Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a new toy
Went out and did my big spend for the year (unless I find a great deal on a boat, trailer, and motor). I picked up my first baitcasting setup. The rod is a 6'7" med/heavy Rapala rated up to 30 lbs and lures up to 3 ounches. The reel, well, I can't seem to remember the name of that thing for the life of me. But it works. Went out Thursday afternoon and practiced casting for about 45 minutes. Not too much trouble with backlashing.

If anybody has tips on casting or use of this, I am welcoming them. Better yet, if we can get together and you can show me some techniques, that'd be great! Just gotta find your way down this way.
[signature]
Hey Congrats on your NEW toy!! I've been using baitcasting reels for a couple years now. I had a hell of a time with backlash when I first started to use them. The best tip I can give you to fix backlash is to ' tie your lure on and engage the spool and let the lure fall into the water/ground. If it backlashes tighten the tention knob. You want it to hit the ground and it doesnt backlash at all or very little.' Someone gave me that tip and it finally solved all my backlash problems. Everything everyone else was saying did not make anysence to me or it didnt work.
It takes practice to get the whole casting thing down like putting your thumb on the reel at the end of the cast to feather your lure into the water. But eventually you will get the hang of it! It's like second nature to me now. I use low-profile baitcasting reels. What kind did you get?

Good luck and catch alot of fish!![cool]
[signature]
I've got a low-profile. With the rod I got, you'd think I needed a high-profile but the guides won't allow for the high-profile (guides aren't large enough). I'm supposing that I can pull in a good muskie or catfish with a rod rated for 15-30 lb test line.
[signature]
Way to go Rat, welcome to the world of extreme casting. It will take a little practice to bond with your new friend but once you got the hang of it, you won't want to change back too often.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks! I just took it out today and threw out a 1 1/2 ounce lure. I'm having trouble getting distance on my casts. No backlashes though!
[signature]