Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to float tubing
What float tube would be good for a 215lb 5'6" guy? I have never floated before, except when greenpeace tryed to get me back in the water because they thought I was beached, and am willing to try it this summer. Thanks
[signature]
I'd get something like the Super Fat Cat. I think that's the one Tube Dude has. The more flotation the better. Stay away from the little donut tubes. Float tubing is great fun. It's like sitting in your recliner at home except you can catch fish while you're doing it! It also puts you up close and personal with the fish and their element. I like boats for their ability to move you around the lake faster but I much prefer fishing from a tube.

FM
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Aha. Another victim. Oops, I mean member of the float tubing persuasion. Welcome to our little site here, Bro. Hope we can whet your appetite and get you properly outfitted.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I suspect that you have been "kicking tires" a little already, and that maybe you have looked at a couple of models. The problem these days...and it is a good problem...is that there is so much to choose from.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Most of the name manufacturers put out a good product, and most have good warranties. The keys are what kind of fishing do you want to do, what kind of water will you be fishing most, and how portable do you want your system. After that, it is a matter or budget, style, color and all those other things. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I will be attaching the piece I put together some time ago on the considerations of choosing a craft. There are some good guidelines in there. Once you know what the options are, come on back and we can help you with reviews of different craft that are in the range of what you want and can fit into the budget.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You don't have to pay top dollar to get a good system. As has been mentioned, I am jockeying the Outcast Super Fat Cat. It prices out at $369. For $200 less, you can get the Fish Cat 4, also by Outcast, that has many of the same features and the pointed bow design.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are still many round tubes sold, but I do not know why. The open ended designs of the Uboats and Vboats are so much more user friendly, especially when launching and beaching. Also, many of the newer models feature higher seating so that you sit with less of your lower body in the water. That makes for more efficient propulsion and less chilling in cold water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are quite a few websites on the Internet that feature different kinds of floatation craft. Enter "Float Tubes" in almost any search engine and there will be enough sites to keep you busy reading for a long time.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once you get closer to deciding what kind of craft you want, you will probably wonder about fitting it out with rod holders, sonar, etc. We got that covered too. Do your initial homework and come on back. The really good news is that many of the Utah tackle outlets have really good specials on quality craft from time to time. Find something you like and post it up here. We can get you a review in time to make a buy before it goes off special.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]