Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish finder and transducer mount complete :)
Heres a few pics of the finished product. I mounted the transducer on a "T" and used a plastic tube as a "wire holder" to keep them together and easily manageable. I downgraded to a 5 amp battery which is half the size of the 7.5 amp and a few pounds lighter.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3802;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3803;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3800;]
Had to cut the tubing open and tape it around the wires since I didn't have the foresight to run the wires through it.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3801;]
I found it easier to mount the transducer this way on a "T". I just hope water drag doesn't become an issue since thier is more surface area than just mounting directly to the PVC.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3804;]

Here is the "carrying case" that I was able to purchase at Fred Meyers for like 2 bucks Smile I Love Clearance sales!!! It fits the finder and mount, battery, Charger, tester (feul gauge) which I purchased at Sportsmans and miscilaneous fuses and connectors. It is a Cooler bag that was just perfect for this use! Just the right size and the insulation provides adequate cushioning. Not to mention it is stylish also Smile

Also picked up 5 or 6 bags of 4" powerworms, 2 bags of berkley grub and at 50 cents a piece. Got me a set of Sterns rain gear retail at $65.99 for $10.00 and some Vanish florocarbon line and leader real cheap. Line about 2 bucks and leader under a dollar. Still more there too but hurry the store closes on the 17th.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3805;]
[signature]
Wow, hustler great setup! I'm jealous! Looks good. Let us know how it works out on the first voyage. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Looks great! Now to test that baby out on the water.
[signature]
OH YEAH!!! Schemeing on when and where to go for the test run.
[signature]
Unfortunately, I've only been able to test out my 128 on Utah Lake. If you turn off the Fish ID, you will get some static for the first 2' of water on your screen (maybe you won't because you have the fancier model). When the water is only 2' deep under the transducer . . .you get the idea. It is a fun tool to have though! I can't wait to get it up on Jordanelle or Deer Creek and really put it through its paces.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Al, looking good. The only observation I might make is that you need to be sure to raise the transducer when coming back into shallow water. Also, be sure you have it tucked away before plopping your craft down on the rocks or in the parking lot. I learned the hard way by cracking the casing on the transducer. They want $52 for a new transducer.

Good pics. Thanks for posting them. I will add them to our archives.
[signature]
Does it matter at all which direction the front of the transducer is pointing?
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]NOPE.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Those "skimmer" transducers are hydrodynamically designed to point forward while a boat is moving, so as to reduce drag, bubbles, etc. The sonar signal shoots straight down, so as long as you have the transducer roughly at a 90 degree angle to the vertical shaft, your cone will be the same, regardless of which way the "front" is pointing.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I think you also had a concern about the transducer creating drag when you kicked to propel your craft. Shouldn't be much of a problem until you hit mach 3.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Another question frequently asked about transducers is "HOW DEEP DO THEY NEED TO BE IN THE WATER?" In smooth water, they will function as long as the bottom of the transducer is submerged. If you are "rockin and rollin" in waves or chop, you should keep it deeper, to avoid it coming out of the water. If it does, it will not damage the transducer but it will mess up the signal and the display on the screen.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Now go fishing and get a report back to us.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
what is that you have your lcd screen mounted to? I have been trying to figure a good way to mount mine?

jed
[signature]
Hey Jed,

It's just a block of wood with some hardware attached and a snazzy paint job. I went into detail about how I fabricated the mount in another thread. Below is a link to it or scroll down till you see the post "mounting my cuda 168"

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=120694;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=120694;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]

What tube do you have?
[signature]
Maybe something is wrong with mine but I have an eagle Trifinder 2 and I've found that it works much better when the "back" or blunt end is facing my line. Even in the same hole ice fishing I can't see my jig if the pointy end is facing my line but I can see what's going on in a hole 7' away just fine if the back is towards it. It might be because it has a different transducer but I don't know.

FM
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey FM, I think you are right about the difference in the transducer. The lower end Eagles, like the Fish Easy and the Cudas are one directional cones...straight down. They do not have the horsepower to identify jigs in real time either, so that is not an issue.[/size][/blue]
[signature]
That's too bad if what you say is true about not being able to see your jig. That little feature has revolutionized my lake fishing.

FM
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Real time display of your lure, and the fish that pay attention to it, can be a real asset...especially when ice fishing. It is also great if you do a lot of vertical jigging. However, only a small part of my fishing is vertical presentations. I do much more cast and retrieve, bottom bouncing , etc.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I find that the greatest benefit of my sonar is in helping me read bottom depth and structure. In many instances the fish tend to be holding in very definite depths and on specific types of bottom or structure.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My sonar helps me find areas where there are fish, but it is rare that I credit the sonar with showing me a fish that I can drop down and hook up. In fact, I often hook fish even when the display is not showing fish at all. That happens when the water is clear and the lure I am using has enough vibration, flash, scent or other attraction to bring fish in from outsied the cone area of the sonar.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]But, there are times when there are fish holding tight to a small and well defined area. It then becomes a great asset to be able to drop your offering straight down and follow both the path of the lure and the action (or not) of the fish. Those are the times I wish I DID have a more high powered and sensitive sonar.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I totally agree with what you said. I used to fish with a Fishing Buddy and all I used it for was depth and once in a while I'd see enough fish to tell me what depth they were at and that would dictate what I would use to try to get to the right depth while casting or trolling. I don't think I ever actually caught a fish after seeing it on the finder first. I didn't even think seeing your lure and the fish reacting to it was possible.

Maybe it's different with other kids of fish but with the trout I've been fishing for I will at least get a good look at my jig if not a hit probably 50-70% of the time and when the fish are deep it's fast and easy to get down to them compared to other methods and I know that I'm at the right depth. The down side is that you don't cover as much water or put your hook in front of as many fish as you would casting or trolling and you're limited in your presentation. But I guess for me it's fun because it's something new I'm experimenting with.

Thanks for your comments all wise and all knowing TubeGuru. The best thing is I don't have to fast for days and make a pilgrimage up a steep mountain to hear your nuggets of wisdom!

FM
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Ah, Grasshopper, that is your next level of learning.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Wait 'til you get to the part about rolling in hot coals and living on a diet of raw carp meat and smelly jelly. That will test the level of your sincerity.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]We have much fun here.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#004000][size 2]Hey there hustler, [/size][/#004000]

[#004000][size 2]As the master TubeDude said you have to be able to adjust the height of your transducer. These two pics of my transducer / rod holders shows how by using one pvc inside of another you can adjust the height of your TD as necessary.[/size][/#004000]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3851;]
[signature]
thats a great Idea! If I find the necessity I'll try it. The way it's mounted now all I need to do is tilt it up when entering shallow water. As far as trubulant water I won't be on it fishing in a tube for sure.

As far as transducer mount just copied TD's method which is simple and easy to attach/ detach as well as adjust or even scan off to the sides if the need arises. My thinking bieng if the resident "Guru" uses the method it must be a good one Smile
[signature]
Hey what fred meyer location did you shop at. I need to get some soft plastics for cheap !!
[signature]
Hey Buddy, been out to I-80 lately? The Fred Meyer at about 3500S 2 or 3 blocks West of Bangeter. They close in 3 days but I wouldn't expect to find much now. Probably been effectively picked over by now. I purchased all the soft baits I could find at about 55 cents a bag who wouldn't, lol.

They may put some more stuff on clearance, well thats what I'm hopeing for. I'm going to check it out today or tomorrow and see if they did. I'll let you know if you don't make it out there.
[signature]