Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rigid Tube Apron
[cool][blue][size 1]I posted up some pics of the new concept TubeBabe came up with for a rigid apron for her Fat Cat. Until this weekend, she did not have a chance to try it out...upon the water. On Saturday, we installed it and launced for a trip to Saguaro Lake. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]She says she likes it. I like the way it rides flat and makes a sturdy platform upon which to play with tackle or mess with fish or bait.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have made no secret of the opinions I have about Outcast's wimpy apron setup. The aprons on the Fat Cats are nothing more than mesh lap towels. They are not efficient stripping aprons, nor are they useful for working on tackle or getting into lure boxes. Instead of stretching taut, to provide flat surface to work on, they lay limply on your legs and accomplish nothing. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have adapted my apron with stretch cord and clips to be somewhat better than factory issue (see previous post and pics). The rigid model, fashioned from the plastic lid of a plastic storage container, raises the "apron" surface several inches and really does make a handy working table.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The early responses to my first post were not too complimentary...ranging from kitchen sink to "sushi counter" (from TubeN2). I will let TubeBabe respond and give her own evaluation. She has been a good sport about the derisive comments and I think she will probably stick with the new system.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Here's a panoramic pic of TubeBabe and her Sushi Board on Saguaro Lake Saturday morning.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#ff00ff][size 2]Hey there TubeDude,[/size][/#ff00ff]

[#ff00ff][size 2]Happy Easter to you and your family. I guess that your Easter present to MamaTube was your tube. A real nice jesture on your part.[/size][/#ff00ff]
[signature]
That does look good!!!! Great idea, never underestimate the importance of a rigid work area. In this case you can work with lures/hooks on that surface without worry of hooking into the apron. You can even cut bait on that apron, no problem.

Blue? Yuk Smile doesn't match with your tube, just cause your fishing doesn't mean you can't be stylish, I would give that baby a paint job or use a green lid [crazy]
[signature]
I don't anticipate needing to prepare sushi on my new lap tray ... will leave that up to TubeDude! I've always been squeemish about the aprons provided with the Fat Cat. Sorting through my various lure boxes has been of great concern ... what would happen if one or more of them went overboard? There is just so much more that I can do with the rigid tube as shown in the photo ... you can be sure that I won't be going back to the original model! I had gotten used to the larger aprons to use to hoist my BIG fishes upon while removing hooks, etc. I expect that the new apron will serve me well in that respect ... now I just have to start catching some of them.
[signature]
The prototype came from a garage sale acquisition ... now that I know it works so well, I may pass it on to TubeDude and get me a pretty one!
[signature]
Now you talkin girlfriend *snaps*, Hee Hee [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Hustleman, as the Babe says the blue was a cheap prototype experiment. Now that she is happy with the beta test we are looking into other color options. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]We decided against safety orange. Presents too good a target for water skiers and PWC. Also makes your eyes go dingy after fishing awhile in bright light.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Same argument against bright white. The glare would be nasty.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Outcast green would be okay, but a nice color coordinated forest or leaf green would be prettier.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I voted against the Babe's favorite colors...pink and purple. Couldn't risk being on the water with her and being mistaken for a same sex couple from San Francisco.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]We have also wondered about an apron of glow in the dark plastic. That would make it great for night fishing.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Guess we need to make a trip to Home Depot to check paint chips and/or wallpaper. Some of that new vinyl stuff might do the trick. Forget the plush textured finishes. Might tend to absorb too much shad oil and accumulate a "dis-stinked" personality.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That's one of the benefits of the plastic apron. It can be washed down during and after each trip. I drilled holes in each of the four corners to facilitate drainage.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I'm probably going to make one up for myself. Truth is, that was my idea originally. She just jumped on it sooner and found the yard sale container for a buck before I could buy something pricier.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have even thought about making a hinged model, that can be folded and unfolded, but will remain rigid when in its intended position. Workin' on it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If all else fails, I will get out my fancy epoxy paints and glitters and go head on til my head hurts. Maybe some prism tape for extra flash. Take a look at some of the color combinations I have been working on for my new line of lead mold casting spoons.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I vote hot pink with glitter. Plenty of pretty gold and silver glitter. Also, the tube would look "fabulous" with a pretty hot pink paint job and gold trim. Yummy!!! Throw in a little purple swirl here and there plenty of glitter also. A few glow in the dark strips would be a nice fashion statement.

While your at it maybe you can add alittle "color" to the fishing rods too, black is so drab!!! It's a shame that the lures and Jigs are so pretty and colorfull they spend most of thier time under water so they can't be fully appreciated by the viewing public. Tubebabes pink cap would be perfect to complete the ensamble. With the new tubes paint job she may want to wear neutral yet light colors to accent the new and improved rigs appearance.

No need to be homophobic no one will think that....well as long as you don't decide to take tubebabes rig out for a ride. If you do don't be surprised if you get a few hoots and hollers directed your way. You never know you might meet someone "special" [Wink]

Can't wait to see the new paint job Smile
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Oh Al, you big silly. I wondered about your intentions when you sent me that hot picture with your gorgeous hairy lag in it last year. Now you are giving me hot flashes with all of your divine decorating ideas. Oh, be still my beating heart.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I simply must call Mr. Larry first thing in the morning to get the color scheme thing working. Maybe I can find some hot pink fishnet waders too. You think?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Ta Ta for now you savage.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
NO!!!!! Where have you been for the past year you big lug? Hot pink fishnet is so last year!!!! Especially for waders, you silly boy, you know that. Stop teasing, I know your fashion sense is more accute than that!

This years wader color is definitely fucia with some desert camo pattern thrown in to celebrate our big boys overseas. Although hot pink fishnet still works for fishing vests and always for pfd's.

I'm sorry but don't waste your time with Mr. Larry! That big Queen has nothing over me *snap*snap*[Tongue]
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

When's the next flight? Kinda reminds me of the pull-down tables.[Wink].

I got sick and tired of having my fly line blow all over the place so I made an improvement on my apron. (Seems like there is always a breeze anywhere near the beach.

I use one of my little bungie cords on the side of the tube (it being used anyways) to hook on the top edge of the fence to keep it upright till I secured it in place with velcro strips. My line stays in the 'instant basket'. I got my initial inspiration from the laundry bags sold at K-mart, etc.

I've included the illustration BELOW.

I call it a pop-up stripping basket.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Now you've gone and done it. Mr Larry just cancelled me as a "consultee". He read your post and got downright huffy. Threw a hissy sissy fit.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You also got me barred for life at the local military surplus outlet. I asked for some of your color soggestions in the camo gear department...while there was a group of survivalists in there getting geared up for a big gathering. Barely made it out of there alive.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Call me fashion-challenged if you want, but I think I will stay with what I got. Much less confrontational and less hazardous to my health.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]But, I really do appreciate your concerns for my style and welfare. I hope I have not offended you sweetie.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Another great idea, JR. I haven't done much serious fly flinging from flotation craft for awhile. But, when I used to work over the "half pounders" (early run steelhead) in the tidewaters of Northern Cal, I did throw a shooting head and running line a lot. I did not even try to keep the line on an apron. I took out a small rectangular plastic container that fit just right in my lap. The line coiled and uncoiled nicely in it and I seldom had any tangles or lost loops.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The idea of a pop up ridge around the apron is a great idea.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Have you ever fished the bonito in the winter at the warm water outflows at the power plant? If not, that is full contact fly fishing at its craziest. You really do need a good system for storing the line because you have to strip in the fly like crazy to get it moving fast enough for the bonito to be interested. I used to tuck the rod under one arm and strip madly with both hands. When a fish hit, it was a mad scramble to get hold of the rod and feed the hissing line back out through the guides and get the fish on the reel. Much fun.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Just another reason fishing is going downhill. Due to 9/11 the output times of the powerplants is classified and fences have been put around and within about a mile of any power plant water channel.

Don't fish here! No entry! Can't stop within 500 meters! Blocking of gate prohibited! No parking allowed! No Stopping!

Aren't they doing this to your area yet?????? Not to worry... they..............( heh heh) will!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Thanks a lot, JR, for ruining good memories and hopes for some return bouts in the future. Breaks my poor old heart. I guess it's true. You really can never go back.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The "fallout" from 9-11 is with us throughout the country. Here in Arizona we do not have any places where the thermal discharge of a power plant creates a special fishing spot. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]We do have a nuclear generating station (Palo Verde) which is one of the largest in the USA. It is only a half hour from Phoenix. There is a restricted access and a no fly zone around it, and it has been on a high alert status several times when the threat of terrorism goes up.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The terrorism thing hits home with fishermen everywhere who used to fish around dams. Many once fished in the lake, off the riprap face of the dam. Others enjoyed fishing the tailwaters. Many dams do not allow anyone within fishing distance anymore. That is the case on a couple of my favorite lakes in Arizona.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I suppose it would be too much to hope that we someday gain control of the radical element enough to allow us to return to a semblance of normal.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#004040][size 2]Hey there TubeDude,[/size][/#004040]

[#004040][size 2]How is the sushi board attached? Can you make a quick exit from your tube in an emergency? What I like about the board is now you have somewhere to place your hooks and and other goodies while changing your rigging. Try that on the mesh that came with the SFC and oops where did it go??[/size][/#004040]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey DryGuy, I posted the pics awhile back, before TubeBabe got to test the design on the water. Here they are again.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Basically, I drilled holes in the 4 corners and ran stretch cord across the top and bottom...with carabinier clips on the front and S hooks on the rear. They attach and disconnect quickly, and the board lays on the seat for transport.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If one were concerned about the fastest possible release, one could use S hooks on both top and bottom. They are held firmly in place on the D rings by the stretch cord, but are easily disconnected.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As I mentioned, that was originally my idea, and I like her liking it enough that I am going to try a couple more alternate designs. Although, the simplicity and effectiveness of the raised edges and the flat surface is going to be "hard" to improve upon. Can't beat it for a buck at a yard sale.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, you will notice in the pic of the underside that I used a grinding disc on my drill to take down some of the potentially irritatating plastic ridges. It does not have any points to create discomfort or wear a hole in waders.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD- your tubes are more decked out than my 19 ft boat!!!! I am almost willing to make a straight across trade!!! ha I am over here on the float tube board reading info on making rod holders, i am looking to make some for my boat!!!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Rob, as you can see, we have played around with a lot of designs. There are ready made prefab jobs available through the marine departments at BassPro and Cabelas. They work well for attaching to boats, but usually did not prove out for tubing. I have bought and tried them all. They all require too much modification to be good for tubes.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]My most recent designs, using pipe hanger straps, has proven to be a good solid way to mount PVC tubes. If you can't find enough samples on the board here, shoot me an email or PM and I can give you some more pics and suggestions.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Do you have a vertical surface upon which to mount vertical tubes, or will you have to be creative? You can easily make trolling tubes...at an angle...once you get the hang of working with PVC and know what you want.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Drop in anytime. And I doubt that you would be willing to part with your newly remodeled craft, even for a deluxe float tube.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Don't know if you picked up on it, but I am hatching a plan with BLM for me to show up on Bear Lake in October with my Super Fat Cat for an assault on the rock pile when the macks are makin' whoopie. During a finesse bite, the float tube approach can do some damage.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I do have some flat vertical surface i am going to mount rod holders too. I have some ideas on what I am going to do. Just dont want it to look shotty. IN the bow of my boat I am going to put some horizontal rod holders and in back by the seats I am going to put some vertical rod holders. This past weekend at the gorge i had rods scattered everywhere, and subsiquentally one got broken!!! Just want to solve that problem. I have a PVC idea on a canopy, but I will PM you with my thoughts!!!!

The Bear in late OCt early Nov??? I would love to hit the spawn on a tube. I may have to join ya!!! it is a ways out but keep me informed!!!!
[signature]