Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thinking of upgrading my craft
hey all i have a donut style float tube, and i was thinking about maby upgrading to a v style, any ideas about good ones? thanks for the help.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey there, young man, sounds like you are ready to graduate. Hope you got some good use out of the old donut and that you retire it with respect.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]After you have learned to fight the round boat, during the launching and beaching "ceremonies", you will really appreciate being able to simply step into the open end of a Vboat or Uboat. An open ended design is at its best when you are starting or ending a trip.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Another thing you will like, if you choose the right new craft, is having higher seating. In your round tube, you sit with water clear up to your waist. This gets you colder faster in chilly water, and reduces the efficiency of the thrust when you kick your fins. Sitting higher keeps you dryer, warmer and helps you move better with the same amount of kicking.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Look around for specials. You are a fly fisherman, and probably do not use the big bulky lure boxes favored by dedicated bassers. So, you can do well with the smaller pocket designs of something like the Kennebec or Togiak...by Trout Unlimited. I had Kennebecs for a couple of years. They are nice, but I think the pointed bow design of the Togiak would help you fight wind and waves better.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The Togiak can be found on special for around $125 sometimes...or less at a closeout or sports show. There are also offshore copies that are even less. Hustler698 (?) got one last year for under $100 and he seems to really like it. There is plenty of pocket space, but the pockets are divided into several chambers, to hold all the little boxes, extra spools and other goodies that fly flingers like.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have an Outcast Super Fat Cat. It was $369. I would never buy another one. I would probably buy one of the Fish Cat 4's, which is about the same design, but $200 cheaper.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you look around, you will find quite a few craft in the $100 to $150 range that will provide many years of good service, and keep you higher and drier. Come on back if you find something interesting and we can do a review for you.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
i do flyfish, and as so i do have a bunch of small fly boxes, but i also fish with big bulky lure boxes. which have provin to be interesting to be a hassle to get in and out of the pockets while in the water. i think i will check out trout unlimited for a vboat. thanks for the info.
hey TD have you ever heared of the company:creek company. they have a u-boat for $65. what do you think?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]I think the Creek Company made the original UBoat. They are a reputable manufacturer. Keep looking around. That price is below their regular list price. You should also post on the Utah Board. Some of the guys up there are changing around or getting into pontoons from other craft and might have a good deal for you. Maybe you can even try before you buy.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you have big lure boxes, the Outcast craft have the biggest pockets I have found. Their Fish Cat 4 is about $149 regular price. It is a pretty good buy, even though it is more than some of the less expensive ones. TubeN2 got one last year, as have a couple fo folks in Utah. Everybody I know who has them really likes them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good luck and keep posting up what you are looking at so we can help you in the search.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
i was looking at some of the trout unlimited ones, they do look good, but they may be a little higher than i have to pay(in fact right now i have no money at all) btu when i do get some money, i may have to pick one of the togiak ones up, they looked like the best to me, what do you think?
[signature]
Hey fishboy2, I would have like to get the Super Fat Cat after trying out TubeDudes. I is an awesome ride and I liked it better than the ride in my Uboat. I ended up buying a Fish Cat 4 right away and fell in love with it.

It has more poket room than most donuts and Uboats. You actually sit higher off of the water just like the Super Fat Cat. It basically has most of the same features and dimensions. It is a solid foam seat as opposed to the inflatable one. I really like it and enjoy it very much.

I am waiting for some of the winds to die down over at my stomping grounds before I get it wet again. Then, it will stay wet, if you know what I mean.

I believe someone else ordered one off the Net for a little less than what I paid for mine. So it looks like the Fish Cat 4 are becoming popular enough that the price is dropping. I'm sure that you would be satisfied with one of them.

Good luck in your search and come on back if you need any help or advice.
[signature]
[cool][#004000][size 2]Hi there TubeN2,[/size][/#004000]

[#004000][size 2]I had ordered my SFC from riverwire.com which is located in Oregon. No shipping or tax. I am sure that they carry other brands besides those made by Outcast. Love my SFC.[/size][/#004000]
[signature]
I fell in love with my Dads' SFC. I bought my FC4 on the way home from my trip to AZ. I got it wet the very next day.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey FB2, we all know how it is trying to come up with the money for something you just gotta have...like a newer and better tube. Hope some money falls out of the sky for you.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Looks like you are getting some more votes for the Fish Cat 4. I assure you that for the money it is about as good as you can get. You ride high and the poskets are big enough to hold amost any size lure boxes. Here's a pic.[/size][/#0000ff]

[url "http://store.riverwire.com/cgi-bin/wfp79588.storefront/407297590426641c27454200c148061f/Product/View/FC4&2DD"][Image: fishcat4deluxe.jpg][/url]

[blue][size 1]On the other hand, the Togiak is a good craft too. The design is simiar and Cabela's lists them both for about $139. Here is a pic of the Togiak for those not familiar with it. It has lots of pocket space, but the pockets are divided up into smaller compartments.[/size][/blue] [Image: i315392hz02.jpg] [blue][size 1]One of the other differences is that the Togiak has a stabilizer bar...to keep the two open ends from pulling together when you sit down to fish. The apron is attached to the stabilizer bar, and the apron on the Togiak is more fly fisherman friendly than the ones on the Outcast craft.[/size][/blue] [#0000ff][size 1]The seats on the Togiak are not quite as high as the FishCat 4. They are nylon sling in the Togiak and hard foam in the Fish Cat. [/size][/#0000ff] [#0000ff][size 1]Those are some of the main differences.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just so's ya know's,, I gave $109.00 for my FC4 at Sportsmans Wearhouse. Thier also selling the same exact V tube (made by Outcast but marked Sportsman) with a storage bag and pump for $129.00. You may want to check into it...
[signature]
Hey that's good to know. Thanks for the info. I think my next tube will probably be a Fish Cat 4 as well, unless something better comes out by then that catches my eye. By "then", I mean when I actually have the freedom to spend that much on one. Right now I for sure won't be getting one until at least I'm out of school. For now, my Stillwater donut style tube suits me fine. It's 7 years old, but in like new condition still.
[signature]
Hey fishboy,

Guess I should chime in since Tubedudet, oops wrong thread, Tube dude mentioned my name which is Hustler898 or Hustlerdude to you TD [Wink]. Anyway, he's right about me really liking my tube. I love it, rides high out of the water, very stable, comfortable and best of all got lots of velcro straps and d rings to attach goodies too. Got it at Garts Sports for about $70 (Outfitters Expedition) and has been used and abused lots since last year. All the seems are holding great yet the color is alittle faded in places thank's to the sun, especially the hunter orange (you can see that in the pic). The only thing I dislike about the tube is the color (only comes in 1 color) and somewhat the front stabalizer bar since I have to lift one side to slide in easily. Small sacrifice for excellent stability.

If u do check it out I believe they have the price tag at $120.00 or so. By no means pay this much but they always seem willing to make a deal.

P.S: One more feature about this tube I like is that it has a large "pocket" in the rear (can't see in the pic) that spans the width of the tube between the pontoons. It was Originally meant to hold an inflatable bladder to make the hunter orage more visible and provide additional back support. I have used it as a carry compartment for my fins, booties rod holders and other misc stuff (fits my transducer rig perfectly). Also, to hold a small tackle box but the best use I've gotten out of it was carrying a small ice chest out on the water with room to spare.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3890;]
[signature]