Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My newest "Invention" -- what do you think?
[size 1]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3736;]
Over the weekend I decided to tie a modified wooly bugger and invent something that would look like a fleeing baitfish, golden shiner, carp minnow or something like that. I used black maribou for the tail, then a piece of gold mylar for the body. I used some calftail died red for the gills, and some greenish flashabou for the top "fin". Then just for fun I added some "bug eyes" on the front. I also wrapped some copper wire inside to help it sink a little faster. I coated the mylar with lacquer head cement to keep it from unravelling. So, in my opinion it looks a little crappy, but will it catch fish? What do ya think? I was thinking maybe using it to get some bass in slightly stained water.
So....?[/size]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Kevin, you know it doesn't matter what any human thinks. As long as some fishies approve, you don't need anybody else's opinion.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The combo of flash and color should do a good job of representing a minnow, or some other forage item. The next thing you need to do is experiment with presentation and retrieve. Once you work out how to get it to the fish and get their attention, you should be in business.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Mylar has been a good flashy addition for many years. I use smaller mylar piping on several "fry fly" patterns. However, I have started using more of the different colors of craft cord the past couple of years. The main thing is to present a good silhouette and enough flash to make the fly very visible and attractive.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You did not mention what size and type hook you tied it on. I would think a size 2 with a 3X long shank should be about right for most applications. I also think that both bass and walleyes should vote for it. Probably get some good trout too, when fished where there are some big meat-eaters.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let us know how the trial run goes.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat, thanks for the encouraging words. Although the pattern is rather crude, I think I could manage to pull a couple fish out of the water with it (hopefully).

Anyway, the hook size is what I usually use for wooly buggers for Strawberry. I actually don't remember for sure, but I believe it was a size 4 long shank.

When I actually get out to use it I'll be sure to give a full report.
[signature]
I too have been trying to make some productive Utah Lake fly patterns. It's tough because most of the time (from my understanding not experience), the fishies in Utah lake respond to vibration and scent first, then by sight. Traditional fly patterns are all about sight first.

I've been trying to make some "pistol pete" variations. For example, I tied up a crawdad pattern in all black with a good size propeller by the eye of the hook. That way, I can at least get vibration and a good profile. We'll see.

Also, if you use the pearl mylar tube, whatever color you have underneath the mylar will show through creating some interesting effects. Have TD send you a pic of his "fry flies."

Ultimately, as TD said, it's what the fishies vote on that makes the difference. Happy tying!!!
[signature]
Hey there Catman, that looks like a wooly bugger that's been to the oscar awards ceremony. That is quite an outfit but I can see some potential for it.

Please let us know what you catch with it and don't forget some nice pics as well.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey fellow fly flingers out there, one of the things on my 'TO DO" list is to sit down at the old vice and crank out some of my old faves for the Utah waters. That will include my Utah Lake patterns and also my "over and unders"...double barrelled deadly.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]It was really an advantage to have fished first with jigs and plastics, to get a handle on the sizes and colors most effective for the different species. I was then able to approximate the best combos with feathers and hair, and to know where and how to fish them. It really is tough to start with fibres and try to work your way backward.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The good news is that sometimes the flies turned out to be more effective than plastics, under many conditions. At the very least, it is more fun.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Keep prodding me and I will get those flies tied and pics made. Right now I am putting paints and prism tape on my new line of lead "casting spoons". I just got a new mold for these things and they are far better and more uniform than the hammered sinker jigs I have been making for over 20 years. My 'Perch Urchins" will now have some measure of standardization. Maybe the fish won't like them as well. I will be posting pics on those before the end of the week. THEN WE WILL DO SOME FLIES.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Your experience is the reason why I went to throwing more 'traditional' stuff at Utah Lake, e.g., plastics, spinners, etc. I figured if I could find what traditional stuff worked, I could then tye a couple of flies to resemble color, size, and action (where possible). I know that the black jig with a dark blue craw trailer has caught me some LMB. This came out of my vise a couple of days ago:
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3765;]
It's hard to see the prop in the front as I took a black magic marker to the blade. We'll see what happens . . .
[signature]
Hey Emuscud that looks awesome! That may just catch you a few walleyes while you're at it too!
[signature]
thanks for the feedback. It's a super easy fly to tie as well. It is just a pistol pete wolleybugger with long feather "claws."
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Nate, it looks like you worked to integrate all of the basic considerations of an effective pattern: SIZE, SHAPE, COLOR AND SILHOUETTE. Plus, with the Pete blade, you have also introduced vibration.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You are still seeking the magic formula for those non trout species. I assure you that there is really no single great truth you must learn, besides finding the fish and presenting the right offering.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In one of my favorite movies, Field Of Dreams, there is the quote "If you build it, they will come." In waters inhabited by bass, walleye, catfish and such, IF YOU SERVE IT, THEY WILL BITE. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That would seem to be an oversimplification, especially in light of all the fruitless excursions you have suffered at the fins of those devious critters in Utah Lake. But, once you refine your knowledge of the different areas of the lake, and the habits of the different target species, you can usually go forth with the positive expectation of some kind of action.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The really good news, when it comes to patterns, is that you could probably limit your box to one pattern and still catch fish the majority of the time. That would be a plain black wooly booger of large size. Then, you can add some sparkle (red or chartreuse), some contrasting color (white, chartreuse, red or purple) and you would be good to go.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Believe me, I have concocted some "creative" patterns for Utah Lake, and I still have the most success on the "basic black"...throughout the year. Now, there are many times when you will do better with something bright (chartreuse), light (white or yellow) or sparkly (gold or silver). Those times depend on water temp and clarity, and the currently most abundant forage species. Sometimes that might be young crappies or white bass (white or silver). Other times it might be newly spawned carplets (gold or yellow). Still other times, there might be a lot of newly hatched catfish (basic black) upon which the predators are keying. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]How will you know what they are eating? When you get to know the lake and its cycles, you can make better guesses, but it will almost always be a guess. If you land a fish, obviously you can do a CSI investigation of the stomach contents...or watch for them to spit up recently consumed food. Then you rig and fish accordingly.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Be of good cheer. Nobody gets it right every time or all the time. Anybody who claims to be able to catch fish every time out will lie about other things too.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, when I get to set down to crank out some patterns and pics, I plan to play with some new bunny fur adaptations too. I love the way those rabbit fur strips pulse and undulate with the slightest movement of the rod tip. I have been making some big saltwater jigs from bunny fur and I am sure it will be a winner for walleye...and other recalcitrants.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am a slow learner at times or just stubborn [shocked]. You told me about the buggers when we first started corresponding over a year ago. Do you think I've picked up some size 2 -- 6 streamer hooks, no. It is time to swallow the old pride and just tie up some buggers. It doesn't have the 'fun' factor of creating new patterns though. Searching for 'magic formulas' is a side effect of my profession I'm afraid. "Boil everything down to the basics and go from there."

Why is it so hard to admit that the most effective fisherfolk are 'fish-focused' rather than 'self-focused.' They simply will use what works, no matter how much advertising dollars have been spent marketing and creating and 'testing.'

Thanks for the reminder TD! Time to goto sportsmans and buy some hooks[Wink]!
[signature]