Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much weight
[unsure][#804000][size 2]Hey there TubeDude,[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2]After getting blown around to many times there comes a time when an anchor of some sort is a definate must! How much weight would be appropriate for our Fat Cats? Also where do you usually attach the anchor line - bow or stern? No problem with the anchor for I will make my own.[/size][/#804000]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3735;]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Mr. D., I have not yet tried installing an anchor system on my Chunky Kitty. The type of anchor and amount of weight would vary by the type of bottom and the amount of wind or current you were trying to deal with.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]A five pound mushroom anchor will hold you in little or no wind...on any bottom. It would probably take at least a ten pounder for moderate breezes. And, if the bottom is mud, rather than rock, you will need something that will dig in. The weight is not as important as the design. Use that same pointed anchor in rocks and you are likely to have to cut the rope and leave it behind.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If I were to mount an anchor on my SFC, I think I would make a big loop, of soft nylon rope, and run that through the opening in the bottom PVC where it joins at the bow (pointed stern). Then I would tie the actual anchor rope to the cushioning rope loop. That way, you would ride "at anchor" with the upward slanted and pointed bow taking most of the wind and waves.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the issues of anchoring that we have not discussed is the amount of rope to bring. Most boaters plan on having a length of rope several times longer than the depth of water in shich they will be anchoring. You need an angle...not straight up and down. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]This is especially true with a pointed "navy" anchor or "fluke" anchor. You drop it over the side, well upwind of your intended fishing spot, and then slide downwind...letting out rope...until you can get a good bite with the anchor. A piece of chain ahead of the anchor helps keep it laying flat until you pull it to make it dig in.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The design of the Outcast craft leaves a space behind the seat that will easily hold and anchor and rope. However, if you have to carry that extra weight and bulk any distance, you may opt to leave it in the car. On the other hand, if you can drive right up to your launching and beaching spot, there is no reason to go without an anchor if wind and/or currents are expected.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My final word is that, as I have said before, if the wind kicks up enough that you are having trouble holding...even with an anchor...you may wish to find some other form of enjoys that day.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Thanks TD. Will probably make my anchor using a mesh bag and some rocks. Feel that the rocks used in this fashion will conform to the contour the bottom's terrain. Just wasn't sure how much weight to use. After I am done the rocks will find a permanent home at the bottom.[Tongue][/size][/#804000]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]The "sock of rocks" is a good idea. Environmentally friendly, and all that. The only potential problem is that the mesh gets smashed and breaks. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The drift boaters in the Northwest often use a length of worn out inner tube. They tie one end on the rope and then tie the other end after adding rocks. It bounces silently along while slow drifting down through the rivers, and can take a lot more wear and tear than a nylon mesh bag.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As the old saying goes..."Whatever floats your boat". Or, in this case, whatever anchors your tube.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Hey Mr. TD, [/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2]I like that idea. Didn't consider the noise factor into my bag of tricks, I mean rocks. Mucho grass![/size][/#804000]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey DR, there's noise and then there's NOISE. The sound of rocks clicking against each other is not always bad. It can trigger curiousity in some fish.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]When I lived in Sacramento, I sometimes snorkeled in the slackwater basin below Nimbus Dam, on the American River. I liked to collect some of the big crawdads that lived under and around the rocky bottom there. To get them, I would roll over a large rock and grab any "bugs" I could before they squirted off over the bottom.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]On a couple of occasions, my disturbances attracted big old striped bass. They would hang back a ways and when a 'dad escaped in their direction they would swoop in and gulp it down. I don't know whether I had them trained or vice versa.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I actually used that technique as an attractant on one session. I had brought my pole spear (fish spear) and had a hankerin' for a big striper for the oven. Sure 'nuff, after a few rocks banging and rolling, a striper of about 15 pounds came cruising up to see if there were any groceries available. Sadly for him, I invited him home for dinner and he did not survive the experience.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I doubt that a dragging anchor or bag of rocks would make enough negative noise to adversely affect most fishing. But, there are times when the fish are just skittish enough that some unnatural sounds might finish turning them completely off.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Hey TD, [/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2]Bass always seemed to me to be a mocho type of fish whereas the trout is like my dog when the lightening and thunder hits. I mean she is gone like right now. [/size][/#804000]
[signature]
I was thinking along the lines of a 6 pack and for the rough days tie a twelve pack of cans and drop it to the bottom.

there are a few draw backs in this disign, it works well dwards the beginning of the trip but my ancor and my slef seem to get lighter. Not to mention the urgent needs of wanting to find a bush.

I was thinking along the lines of a pot pie shaped container filled with lead and an eye bolt going through the center. the way it should dig in to just about any terain.

of cource the old soup can filled with concrete and an eyebolt would be the cheapest and easyest to make.

I am still drewling over them fat cats.. they look like luxuray liners compaired to whet I am used to...
[signature]