCK SEASON FOR 2 YRS AND GET THE BALANCE BACK IN THE HERD AND ALSO PRODUCE BIGGER BUCKS !!

[signature]
Thanks for the compliment, you have written a very good article yourself. If we need to harvest does, for the good of the herd, then we need to do it.
[signature]
[size 2][size 1]Well said Daniel![/size]

[size 1]I try for a Doe tag every year now here in California although they are far and few between. My philosophy is Venison first, trophy second. As much as I love the prospect of harvesting a trophy buck I love the prospect of some tasty venison even more. The other thing to consider is unless you pull an X or another really sweet zone you probably won't be harvesting a Trophy buck in California, especially Southern California.[/size]

[size 1]When I used to hunt out of state more, I would always try for the first harvestable buck here in California (fill the freezer) and try for a trophy out of state. Some years I came up empty in California because after passing up the really young bucks and the does in Southern California you are not left with a strong possibility of harvesting a dear at all. As I hunted more I started to find myself saying "if i would have had a doe tag" I would have filled the freezer. Hmmm. [/size]

[size 1]An important thing to remember is that most Departments of Fish and Game agencies are typically pretty on top of things. If doe tags are available in your area. There is usually a reason why. The area needs some does harvested. I've never heard of a Department of Fish and Game issuing doe tags to be nice. This is why in over 16 years of hunting (on and off when the kids were younger) I have never been able to get a California doe tag.[/size]

[size 1]Thanks again for the great article, I definitely agree![/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
In my state, anything under 3" antler is considered a doe. I hunt for meat, and take what I can get, or I might go without. QDM, in my opinion, if wanted, should be practiced on private property. States should not be putting up antler restrictions. Alot of people don't care about the size of a deers rack. If you want to trophy hunt, I don't have a problem with that. But, they shouldn't impose antler restrictions on people who don't care diddly about what size rack a deer has on it. Keep the herd numbers in check. That's what hunting is for. Everyone enjoys hunting in different ways. To each their own, as long as it's legal.
[signature]
yessa, i,d shoot a good size doe, to shootin an little buck, here in vermont the choice shortly of whether to shoot the spikes, isnt gonna be a choice soon. they are makin it so,s ya can,t shoot spikes.law. that dont hurt my feelin none. too many do shoot em and i have always passed em up to let em grow. if i cant git a good size buck then i dont need one. i love huntin, love nature, watchin them grow from year to year, goin out and gittin my blackberries, takin the hounds and seein em, learnin where they,re travelin and doin, and what there eatin on different times of year, and the little ones are so cute to watch em play in the fields, oh i see where one doe had 3 last year, ahah that was cool, ya dont see that too often. but s fer as shootin them little bucks, i guess, i,m not htat bad off yet so,s i need to shoot a spike. i dont bow hunt, and dont muzzle yet, but hopin to git me one of the youth rossi muzzleloader this year with the 243 and 20 gauge, barrels so,s i can go. and i believe then if i ahve the chance to git a good size doe, i will. the boys aint likin it they cant shoot the little ones anymore, tough ----- thats why we haven.t had as many big bucks taken the last few years. they,ve shot most all off. and the little ones too, and it ticks me off. when they wont allow anythi to grow. but we been gittin more here too other than just our boys, in this one area, it,s downcountries comin up, too, and i,m tryin not to run em down, but they seem to just shoot anytin that moves, almost ME! and that ticks me right off. when i,m up above my own house and down below. thee too lazy to really git out and hunt and shoot from there truck winders. from the road too. this is where the game warden need to come in. we need more of em. es[pecially certain area,s not only that the fish and game are finally startin to git involved and can do somethin. up till now, the congressmen had control over the fish and game. finally there allowin them to have control and to be able to do somethin.finally the congressmen have smartened up enough to see they shouldnt have control of fish and game cause they know nothin about biologists and the study of nature and animals. now that we have few in certain areas, now we pay fer it. with our deer herds. it werent nothin years ago to go up thru the gulf, up in barre vt. and see a hundred deer out in the farmers fields grazin and not scat of ya. now i go and i,m lucky if we see 15. 20. out there. stinks. that aint includidn the --- that like to pouch the deer git hit, or idiots that like to shoot and find out later they got a doe or little buck and leave it that come up. that ticks me right off. and i say to them they bst be watchin there step when i ,m around. i,m a good hunter and mister man dont tick me off. haha at leasxt here we got good sportmen. but i dont begrudge someone if i know thats hurtin to feed his family when they got nothin, to take what they need. around here i know most all the boys.but i still dont care fer it when they would take the spikes, but what can i do about that. but it,s changin, maybe fer the good. later i run it long enough again i guess. ahha later[Smile]
[signature]