Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing Utah Lake
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Utah Lake is a much maligned body of water, that probably has no legitimate right to exist as a fishery. The good news is that in spite of everything humans have done to mess up the ecology and ruin it for fish habitat, it continues to sustain a large biomass of desirable species. And, the even better news is that most of these will readily accept flies.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I've been working on this little project for awhile. I have fished Utah Lake with just about every kind of bait and lure imaginable. Some of my most memorable experiences have been while flinging flies. Of course, the patterns usually do not resemble anything you might work for finicky trout on clear lakes and streams.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I began dredging the murky waters of Utah Lake with flies back in the mid 70's, after spending several years previously living and fishing in California. I brought some of the patterns I used for coastal steelhead and salmon and some I worked in the surf for perch and other tidal zone denizens. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Many of the larger local trout patterns, like wooly buggers, worked on Utah Lake's predatory species. But I added new colors and integetrated them with patterns along the lines of the "boss" flies fished for salmon and steelhead. Instead of palmer wrapping the hackle along the body, as with buggers, the hackle was wound all at [/size][/#0000ff][#0000ff][size 1]the front. These hackles pulse and make a good sound wave in murky water, for predators to key in on. The often bright colors also make them easier to see in turbid conditions.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have attached pics of the different genres of flies I have found most effective...including Pistol Petes, buggers, bosses. There are also a few of my own invention...the over and unders. Most of these flies are primarily my concoctions. Some are adaptations of other patterns. Some are completely original. The ones in the pics often incorporate materials from the craft store as well as standard tying materials.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I offer this stuff only as an idea of what I have found to be most effective, over many trips and countless esperiments. I am sure there are lots of other fairy wand enthusiasts out there that have developed their own patterns and techniques.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those are good lookin' patterns Dude!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Thanks, Don. By the way, some of those dudes will do damage on the fish in Colorado too. I moved over to Denver in the early 80's, between Utah and Arizona. I have used them in Cherry Creek, Chatfield and Pueblo. Also in a couple of the lakes out on the far end of the plains...near Yuma.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am adapting some of the patterns to bunny fur. Have you tried any bunny flies yet?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tube Dude,

I will have to try some of those patterns. I have caught my share on buggers

on my fly pole at Utah Lake as well. Thanks for the info.

John
[signature]
What species, other than bass, have you caught at Utah Lake on those flies?
[signature]
Dude,

Me thinks you need to come out and put on a demo.!!!!!!

[crazy]Leaky
Thanks for the info TubeDude-

I've tied a couple dozen bunny jigs for the Flaming Gorge macks. I hope to get up there this week. As for bunny flies, one of my favorite big trout flies is an articulated black bunny string-leech. You can tie them with lead eyes or bead chain eyes. I tie in some red flashabou strips. They also make a dynamite fly for big steelhead. Here's a picture. They're terrific. A buddy showed me the pattern. They take a while to tie, but they're sure worth the effort.
[signature]
To be honest with you, I have never seen anybody catch fish on Utah Lake with a fly rod. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I have seen many people show up with fly rods and leave empty handed.

I am sure it can be done though.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]TO KENT: I have caught every species of fish in Utah Lake on flies...including a couple of suckers I snagged. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]TO LEAKY: I should be back up there before the end of this year. I'll be happy to have a couple of tying sessions and we can put together a fly fishing flotilla for anyone silly enough to want to do it.The more the merrier. Verbal instructions can only take it so far. There is nothing like getting out and doing it to get the "reel feel" of the deal.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]TO DON: That black bugger pictured...with the red head and red Krystal Flash...is also an adaptation of one of my favorite steelhead flies. It became my favorite night fishing fly in Utah for big trout after dark. And the red and black is a good largemouth color. I could say almost the same words for both the black and white, black and purple and purple and white combos. Good for steelhead and good for Utah fishies of several species.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]TO GLASSYEYEDGUY: I have also seen a lot of folks fish fruitlessly with a flyrod...in many places. I didn't catch many in Utah Lake myself at first. And, I can still blank with the worst of them. Fishing flies is no guarantee of success, but merely another arrow in the quiver, so to speak.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let's face it, most of the folks who show up with fly rods are probably rigged for trout and use patterns and techniques more fitting to that species. Some will work, when the fish are in and active, but more often they leave frustrated.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have also seen tons and bunches of folks fish Utah Lake with spinning tackle, baitcasting, cane poles and handlines who only caught a cold or a lot of mosquito bites. As an experienced angler who knows the lake well, you doubtlessly realize that tackle and lures alone are no guarantee of success. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I still subscribe to the theory that you can catch more fish on the wrong lures...fishing them the right way in the right place...than you can with the right lures fished wrong or in the wrong place.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Utah Lake is definitely an example of a 90/10 water. At any given time, over 90% of the fish can be found in only 10% of the lake. To fish anywhere the fish are not is to wash lures and drown bait fruitlessly. It is no wonder that so many people have such a poor impression of poor old Utah Lake.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I threw a few flies at the Carp Spring Fling last saturday with no success, but then again, other than a few mudcats and a nice channel, I didn't see anyone else catching anything.

I'll post some pics of the "big" flies I tied up the other night. Size 2 and 4 streamer patterns. I tied up a size 2 with a chartruese marabou tail, white bucktail underneath, chartruese bucktail over wing, and a red bullet head.

I will get some this year! Now all I have to do is find an access to critical 10% that I don't have to pay to get into.
[signature]
Hey TD I love the flies!!! Can't wait till you get back here so I can see them in live action at a Utah Lake flotilla. Those whities won't know what hit 'em. Keep up the good work, and be sure to keep posting those pictures. They also serve as jumpstarters for others' ideas too.
[signature]